• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
maxrussell

Setting date on Rotary quartz

I have a 90s Rotary quartz watch, which was my grandfathers. I've had the battery replaced recently and need to set the date, however when trying to rotate the bevel anti-clockwise, the top unscrews. Has anyone got instructions or experience of similar?

If you mean that the winder (crown) is coming unscrewed from its stem, try a tiny drop of threadlock on the thread of the stem before screwing the crown back on.

Right...so the ribbed/knurled knob at the side of the watch is known as the 'crown'. This is screwed onto the stem that protrudes into the watch and winds it, and when pulled out by the crown, sets the day/date. If the crown has become loose to the extent that it unscrews from the stem, then it needs re-tightening. Ideally, it's best to remove the crown/stem assembly from the watch, separate the two, apply Locktite threadlock, and re-assemble. If you can't remove the stem/crown as one unit, pull out the stem fully, unscrew the crown from the stem, put a tiny drop of Locktite blue 243 in the hole in the crown and screw back on, wiping away any excess that might sqeeze out. Leave for a few hours to set. Then push back in and use as normal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1