• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
WRENCH

Time accuracy.

For those using DAB, be aware that there is a delay in the broadcast vs FM.

In fact there are delays in every method of transmitting the time and for those of us mad enough to track the accuracy of our watches to within a fraction of a second a year, the trick is knowing the latency of each method. Stratum 1 time servers are pretty good but you have to think about the various network delays.

I have GPS disciplined 10 MHz TCXO reference for technical performance measurements (e.g. seeing how much variance there is in the length of a second as I change the temperature of the watch) and I use the average of twenty timings against two different Stratum 1 servers for my daily measurements of drift from Standard Time.

• Thanks 1

I just set which ever of my autos I'm going to wear to one of my RC watches...as long as it's 'about right', I'm not too worried. I've never actually 'timed' a watch.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I've never actually 'timed' a watch.

Poor show.

859910f0be81c8e1d87c8afd4559c23a8cd75de6

Bet you get to the airport on time. :laughing2dw:

Edited by WRENCH
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I have a wife for that...:laughing2dw:

What does your wife think about the article regarding the history of accurate time keeping them ? :hmmm9uh:

9 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

What does your wife think about the article regarding the history of accurate time keeping them ? :hmmm9uh:

She won't read the article because it's, and I quote her after showing her, 'Too geeky and sad and just for old farts like you (meaning me)'...she just consults the oracle that is her iPhone. :laughing2dw:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roger the Dodger said:

She won't read the article because it's, and I quote her after showing her, 'Too geeky and sad and just for old farts like you (meaning me)'...she just consults the oracle that is her iPhone. :laughing2dw:

When you retire in a few months, it wont matter. It will be " Six Saturdays and One Sunday" from then on....... And that's all you need to know. :yes:

3 hours ago, BlueKnight said:

When you retire in a few months, it wont matter. It will be " Six Saturdays and One Sunday" from then on....... And that's all you need to know. :yes:

Unfortunately, Mike, just when I thought I was going to be a 'kept' man, I have been informed, by my little Pirhana, in no uncertain terms, that 'If you think you're retiring, and I'm going to keep working, then you can think again'...so I might have to go onto a three day week...:sadwalk:

1 minute ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Unfortunately, Mike, just when I thought I was going to be a 'kept' man, I have been informed, by my little Pirhana, in no uncertain terms, that 'If you think you're retiring, and I'm going to keep working, then you can think again'...so I might have to go onto a three day week...:sadwalk:

Take to the road, I would. :yes:

19 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

that 'If you think you're retiring, and I'm going to keep working,

Bad planning Roger....:bash:

I planned my retirement so that she could retire at the same time. Happy wife, happy life.....  :yahoo:

giphy.gif

@BlueKnight...but she's got another 8 years to go yet...if she gives up now, not only will it affect her state pension, it'll affect my watch spending.....you haven't thought this out have you, Mike, whereas I have...she keeps working...whip.gif

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

.you haven't thought this out have you, Mike, whereas I have...

You are right. I haven't. I was so selfish not thinking about your watch habits. Will you forgive me?:inlove:

• Haha 1

I just look at the analog clock on my iphone (additional 'App), and compare that to my watches. I wear two, one a little slow and the other a little fast. Since I know how slow and how fast (give or take a second per fortnight), I set each watch so it will achieve parity with the Apple clock (same as the HP atomic clocks) within 10 days, then I watch them converge and diverge the other direction. After a 20 day period I start anew.

I still can't get my head round 'How accurate is my watch'....guys, it doesn't matter....you never need to be anywhere to within fractions of a second. Just chill.....running your life to 'time' just leads to heart attacks or strokes...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I still can't get my head round 'how accurate is my watch'....guys, it doesn't matter....you never need to be anywhere to within fractions of a second. Just chill.....

My wife asked me out of the blue for some sex on the kitchen table. " Are you in a very amorous mood?"

"No. The egg timer is broken."

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, BlueKnight said:

My wife asked me out of the blue for some sex on the kitchen table. " Are you in a very amorous mood?"

"No. The egg timer is broken."

Okay, I'll be complimentary and have to suspect that the eggs need to be very hard boiled?:wink::biggrin:

Just buy her a chronograph of her own, it'll save you taking your clobber of in Winter.:laugh:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Okay, I'll be complimentary and have to suspect that the eggs need to be very hard boiled?:wink::biggrin:

You are a very nice and charitable person.....:tongue:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BlueKnight said:

You are a very nice and charitable person.....:tongue:

I'm pretty soft boiled, these days.:wink::biggrin:

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Me, too! :yes:

Some of us have stopped believing our own fiction it seems?:laugh:

It'll happen a little later with some people.:rolleyes:

I'm glad I don't have anything to prove anymore.:wink:

• Like 1