• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Lann

Hello

Hello everyone,  I am Paul from Belfast and just joined a few hours ago and this is my first ( and hopefully not my last!!! ) post.  Hitting 50 years old next month and living just outside of Belfast in Northern Ireland, I am a complete novice as far as watches go.  So much so that I only bought my first ever mechanical watch after seeing a couple of Seiko 5's for sale on a UK wet shaving forum (another interest of mine) a few months back and thinking I would like a "proper watch" and not a £5.99 digital.

Although I missed out on those it led me to see what was available on eBay which really opened my eyes and I have since bought a Seiko 5, a Seiko Kinetic SKA 719P1 and a Seiko 7T62OLD0 Chrono.  All used but in very good condition, working and keeping time well.   Unfortunately, the 5 was just too small looking on my wrist so it was sold on.   I would have been happy with my lot interchanging between the chrono and the kinetic and not thinking anymore deeply about watches until my two teenage children went and bought me an Orient Mako II with blue dial and Pepsi bezel which they were able to pick up again off eBay for a reasonable sum because it had some bad scoring on the crystal but was otherwise in excellent condition.

Little did I know that my daughter saying " I know the face is damaged dad but perhaps you could get the glass replaced?" would result in me doing an internet search that led me to a world of double domed sapphire crystals, watch modding and replacement straps (which is how I ended up finding  this forum in fact).   I have been trawling through your forum as a guest for a while especially the Orient subforum.  I don't mind admitting, that there is just something about the Orient Divers that have struck a chord with me and yes, I have bought a Sapphire replacement crystal which I have left into a  there is a certified watch repair and servicing shop located five minutes away from home that I never knew existed until now!  I know Orient Makos are not high-end watches by any means ( and the high end will, more likely than not, remain something that is out of reach of my budget )  but for me they are a thing of beauty that can with a few simple changes or additions be made to look and feel more high end than their retail price would suggest.  It is for that reason, that I have plans to add a Ray Raven II, a White dialled USA and an XL with orange bezel at some point.

I hope that I  will learn more about this new world I have discovered through reading the many posts on this forum and I may even raise enough courage to make a contribution or ask some advice every now and then.  I would love to learn enough to try to do some DIY modding or repair ( I like taking things apart and putting them back together again ) but that is in the far distance right now.  Anyway, thanks for listening and bye for now! 

Welcome, congrats on the upcoming half century. 

I have an Orient Mako, and yes the crystal is marked after I did some DIY, I've just ordered an XL with the green bezel insert for my brothers 40th.

Nowt wrong with an Orient :thumbsup: