• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

What Are You Looking At?

:thumbsup: - felt a little like Equilibrium to me - worth a watch anyway :yes:

Exactly what I though too... a guy falling out of the dystopia thing. So also a bit like THX1138 and the Omega Man (distant similitude). The final made me think of Brazil by Terry Gilliam... and it also reminded me of Gattaca. So all good references.

Regrading Equilibrium... have you watched Ultraviolet? It's made by the same guy and has all that GunKata thing but with... Milla Jovovich :drool: :man_in_love: . I can't remember anything from the movie except Milla and her moves :P

Not seen ultraviolet - got it confused with areon flux (*spelling*) - THX is another fantastic film!

Will give those films (above) a watch Renato, I do enjoy a good sci-fi! I watched predators recently and was left disappointed - shame really...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Staring at 21.00 on Monday 10th June Forces TV they are showing Gerry Anderson's cult "U.F.O." sci-fi series (remastered and uncut apparently) from the early 1970's  Might be one for @The Mystery

Yes!  I'm back in business!    Thanks to @Roy, @JoT and of course yourself Roger, who helped to solve the problem! Watching 'Minder' on ITV4+1.  

@Q.Lotte...this might be one for you to look at too, bro...remember the zip wire we had down mum and dad's garden and the 'Corgi' UFO 'Interceptor' doused in lighter fuel and arriving in flames...

Posted Images

I saw "Через тернии к звёздам" when I was a teenager. I wouldn't say it was good or bad, just "Soviet" sci-fi. :wink2:

It's on YouTube in two parts: Через тернии к звёздам

Later,

William

+1...and wasn't she cool in her debut (I think) film The Fifth Element?

Much cooler than you think Roger! Her debut on the big screen was in "The Return to the Blue Lagoon" (1991) :man_in_love:

aph26.jpg

The 5th Element was in 1997. Oh Milla, Milla... :bangin:

+1...and wasn't she cool in her debut (I think) film The Fifth Element?

Much cooler than you think Roger! Her debut on the big screen was in "The Return to the Blue Lagoon" (1991) :man_in_love:

aph26.jpg

The 5th Element was in 1997. Oh Milla, Milla... :bangin:

Oh..Helloooooo!

How do you know all this cr@p, Renato?...you really need to get out more! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Roger the Dodger

If you have a list of Russian movies to recommend let me know. I hear there have been a few Bulgakov books put into film, are they any good?

I'm afraid I don't Robert... and I doubt there are good Bulgakov adaptations to film, I mean, his writing is too surreal for that. BTW, The Master and Margarita is on my top ten of best books of all times!

There has been a few new Russian movies lately, like the Night Watch which are more westerner and that I haven't enjoyed all that much. Classics are the one William mentioned (Fortress of War) and movies by the "master" Tarkovskiy, like Stalker (which I didn't enjoy one bit, it's too intellectual for my low IQ) and Solaris (much better than the American remake, although that one is a wonderful movie too. The book is amazing!)

Oh, and I'm forgetting a modern Russian classic!! (9th Company)

ryaba1024x768.jpg

Oh, and another one... :P This one is a gigantic film in scope but has an weird cutting and editing. Still, you guys should check it out.

1midi.jpg

How do you know all this cr@p, Renato?...you really need to get out more! :lol: :lol: :lol:

No I don't!! Ask Martin, he'll tell you what happened to me this very weekend!!

So who was in the original 'Blue Lagoon'?...I think it was a couple of child actors who have now become famous...Brooke Shields seems to ring a bell...

Yeap, Brooke Shields! :ok:

Edited by Kutusov

That 'Brest Fortress' looks quite harrowing, Ive been reading a bit of Russian history and the poor buggers had a hell of a 20th Century , WW1 then Stalin then WW2 then the cold war.... Poor feckers had it rough.....

No I don't!! Ask Martin, he'll tell you what happened to me this very weekend!!

So who was in the original 'Blue Lagoon'?...I think it was a couple of child actors who have now become famous...Brooke Shields seems to ring a bell...

Yeap, Brooke Shields! :ok:

In about '96 I nicked Brook's pen from her dressing room on an Ealing Studios film set! It was only a cheapie, not exactly crime of the century, but it was when my love of films started.

That 'Brest Fortress' looks quite harrowing, Ive been reading a bit of Russian history and the poor buggers had a hell of a 20th Century , WW1 then Stalin then WW2 then the cold war.... Poor feckers had it rough.....

And don't forget the Civil War right after the Bolshevik revolution, from 1917 to 1923. According to wikipedia, the death toll goes as follows:

" The results of the civil war were momentous. Soviet demographer Boris Urlanis estimated total number of men killed in action in Civil War and Polish-Soviet war as 300,000 (125,000 in the Red Army, 175,500 White armies and Poles) and total number of military personnel died from disease (on both sides) as 450,000.

During the Red Terror, the Cheka carried out an estimated 250,000 summary executions of "enemies of the people".

Some 300,000–500,000 Cossacks were killed or deported during Decossackization, out of a population of around three million. An estimated 100,000 Jews were killed in Ukraine, mostly by the White Army. Punitive organs of the All Great Don Cossack Host sentenced 25,000 people to death between May 1918 and January 1919. Kolchak's government shot 25,000 people in Ekaterinburg province alone.

At the end of the Civil War, the Russian SFSR was exhausted and near ruin. The droughts of 1920 and 1921, as well as the 1921 famine, worsened the disaster still further. Disease had reached pandemic proportions, with 3,000,000 dying of typhus alone in 1920. Millions more were also killed by widespread starvation, wholesale massacres by both sides, and pogroms against Jews in Ukraine and southern Russia. By 1922, there were at least 7,000,000 street children in Russia as a result of nearly 10 years of devastation from the Great War and the civil war."

Since we were talking about books early on, there's a masterpiece by Mikhail Sholokhov (Literature Nobel Price in 1965) called "And Quiet Flows the Don" that is a bit like Tolstoy's "War and Peace" but centred around the Russian Civil War, seen by the Cossack side. I consider it even better than War and Peace. It's hard to get, even in English. There are several volumes (it's huge) and the complete work changes in volume numbers and titles from publisher to publisher. I remember that Amazon didn't use to have the full set, just an abridged version of the whole thing, so be careful if you try to get one.

Took me about an year to get the real thing, in a Portuguese translation, published by a company that went bankrupted long ago. It was only when I met a book distributor that had the full set left forgotten in his warehouse that I was able to read it. Since then I tried to get it again to offer as gifts to close friends but I was never able to do so. Anyway, be on look out, it is a XXth century masterpiece!

Edited by Kutusov

That looks really cool Kutusov, gonna see if i can get a hold of that :thumbsup:

recently watched The Veteran, low budget UK film, starring brian cox, cool movie ( well i liked it anyway ) story is original and good acting all throughout. gonna give :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: outa 5

Have also watched DEVIL , again story is a bit different with the film only 118 mins long its just right, just enough involvement without to much cheese. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: outa 5

This one has been out for a while but went under my radar... from the trailer it looks like fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrIiYSdEe4E&feature=related

I saw the trailer at the theatre in 3D. It looked like a big steaming pile of digital. Maybe it is a good movie, but I suspect the trailer is the best part. It dropped off the radar very soon after it came out.

Later,

William

I saw the trailer at the theatre in 3D. It looked like a big steaming pile of digital. Maybe it is a good movie, but I suspect the trailer is the best part. It dropped off the radar very soon after it came out.

Later,

William

Don't no William, seems like the Ultraviolet one to me... pretty girls in short skirts and tight clothes kicking **** in kong-fu style :assassin: ... what more do you need??? :P

I'm downloading it now so I'll tell you later on how it goes...

I think you ought to download 'The Fifth Element' and drool over Milla....that'll be much more fun! :whistle:

'Mool-tee-pass!'

Roger, you'll have to see Ultraviolet then!! You'll run out of drool :wink:

Just finished watching "Sucker Punch"... well, it's an almost 2 hour long movie trailer and the ultimate geek orgasm. Manga style pretty girls in video game fighting scenes with dragons, orks and robots with big guns, all with a kick **** soundtrack. I think there's a very "deep" Emo message in there somewhere too :dntknw: .

Very good if you are after 2 hours of lobotomised fun!

Æon Flux was mentioned a while back, as films go, it wasn't very satisfying as cartoon based movies go. It started me thinking of other MTV animated series. I think they should do a live action adaptation of "The Head". 90% of the adaptations they are doing now fail, but I think The Head could fail in an extra special cool sort of way. :D

thehead.jpg

Later,

William

I think you ought to download 'The Fifth Element' and drool over Milla....that'll be much more fun! :whistle:

'Mool-tee-pass!'

Got both on DVD, but IMHO, I think she looks nicer in TFE...I think its the 'innocence' of her character that does it...she seems so defenceless...completely the opposite of Ultraviolet!

Edited by Roger the Dodger

'Mool-tee-pass!'

Just finished watching "Sucker Punch"... well, it's an almost 2 hour long movie trailer and the ultimate geek orgasm. Manga style pretty girls in video game fighting scenes with dragons, orks and robots with big guns, all with a kick **** soundtrack. I think there's a very "deep" Emo message in there somewhere too :dntknw: .

Very good if you are after 2 hours of lobotomised fun!

I had the displeasure of that one when it came out. The cinema was half teenage geeky lads and half dirty old men - not sure which half I fell into!?

Got both on DVD, but IMHO, I think she looks nicer in TFE...I think its the 'innocence' of her character that does it...she seems so defenceless...completely the opposite of Ultraviolet!

Oh, I like my women to be anything but innocent!! :wink: :naughty:

I had the displeasure of that one when it came out. The cinema was half teenage geeky lads and half dirty old men - not sure which half I fell into!?

I was going to say you probably stood in the middle between a rock and a hard place but, given the nature of the two groups, that could be a bit to literal and nasty to say :P