• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
topheronetwoo

1970s seiko

Picked this up today, really liked the look of it. Had a sticky top pusher and there’s is some corrosion on the dial. Just really liked the look of it so took the plunge accounting for a service. Ive put it in for a service today and requested no cosmetic replacement just a clean and service.  

It has the following issues which I highlighted to the watch maker:

date sets on 1st push in on the crown but won’t go in far enough for the day switch. 

The inner bezel does not rotate

the top pusher works but sticks in , pops out again eventually though.

the crystal is a bit scratched and the face is quite marked up but keen to keep it as original as possible 

that said , if people think it’s too far gone I might consider a re dial, what do you think people ? 

large.A42D813B-7CD6-47F1-8CF4-99045A8AB82A.jpeg.555fbd3416f3ae82a02d419b351921ae.jpeglarge.EF1653E4-4EA3-400A-A260-F470583E9862.jpeg.8184c408167df91ba49e8a3bdd959e9f.jpeglarge.FBF89CBF-F849-43AC-99D9-3CA0379A4139.jpeg.5169e7fe98629e4d5f29f21275cb6e61.jpeglarge.B1AE5472-6F78-4BD4-8E4F-10B1CBE8F428.jpeg.b1537199ae63c954625885f513450fc6.jpeglarge.98F085EC-7DD4-43DA-9621-E0432A89808E.jpeg.033ca373c512eac64a1c13ca6e8eda8a.jpeg

• Like 2

That's one of the most iconic watches ever. It's a Seiko 'Pepsi' and in that orange form, also known as a 'Pogue'. This watch was available in three colours...the iconic orange, silver and blue. On your example, the inner indicator appears to have faded, though some did have white inner rings. A good example should look like this...this is my current one.

large.20170910_131040.jpg.888b286c1acfcfe504592d472366d3cf.jpg

Many have been 'frankened'....some orange dials appearing with black inner rings for example. Many have been re-dialled, the biggest giveaway being concentric rings in the sub dial...the originals were all smooth...this also shows up on the many 'Bullhead' varients out there...all the originals had smooth sub dials. Another giveaway is the lume. Most originals have darkened or mouldy lume. Pristine lume almost always suggests re-dial. The 6002 legend on the caseback suggests its a european version, 6005 being the American variant. For the inner indicator ring to rotate, the stem needs the spring and pinion gear in order to work...these are as rare as hens teeth, so don't hold your breath...sorry...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your reply, 

do you think I’m wise keeping it original despite the condition? 

Also how much is one like mine, fully serviced likely to be worth, just want to see if I’ve done alright for my investment, it’s going no where 

I would certainly keep it just for being what it is...if you want to restore it, it can be done, but you must source original parts. A good one will be worth around £800 at auction.

It's a beauty, if I had one I'm pretty certain I'd want it restored. I can just imagine how the good wearer would feel with that on the wrist :thumbsup:

Thanks for everyone’s input , I’m going to settle with the service and light clean up initially then try and find a reliable person who is going to be able to source original parts. 

here's mine from 1976 purchased as is, a few years ago, before the prices rocketed.they are a lovely iconic watch.i cant see me parting with mine .OP .if you can find original parts to restore yours with it will add to to the watches value should you wish to sell it.a word of warning though this watch led to me buying its cousins,the Helmet,the UFO,bullhead..:yes:....UlzXxUZ.jpg

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, greasemonk said:

here's mine from 1976 purchased as is, a few years ago, before the prices rocketed.they are a lovely iconic watch.i cant see me parting with mine .OP .if you can find original parts to restore yours with it will add to to the watches value should you wish to sell it.a word of warning though this watch led to me buying its cousins,the Helmet,the UFO,bullhead..:yes:....UlzXxUZ.jpg

Great looking watch, I might start collecting parts as I see them come up on eBay and then when I have enough parts have them all fitted. Yours looks great! 

Im liking the other versions of this watch now and more concerning is the fact that it’s now sparked an interest in Pepsi colourings on watches. Oh dear.........

• Like 1

I've had two of these over the years....the first was bought as a 21st birthday present by my parents in 1975. Sadly, that one got 'mislaid' during a house move and several years later, I bought the one I have today, pictured further above.

In this old pic from 1975, you can just make out the original watch on my wrist.

large_TR6.png.1f3d3a4fc71bfa96ef9fd44addbf11a6.png

It is certainly a lovely peice as are it's 'sister' models of that era. If it was mine, I'd want it as a regular wearer so would get it restored - hopefully with original parts. Enjoy it what ever you decied to do

:thumbsup:

10 hours ago, Autonomous said:

It is certainly a lovely peice as are it's 'sister' models of that era. If it was mine, I'd want it as a regular wearer so would get it restored - hopefully with original parts. Enjoy it what ever you decied to do

:thumbsup:

Cheers guys, I’m going to keep my eyes open for parts and buy them as I see them but just get it serviced and cleaned in the mean time. I have a bad feeling I might buy another and keep this one as is , but who knows , I’m finding other watches I like the look of as a run off from looking at this one so ........ watch this space 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, topheronetwoo said:

I have a bad feeling I might buy another and keep this one as is , but who knows , I’m finding other watches I like the look of as a run off from looking at this one so ........ watch this space 

You are on a slippery slope mate... but a very enjoyable one, obviously! :laughing2dw:

• Haha 1

I’ve got a silver one of those sat in my ‘to do’ box, I need to get it a bracelet and the crown keeps falling out! I love it and it’s a very nice modern size as well

Surprisingly, there are quite a few on ebay at the moment.  I'm not interested myself, obviously, but I couldn't resist a peek just to see if there were any up for grabs. A quick search (UK sellers only) found 15 of the gold dial version, and a few black or silver versions as well.  Prices seem to range from a couple of hundred quid, all the way up to £700 for one in decent condition and complete with bracelet, similar to @Roger the Dodger 's fine example :thumbsup:

Yeah I’ve had my eye on the one with the smashed crystal , only want it for the bezel insert and hands but think it’s going to clear a tonne even in that condition! 

I had one in blue, Gold and silver, Still have the gold and silver one but let the blue one go some years ago like a prat!! :(

2Dt7COB.jpg

The crystal is shot on the silver one, I managed to find a replacement from Spain, It was in a Seiko packet but is acrylic which I don't believe these ever were produced in anything other than mineral glass!, I was happy to find the acrylic as then it would be easy to get rid of the inevitable marks/scratches but I put it away somewhere safe to fit at a later date then couldn't remember to this day where the hell I put it! :blush:

I did manage to polish some of the scratches off the mineral glass on the silver one but the new acrylic would be so much better!

BU8YJgj.jpg

Not much better in the pics but in reality, It is!!

choEcYP.jpg

The one thing that puts me off with these is that the day always seems to 'slip' for me, The blue one was the only one that didn't and I sold it! :mad0218:

John :)