• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Stuart Davies

What Are You Looking At?

1 minute ago, Cassie-O said:

Watching Sir David on "The One Show", oh my goodness, so handsome!  :king:

Is it the film or the Edward Woodward series?  

It was the Denzil Washington film and was absolutely brilliant...made Edward Woodward look rather effeminate....Hope there's a sequel.

4 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

It was the Denzil Washington film and was absolutely brilliant...made Edward Woodward look rather effeminate....Hope there's a sequel.

No!  Woodward is "The Equalizer" for me!  :king:. Mind you, I do find Woodward very attractive.  :whistle:

7 minutes ago, Cassie-O said:

No!  Woodward is "The Equalizer" for me!  :king:. Mind you, I do find Woodward very attractive.  :whistle:

I suppose the E.W. series does look dated...it was the mid to late eighties...and being a bloke, I don't find E.W. in the least attractive...sorry...:sorry:

And apparently, there is a sequel to the first film...I must see if it's on Netflix.

I saw this back in the 70's and remember it as being quite scary;  much more so than the various silly Hammer versions featuring monsters with huge boots, square heads and bolts through their necks.

DVD is winging its way from Chicago as the USA discs appear to feature the full 185+ minute version rather than the various shorter ones on UK discs or Prime Video/YouTube:

On 09/12/2019 at 19:20, Cassie-O said:

Perhaps this is because the series ran from 1985-1989. By my reckoning, you had only just been born, so obs didn't see the series until much later. I did watch the original series, and at the time I remember them being quite exciting. It came after the 'Sweeny' and 'The Professionals' which had finished by then. Have you seen his earlier famous series, 'Callan', which ran from 1967-1972?.....He plays David Callan, a secret service agent....he looks a lot younger there!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Perhaps this is because the series ran from 1985-1989. By my reckoning, you had only just been born, so obs didn't see the series until much later. I did watch the original series, and at the time I remember them being quite exciting. It came after the 'Sweeny' and 'The Professionals' which had finished by then. Have you seen his earlier famous series, 'Callan', which ran from 1967-1972?.....He plays David Callan, a secret service agent....he looks a lot younger there!

I've got the two boxsets of "Callan", I really like Callan and Lonely's friendship, well if you can call it friendship!  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Watched the final of Masterchef last night...I really wanted Olivia to win as I thought she produced the most consistently good dishes throughout, so was a bit disappointed when they gave it to Stu, who, although good as well, seemed to produce most of his dishes with an Asian fusion element, which I didn't think would be to everyone's taste...especially traditionalists like me.

The new 3 part adaption on BBC of Dracula which started last night (weds) with Thursday and fridays episodes to follow, only started to watch it by chance as i was browsing the channels, plenty of blood and stuff for true horror fans along with some witty lines from Dracula himself, and also sister Agatha a nun who it turns out is Van Helsing.Really enjoyed it and we`ve got to remember this is just an adaption and the creators have added stuff to the legend, dracula is quite a cool dude in this.......for an evil vampire.:evil9kf:

On 02/01/2020 at 16:26, sabailand said:

The new 3 part adaption on BBC of Dracula which started last night (weds) with Thursday and fridays episodes to follow, only started to watch it by chance as i was browsing the channels, plenty of blood and stuff for true horror fans along with some witty lines from Dracula himself, and also sister Agatha a nun who it turns out is Van Helsing.Really enjoyed it and we`ve got to remember this is just an adaption and the creators have added stuff to the legend, dracula is quite a cool dude in this.......for an evil vampire.:evil9kf:

Gave Dracula it a go then switched off, too "woke" for me, I know it is an adaptation but much prefer something true to the novel which has stood the test of time

Been watching "The Trial of Christine Keeler" on BBC - three episodes so far

At the start of Episode 1 there is a warning "This drama is inspired by real events. Some incidents and characters have been changed for dramatic purposes"

Oh dear, one of the seminal events of the 1960's needed changes for dramatic purposes? Really?

Anyway, the dialogue is turgid, the direction is confusing as its is not clear when there is a flashback, the acting is wooden and there is no chemistry between any of the actors, the actor playing Stephen Ward looks more like a 35 year old 1980's yuppie than a 50 year old early 1960's society osteopath, the Profumo character looks like he has been made up by an undertaker and is the most wooden of all. The two leading actresses (Sophie Cookson and Ellie Bamber) are gorgeous but that's little compensation as they look and sound like the public school educated posh girls they are!

The 1989 film, "Scandal" is a much better telling of events

• Like 1

New / rebranded movie channel on Freeview and Sky / Virgin etc

Sony Movies Classic

A wide range of old movies good mixture of USA and UK, a great addition to movie channels

Some coming up: Wuthering Heights (1939), Footsteps in the Fog (1955), Saturday Night & Sunday Morning (1960), Suddenly, Last Summer (1959), Second Chance (1953), Barbary Coast (1935), PLay MIsty for Me (1971)

On 06/01/2020 at 09:50, JoT said:

The actor playing Stephen Ward looks more like a 35 year old 1980's yuppie than a 50 year old early 1960's society osteopath, the Profumo character looks like he has been made up by an undertaker and is the most wooden of all. The two leading actresses (Sophie Cookson and Ellie Bamber) are gorgeous but that's little compensation as they look and sound like the public school educated posh girls they are!

4 good points :thumbsup: that I picked up on too.

The bloke who played Stephen Ward was in George Gently a few nights ago playing a public school boy ?? and the episode was at most 10 years old.

That 'little baby' pet name for Keeler was cringeworthy.

The Profumo character looked like he'd been in Dads Army when Fraser the undertaker had attempted to make the older ones look younger.:laugh: I googled the actor without the wax and he looked totally different.

I saw the girl who plays Keeler on breakfast TV and you're right about the public school bit too.

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to pick up the 5 hour version of Suriyothai this week for a bargain price :)

Clip is from Francis Ford Coppola's cut-down 142 minute version.

16 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Looking forward to David Jason's Great British Inventions on E4, Tue 21st Jan, 9.00pm. @Cassie-O take note.

It's More4, Rog, don't want you missing it!  :thumbsup:. Apparently, he drives a Reliant Regal Supervan in episode 1, just like Del!  :clap:  I think I'll line my collection of soft Dels around me and watch it.  The Butler can find somewhere else.  :whistle:

Edited by Cassie-O

31 minutes ago, Cassie-O said:

It's More4, Rog, don't want you missing it!  :thumbsup:. I think I'll line my collection of soft Dels around me and watch it.  The Butler can find somewhere else.  :whistle:

Thanks for that, Cass...you're right, it is More 4. But then you were hardly likely to get it wrong...:notworthy:

I'm surprised you don't have separate TV rooms like me and her. Neither of us can stand the programmes each other likes. She just likes East-Coronation-Dale and rubbish like X Factor or the Voice and all the reality shows while I like comedy, action, quiz  and factual programmes.

• Haha 1

Found this on YouTube, not taking in much information, instead daydreaming at Sir David.    :whistle:

Edited by Cassie-O

Sir David Jason's Great British Inventions on More4.   :king:

• Sad 1

On 09/12/2019 at 19:14, Roger the Dodger said:

I believe there is, have you seen him in Man on Fire older but of the same ilk :thumbsup: Good film.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Cassie-O said:

Sir David Jason's Great British Inventions on More4.   :king:

I forgot it was on and missed it...I was watching my Captain Marvel dvd....and Brie Larson is a bit more attractive than Davey boy....:laughing2dw:

Image result for CAPTAIN mARVEL

• Sad 1

Wuthering Heights (1939) staring Merle Oberon &Laurence Olivier recorded earlier from the new Sony Movies Classic channel

Sunday Night at the London Palladium - (1958)

The recordings are being shown by Talking Pics TV on a Sunday evening

Tonight includes Pinky and Perky!!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, JoT said:

Sunday Night at the London Palladium - (1958)

The recordings are being shown by Talking Pics TV on a Sunday evening

Tonight includes Pinky and Perky!!

I remember watching the Pinky and Perky show as a child in the late 50s.

• Like 1