• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Steve D UK

Timekeeping accuracy. Am I being picky?

Let me just say of my four watches, my Tag Quartz keeps near perfect time, my G-Shock keeps spot on time (something about radio controlled timekeeping), my Speedmaster ‘57 Co-Axial is running between 0 & +1 secs a day and my SMPc between +1 & +3 secs per day. I bought my wife a Longines Master automatic watch for Christmas. It’s losing time averaging -11 seconds per day. I contacted them and I was told it’s not a chronometer and the timekeeping accuracy is -10 and +5 seconds per day. Wifey is not bothered but I am. Am I being picky? It has a 2 year guarantee and she wears it daily so should I leave it for now and see if it 'runs in' with use? 

-11 is more than -10.

so get it sorted on their dime ! 

thats 77 seconds a week which is pretty rubbish for a modern watch... i'd need to be paid to wear a modern watch out by a minute a week!

Edited by Rotundus

It's a subjective topic....some are and some (me) aren't. While I can see that some would be obsessive about the accuracy of their timepiece, I'm not. As I only wear any of my watches for a few hours at a time...probably less than 6 hours at any one time, the accuracy is never in question...as I've often said on here...'about then' is good enough for me. My DB is a radio controlled Casio that never wavers if I need to be accurate.

If it were my watch I wouldn't give a rip, but that's because I have so many that I wouldn't wear it often enough to matter. But if it were my girlfriend's only watch, well, no, I still wouldn't care. It's only a few seconds. I prefer fast rather than slow, but it isn't a big deal at all.

Yeah, I guess I am being picky - wife couldn’t give a toss. I only have two automatic mechanical watches but I check/set whichever one I am wearing every night to get it spot on. I'm not being sexist, but most women seem not to have any interest in mechanical watch movements so perhaps I should have bought her a quartz watch and to be really honest, she doesn’t appreciate the display caseback and said she would have been just as happy with a thirty quid watch from Next or Debenhams! 

• Haha 3

We have two Tag automatics, mine keeps near perfect time but the wife's loses around 20 seconds a day, sent it back but on return I'd say it's still the same, bugs me but the wife isn't bothered.

• Haha 1

Just to put all this into perspective, I bought a nice quality pre-owned stopwatch by "TIM" the other day, complete with box. Underneath the foam "mattress" in the box I found the following note, "I certify that watch No: (N/A)... Make: (TIM)... Type: (1/10 Stop)... being the property of: (no entry here)... has been examined by me and found to be in good working order, within the required gain or loss limit of ONE SECOND IN ONE HOUR. The jeweller issuing this certificate has then signed and dated it to 27/5/78, with his company stamp showing the firm to be Alan J, Martin, 63/65 High Street, Headcorn, Kent.:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/01/2019 at 23:55, Steve D UK said:

Yeah, I guess I am being picky - wife couldn’t give a toss. I only have two automatic mechanical watches but I check/set whichever one I am wearing every night to get it spot on. I'm not being sexist, but most women seem not to have any interest in mechanical watch movements so perhaps I should have bought her a quartz watch and to be really honest, she doesn’t appreciate the display caseback and said she would have been just as happy with a thirty quid watch from Next or Debenhams! 

Yeah, this is why I've never given my girl an auto.

I've given a couple buddies at work and my nephew and Dad a couple mechanicals each and regretted it because they wonder why it loses time sometimes. I explain, it's because you don't wear it every day. They still don't get it...

I don’t think you’re being picky, so send it back because it’s outside their promised tolerance and demand they regulate it. 

Not a difficult job. It should come back close to perfect and at least within THEIR prescribed accuracy tolerance. 

If you’re picky then I’m picky too!

• Like 1

There is a few things here, If it's in the parameters they set, and the cost of the watch. Usually seiko, have a real crazy scale to cover themselves, like +10- +40, clearly to cover themselves. You can't expect chronometer ratings on certain brands and certain price points, but if you want, certain movements and be regulated.