• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
JayDeep

Surprisingly impressed

Any brands or specific watches you've been surprisingly impressed by?

For me...

1. Citizen

2. Alpha

Any on the flip side of that, as in a bunch of hype but not at all impressed?

For me...

1. Seiko

2. Chr. Ward

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Steve D70 said:

Geckota. :thumbsup:

I've heard nothing but great things about their offerings.

Impressed...

3. Bulova (Accu-Swiss most notably)

4. Tissot

Unimpressed...

3. Dan Henry

Edited by JayDeep

Impressed:

- Phoibos (3 now, all good)

- Military Industries (casings are great for the price- nicest feeling screw down crowns I've tried)

Not so much

- Citizen (just inconsistent, price vs quality seems to have no correlation. Tried/bought some really nice cheaper ones and some horrible pricier ones)

3 hours ago, Steve D70 said:

Geckota. :thumbsup:

Good to hear, next on my list:thumbsup: K-03 or G-01 though?....

• Thanks 1

From the cheap seats:

Impressed

Astroavia

Nautec No Limits

Accurist

Festina

Not impressed 

Russian Kameradski or whatever they are called

Sekonda

Nixon (tiny movement which looks like all the twopenny Chinese ones)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Impressed:

- Phoibos (3 now, all good)

- Military Industries (casings are great for the price- nicest feeling screw down crowns I've tried)

Not so much

- Citizen (just inconsistent, price vs quality seems to have no correlation. Tried/bought some really nice cheaper ones and some horrible pricier ones)

Good to hear, next on my list:thumbsup: K-03 or G-01 though?....

Being as I’ve got the G-01 that’s what I’d have. :drinks:

• Like 1

I was very impressed with my hammilton khaki king amazing quality for price. I am currently impressed with steinhart ocean one like the hammilton amazing quality for the price had for a a little while now and zero scratches .

Also like my gshock as just a unbreakable beater.

I got a victorinox before the hamilton and just didnt sit right on my wrist so sent it back just really didnt like the watch so i was happy i sent back and got the hammilton instead.

Thats my very short watch history and what i have loved and not so much.

Dean

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Impressed:

1. Carpenter

2. Halios

3. Baltic

4. Stowa

5. Farer

Unimpressed:

Not too many as I'm very careful with what I buy nowadays, but in the beginning - 1980's Omega.

Impressed:

Seiko.

Citizen.

Apeks.

Not impressed:

None, really, but I wouldn't buy anything with snowflake hands purely because I can't stand them, whatever the brand, but thats just a personal opinion...I expect the watches underneath the hands are fine.

On 15/01/2019 at 23:40, Bonzodog said:

Impressed 

Scurfa

Not so

Mercer

But that’s just me being picky.

It's your money, your watch and your tastes... You're absolutely 100% allowed to be picky.

• Like 1

On 16/01/2019 at 00:21, Perlative Cernometer said:

Interesting. Maybe I've just not spent little enough on a citizen to experience this. I'd put citizen a million miles above Seiko, Orient, Casio and the like.

But, I'll admit, I'm really really sick and tired of Eco-Drive, and they're a bit overpriced for their upper range "Promaster" line, given that everything is Eco-Drive where Seiko offers automatics in their equivalent Prospex line.

1 hour ago, JayDeep said:

Interesting. Maybe I've just not spent little enough on a citizen to experience this. I'd put citizen a million miles above Seiko, Orient, Casio and the like.

But, I'll admit, I'm really really sick and tired of Eco-Drive, and they're a bit overpriced for their upper range "Promaster" line, given that everything is Eco-Drive where Seiko offers automatics in their equivalent Prospex line.

These are the ones that really did it for me. Same price from the same chain. Watch on the left ISO certified diver, solid feeling bracelet with excellent quality clasp and proper dive extension. 60 click but rock solid feeling rotating bezel and excellent general finish for the price. Watch on the right, bracelet feels a class cheaper, cheap pressed clasp, Seamaster looky likey looks with a non rotating bezel, and the eco drive has been implemented by use of subdials that look like the solar cells off a cheap calculator from the 80s.

AUWduT.jpg

Then I tried a diver (can't remember the model now) at double the price of these 2 and it was a real disappointment, again bracelet wasn't as good as the first one, no screw down crown on a 200m diver and the finish was just about the same. Seemed to be no good reason it was more money. That said my dad was with me and picked up a Titanium model slightly cheaper than the one I tried and it is lovely. Like I said, not "bad" as such, just inconsistent. Seiko for me is a bit more reliable - feels like you are getting what you pay for - pay more and you get a better one. Citizen seem to design a watch, then think of a number to sell it for.

On 16/01/2019 at 05:08, JayDeep said:

Any brands or specific watches you've been surprisingly impressed by?

For me...

1. Citizen

2. Alpha

Any on the flip side of that, as in a bunch of hype but not at all impressed?

For me...

1. Seiko

2. Chr. Ward

I wasn't that taken with alpha, but parnis have been amazing!

zenith are good too. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

These are the ones that really did it for me. Same price from the same chain. Watch on the left ISO certified diver, solid feeling bracelet with excellent quality clasp and proper dive extension. 60 click but rock solid feeling rotating bezel and excellent general finish for the price. Watch on the right, bracelet feels a class cheaper, cheap pressed clasp, Seamaster looky likey looks with a non rotating bezel, and the eco drive has been implemented by use of subdials that look like the solar cells off a cheap calculator from the 80s.

AUWduT.jpg

Then I tried a diver (can't remember the model now) at double the price of these 2 and it was a real disappointment, again bracelet wasn't as good as the first one, no screw down crown on a 200m diver and the finish was just about the same. Seemed to be no good reason it was more money. That said my dad was with me and picked up a Titanium model slightly cheaper than the one I tried and it is lovely. Like I said, not "bad" as such, just inconsistent. Seiko for me is a bit more reliable - feels like you are getting what you pay for - pay more and you get a better one. Citizen seem to design a watch, then think of a number to sell it for.

I can't speak to either as I've not feeling either, but both look great! Lol

I have indicated before that I`m rather impressed by the quality of this particular pair from Parnis

PARNIS Militare 51 Chronograph (Japanese [Miyota] quartz movement)  

212113462_PARNISMilitare51Chronograph(JapaneseMiyotaquartzmovement).thumb.gif.f19d6075aa6d6f8dcab3bf639d5c2e8a.gif

PARNIS Militare 60 Chronograph (Japanese [Miyota] quartz movement)  

1989713031_ParnisMilitare60Chronograph(JapaneseMiyotaquartzmovement).thumb.gif.ceaa0305f911f20409fc555e7e259e13.gif

I`m sure that  if they had a different name on the dial more people would be after them :biggrin:

Impressed

Zenith - a premium brand for sure, and their products seem to be in the quality band above their price band.

Seiko 7A series

Le Cheminant - always use good movements, bit of a sleeper

G. Gerlach

Eterna

Franck Muller

Unimpressed

Camy - had three, all three needed repair.

Modern Longines - they look great, but they are too large and too shiny (the ones I have had anyway.)

Rolex President - didn't feel special to me

Impressed with:

Christopher Ward

Citizen

Seiko

Not impressed:

Been pleased with all my recent purchases so cannot grumble (for now anyway!) :laugh:

Edited by MrF-UK82

Impressed ?

Bog standard Seiko 5's and cheap mechanical Orients, vintage manual wind Rotaty's, and my old ST5 movement Seagull, which is supremely accurate.

Unimpressed.

Lusted after a Panerai, the minute I tried it on in the shop, I didn't want it. Probably more of a not like, than an unimpressed.