• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Roger the Dodger

The OCD thread

1 hour ago, The Mystery Bidder said:

Same here, but it's "The Avengers" on ITV4 with me.  I've been trying to get two episodes with Anthony Valentine!  I would like the non-signed versions too!

I feel you frustration!

There are also 4 episodes of Columbo I haven't got, been monitoring the episode numbers, no sign of them

• Like 1

Leaving lights on then walking out the room!

every morning I just follow Kate around the house putting lights out when she leaves for work. I have actually came home at lunch time and every light in the house is still on. :evil9kf:

• Like 1

Everything has a place, and that is exactly where it should be. 

Mechanical silence on my bicycle. I've spent a fortune to attain it, single speed, belt drive works. I once spent hours trying to find an intermittent rattle. It was my bracelet hitting the stud on my jacket cuff. :bash:

Oh, and my violin, nobody touches it. 

On 06/05/2019 at 15:48, JoT said:

If I record a TV series I just HAVE to record the full series and get very agitated if one is missed out. I have been trying to get Kojak series 4 episode 14 for months but for the last three rotations ITV4 have only shown this episode with the sign language person in the bottom corner which is no good, can't watch it, far too distracting. Anyway this rotation guess what? Yes mornings only again because of horse racing or something in the afternoon at Kojak's usual time. I have set the box to record both the regular and HD version as well as the +1 broadcast just in case one of them doesn't have the deaf signer but I am not very hopeful.

Update: I recorded the episode on ITV4, ITVHD and ITV4+1 and all three had the deaf signer in the corner of the screen

Looks like I will have to wait until the next rotation

:hourglass-not-done:

Can't sit down to dinner until all the cookware has been cleaned.

Otherwise I spend the whole meal sitting there thinking about it.

Helpfully it means I also miss a large part of the family's noisy mastications.

Cheerio

QL

• Like 1

My wife has an OCD affliction regarding bleach and toilets. Every toilet in our house has at least one bottle of bleach standing next to it and each toilet gets a dose first thing in the morning, last thing at night and probably several times in between. There are at least 4 bottles in each weekly shop. Mr. Sainsbury must have had several quite nice holidays on the money she's spent on bleach over the years.

• Haha 2

Toothpaste tube, I always make sure it is squeezed from the bottom and get very irritated when the tube has been squeezed in the middle or top

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JoT said:

Toothpaste tube, I always make sure it is squeezed from the bottom and get very irritated when the tube has been squeezed in the middle or top

You should chill out its only a toothpaste tube :tooth:

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, rolexgirl said:

You should chill out its only a toothpaste tube :tooth:

How often have you been tempted to give it a squeeze in the middle? Does he have a quartz watch? Could really get him going by saying the second hand almost hits the markers. After he has spent some hours studying it through a loupe and declaring it perfect, you ask to have a look an casually say "seems Ok except for one" - then go out for a long walk. :thumbs_up:

• Haha 1

im not sure whether it counts as ocd, but i've always to check my car keys are there last thing at night, sometimes a few times before im happy. It goes right back to being at University when i was about 19, i couldnt go to sleep until i had checked the keys to my 635 were on my desk right next to my timetable for the next day. I used to dig my thumb nail into the plastic bmw badge in the dark to feel it was there and it bore the scars when i sold it in 1995. 

It must be a comfort thing apparently as a baby i used to feel for my dads mushtache and if it was mums upper lip that my groping hand fell on in the dark i used to cry. Must be a safety thing. No Tash, no keys. 

Electrics and locks, specifically when leaving the house.  As I switch things off in the morning before leaving for work, I have developed the annoying habit of saying to myself “Off, and spoken off!”  The idea being, I suppose, that if I have told myself it’s off then I know it’s off. 

Consequently when I lock the front door I say “Locked, and spoken locked!”  Which works very well until I have backed the car out of the garage, by which time I have to go and check the front door again! 

:laughing2dw: Apart from that, I’m not OCD at all. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, JoT said:

In the days of the older tinfoil tubes, my father would take a knife handle to the bottom of the tube and squeeze all the contents towards the top...then the flattened bottom of the tube would be rolled as tight as possible up to the remaining contents. With the newer plastic tubes, although you can still move the remaining dregs up to the top, the tubes won't stay rolled up. Pretty sure you used to be able to buy a 'key' to do this....rather like an elongated sardine tin key.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

the tube would be rolled as tight as possible up to the remaining contents...

Is toothpaste scarce, expensive in Berkshire?

6 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

would take a knife handle to the bottom of the tube and squeeze all the contents towards the top...

Do you have staff for this procedure?

:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Karrusel said:

Is toothpaste scarce, expensive in Berkshire?

Do you have staff for this procedure?

:rolleyes:

I suppose in the late 50s, things were still scarce or expensive (relatively speaking) and frugallity was a way of life. Dad was probably only earning about 10/- a week back then as a GPO engineer. As I wrote in the what are you eating thread, tinned sardines on toast for tea was a rare treat, and dripping on toast was a breakfast favourite, too.

13 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

In the days of the older tinfoil tubes, my father would take a knife handle to the bottom of the tube and squeeze all the contents towards the top...then the flattened bottom of the tube would be rolled as tight as possible up to the remaining contents. With the newer plastic tubes, although you can still move the remaining dregs up to the top, the tubes won't stay rolled up. Pretty sure you used to be able to buy a 'key' to do this....rather like an elongated sardine tin key.

Check this out Rog - an Aladdin's cave of tube squeezers. This could keep @JoT happy for years to come - no more trying to think what he would like for birthday's. Could even be the start of a new collection and so much cheaper than watches. :OyVey:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=toothpaste+squeezer&hvadid=80882855741798&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&qid=1560760268&ref=sr_pg_1

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, richy176 said:

Check this out Rog - an Aladdin's cave of tube squeezers. This could keep @JoT happy for years to come - no more trying to think what he would like for birthday's. Could even be the start of a new collection and so much cheaper than watches. :OyVey:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=toothpaste+squeezer&hvadid=80882855741798&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&qid=1560760268&ref=sr_pg_1

Now that's something to consider :laugh:

• Haha 1

On 16/06/2019 at 20:28, Roger the Dodger said:

father would take a knife handle to the bottom of the tube and squeeze all the contents towards the top...then the flattened bottom of the tube would be rolled as tight as possible up to the remaining contents

I still do this, Roj - Dad taught us well, although I wouldn't have regarded this as OCD, just sensible household economics - doesn't everyone do this?

I have modified the technique somewhat as I use the edge of a glass vial to do the squeezing (the sort you might typically use for collecting bees) and apply a large bulldog clip to the tightly rolled polyfoil tube to prevent it unravelling. The latter also allows you to hang the neatened tube from a small hook.

Cheerio

QL

Edited by Q.Lotte
Typo
  • Like 1

Another one that drives me to distraction is when 'people' (I can barely bring myself to call them 'family') open more than one box of cereal at a time. Before you know it you've got 2 or even 3 boxes on the go.  Inevitably one of them will start to go stale (heaven forfend the perpetrators of this disorder should ever properly fold and crimp the inner bag) and I'm condemned to a day or so of finishing off the less than perfect remainder.

The same applies to cheese, when I regularly find several different sorts open in the fridge at one time, rather than them being opened and consumed one after the other as any sane person would do.

Ditto bags of coffee and multifarious teas.

Cheerio

QL

10 minutes ago, Q.Lotte said:

The same applies to cheese, when I regularly find several different sorts open in the fridge at one time, rather than them being opened and consumed one after the other as any sane person would do

You must do very dull cheese boards. :clap: No, you can not start on the Stilton until the Cheddar is finished. :bash:

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, richy176 said:

You must do very dull cheese boards. :clap: No, you can not start on the Stilton until the Cheddar is finished. :bash:

The simplest way to manage this situation is to provide a variety of different cheeses (to appear a generous host) but ensure that there is only one of each type, e.g. one hard cheese, one soft, one blue and perhaps a ramekin of BabyBel and Dairylea (plus spare ramekin for wrappers).  The trick then is to only provide one sort of cheese knife at a time, to prevent the guests from starting all the different types at the same time. 

Once the particular type of cheese (for example, the cheddar) has been fully consumed, the knife can be removed and washed up and the second type of knife (for example, a stilton spoon) brought out so that the second type of cheese can be started.  For anybody not liking the particular type of cheese that is 'in play', they can help themspeves to the BabyBel / Dairylea pot until their favourite comes around. 

Of course it is important to ensure compliance: if anybody should use the current knife for the wrong type of cheese you must remove the knife immediately, noting quietly (important) that you are taking it to the kitchen to wash it.  The first time this occurs, I suggest that the 'washing' (i.e. absence) should last approximately 120 seconds.  The second time around 300 seconds, the third time 600 seconds and so on.  The frustration of the temporary 'cheese fast' thus imposed should ultimately be enough to ensure that fellow guests begin to self-regulate, warning their companions of the consequences of an infringement.

If you anticipate 'difficult' guests, then you can double down by selectively introducing the correct biscuits for each type of cheese.  If they still remain resistant then the selective pairing of the available beverage to each cheese may get their attention, for example a white wine for the soft cheese, beer or cider for the cheddar and Um Bongo for the Stilton.

If there is a danger that your guests are naive to the correct cheese/knife/biscuit/beverage combination, then it may a good idea to prepare some laminated help guides for their reference.

Hope this helps.

• Haha 2

My cheeseboards tend to be mainly Kraft cheese slices (unwrapped, of course), a tub of Dairylea and a selection of Primula tubes including shrimp, ham and chive varieties. I've no time for all these 'poncey' cheeses.

I have been known to berate the sweet waiter in so called 'up market' restaurants for the lack of foil wrapped cream cheese triangles on their sadly lacking cheese boards. 

9 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

My cheeseboards tend to be mainly Kraft cheese slices (unwrapped, of course), a tub of Dairylea and a selection of Primula tubes including shrimp, ham and chive varieties. I've no time for all these 'poncey' cheeses.

I have been known to berate the sweet waiter in so called 'up market' restaurants for the lack of foil wrapped cream cheese triangles on their sadly lacking cheese boards. 

I hope you use tube squeezers to avoid any waste. :whistle:

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, richy176 said:

I hope you use tube squeezers to avoid any waste. :whistle:

Oh indeed...the 710 did once try squeezing the contents out into small paper cups of the variety used for ketchup in such esteemed eateries as MacDonalds or Burger King, but unless consumed, they tended to form a rather unappetising crust, thus rendering them useless. We now use the 'Ezy Skweezy' tube wringers to get the most from our tubes. :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

On 06/05/2019 at 21:40, WRENCH said:

Mechanical silence on my bicycle. I've spent a fortune to attain it, single speed, belt drive works. I once spent hours trying to find an intermittent rattle. It was my bracelet hitting the stud on my jacket cuff.

"There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can "overhaul" it, or you can ride it. ... The mistake some people make is in thinking they can get both forms of sport out of the same machine. This is impossible; no machine will stand the double strain. You must make up your mind whether you are going to be an "overhauler" or a rider."  Jerome K. Jerome 'Three Men on the Bummel'

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

We now use the 'Ezy Skweezy' tube wringers to get the most from our tubes

The bulldog clip method of securing the rolled end of the tube makes an excellent budget alternative.  By fashioning a small hook out of a paperclip, this enables the tightly rolled tube (or tubes, if ... you ... are that kind of person) to be neatly 'filed' in a hanging fashion under a wire rack in the refrigerator, saving a small amount of over shelf space.