• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Stuart Davies

What Are You Looking At?

Here's another Japanese anime worth checking out, Will.

I'm half way through it and it's amazingly good so far. Art alone is superb.

Edited by Kutusov

I'm not too sure about that Ergo Proxy.

I saw a film the other night that I hadn't seen since I was a teen, it is likely one of the best films ever made about professional criminals. Get Carter, and I don't mean that Stallone thing:

http://youtu.be/d8g1bgiU4yc

Later,

William

Watched a few recently, Rush- Brilliant, but also 'After Earth' which as far as I can see is a ego trip for the family Smith, its pretty lame and the boy Smith should get some exams under his belt to have a fall back career .....

I saw "After Birth" recently as well. Certainly not great, but there have been some dreadful adaptations and remakes recently that were far worse without the excuse that it was a family project. It at least basically remained on topic.

So.... Take a knee! :lol:

Later,

William

Edited by William_Wilson

I was given an Amazon gift voucher recently & spent it on the following:

2 x films:

Zero Dark Thirty - pretty good film about the hunt for Osama Bin Laden, despite the known ending it's definitely worth watching.

The Impossible - about the aftermath of the tsunami that hit Thailand a few years ago & the effect it had on one particular English family. Ewan McGregor & Naomi Watts star & it's very good indeed if not particularly easy viewing.

1 x tv series:

Arrow Season 1 - American tv series about a spoilt rich kid who is shipwrecked on an uncharted island for 5 years, learns how to survive/fight/shoot a bow & arrow, gets rescued, returns home & becomes a vigilante. It's based on a DC comics character (very much like Batman in feel) & is excellent with a good storyline, good acting, plenty of action (unlike Agents of Shield) with interesting characters. I'm hooked with 2 1/2 dvd's still to go :thumbup: - happily Season 2 has just been aired (I think) in the States so, hopefully, I'll be able to buy that soon :)

1 x film to watch:

the new Vin Diesel/Riddick film - I like the character (& enjoyed both of the previous films) so I'm quite looking forward to it (though it didn't get very good reviews) - I actually tried watching it on Friday night but the family were making too much noise so I gave it up as a bad job - I'll watch it later in the week when the rest of the family is out :)

Edited by pauluspaolo

Arrow is made in Canada for a lesser American TV network. Right now, it is midway through the second series.

Here is a teaser for you: They have introduced the Flash in his pre-Flash form and had the events transpire that lead to his creation. Also, Arrow has inadvertently created Speedy by his own hand.

Later,

William

I saw "After Birth" recently as well. Certainly not great, but there have been some dreadful adaptations and remakes recently that were far worse without the excuse that it was a family project. It at least basically remained on topic.

Later,

William

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26405307

Hee hee.....

Later,

William

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26405307

Hee hee.....

:lol:

It's a perfect film for a rainy Saturday afternoon when there's F' all else to do. :D

Later,

William

I've watched that... it really is a big steamy lump of :pooh:

Yes, but it is competing in an area occupied by many steaming piles. You know it is not going to be even close to good. Now think of Oblivion, that was two steaming piles, featuring Tom Cruise playing the exact character he plays in every film now. In fact, I don't that is even Tom Cruise anymore. I suspect the church replaced him with a reprogrammed clone after his meltdown.

Anyway, my point is that it is a simplistic story that manages to be at least as good as all the other crap competing in the Pantheon of CGI driven crap. If the production companies would spend a small fraction of the advertising budget to employ capable writers and allow them to do their jobs without interfering, there would be better value in theatres. :oldman:

Later,

William

Don't know, After Earth was pretty bad... but then again there's nothing I've watched lately that even deserves a mention here. I have a lot of films on the back burner though, I've been a lot more into TV shows and Japanese animes. At least they run with some original and interesting ideas...

This one was pretty cool

The problem with Japanese cartoons anime is that even if the story is completely pure, you are still wondering when it is going to turn out that the male and female characters are father/daughter mother/son aunt/uncle all at the same time. If not that, then a demon and tentacle monster will show up. After this it starts to get weird.

fishpleasure.jpg

I've been waiting ages to use that one. :D

Later,

William

:lol: :lol:

...nothing weird on Japanese anime :whistle:

jyjytjyt.gif

See? Greenpeace doesn't get the meaning when people say they are ****ing the dolphins over there :D

Eventually got to Wolf of Wall Street, was worried as everyone panned it - It's brilliant! It has some of the funniest scenes I've seen in a movie for years, this bit [it's in two vids here] deserves an oscar easily: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2V2w1dLVo4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwXwlEaZZyU

Dug out District 9 to watch, forgot how intelligent, funny and well made this film is, probably one of the best scifi movies in the last ten years. AfterBirth doesn't even make it to the cuts compared to this...

I finally got round to watching Taxi Driver the other day. And it didn't disappoint. De Niro's best in my opinion!

Also my first post, so hi everybody :thumbsup:

Dug out District 9 to watch, forgot how intelligent, funny and well made this film is, probably one of the best scifi movies in the last ten years. AfterBirth doesn't even make it to the cuts compared to this...

It wasn't a Hollywood film, they were allowed to use things like metaphor and actual social issues in the story. Its entire budget was a fraction of the promotional budget of a Tom Cruise or Marvel/DC super hero film budget. Seriously, "Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel" has a better constructed script than most of the Hollywood action/sci-fi films.

I suppose my point is that considering that the money wasted on most Hollywood films could be used to make 10 decent films that were not trying to outdo each other with effects. So... finding a film that doesn't make you want to punch somebody in the face is rather difficult. Therefore, "After Earth", inexplicable as it was, didn't make me angry (it helped that I didn't see it in the theatre). :wink:

Later,

William

Watched 'American Hustle' the remake last night and thought it was great! Im slowly coming round to think that Bale is a pretty good actor, and De Nero is in it for 5 minutes, looking a lot like Woody Alan...... :thumbup:

Frozen - much better than I expected and definitely worthy of its Oscar - 8/10

Last Vegas - Harmless fun, and it gave me quite a few laughs. Still pretty terrible though - 5/10

Watched 'American Hustle' the remake last night and thought it was great! Im slowly coming round to think that Bale is a pretty good actor, and De Nero is in it for 5 minutes, looking a lot like Woody Alan...... :thumbup:

Bale is definitely a good actor, it just depends whether it bothers you to know that in real life he's a bit of an *******

I just walked out of the new 300 movie..absolute garbage..avoid at all cost..which is a shame as I liked the original movie

I just walked out of the new 300 movie..absolute garbage..avoid at all cost..which is a shame as I liked the original movie

THIS, is why I won't be paying to see it any time soon :( such a shame...

Dallas Buyers club - well acted and well made. Fairly straightforward story but enjoyable enough.

Grand Budapest Hotel - nutty Wes Anderson caper film. A bit like Fantastic Mr Fox with humans instead of stop motion models. Can't say it was a classic bit enjoyable and quirky enough at the time.

:cheers:

Rich.