• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Hydroconquest, spot the difference

10 minutes ago, Jamesinorbit said:

Hate to be the one to let everyone know but these Hydroconquest and the majority of ones on ebay from these sellers in Austria / Germany are 100% fake. Just received one and compared it to my other hydroconquests and the differences are clear. Bezel align is wrong. Longines font is too thick on logo. Longines logo writing is the wrong colour. Dial lume pips aren't applied evenly (they should be perfect circles). Weight of the watch is wrong and the numbers on the bezel are too thick. I also went a step further and send the serial number to longines for authentication. They confirmed that the serial number was incorrect for the watch and that it didn't match up. Wierdly the serial used was a genuine longines serial just from an older two tone hydroconquest sold in the far east. Also the screwdown crown isn't correct and doesn't feel right. My one screws down like its got sand in it. Anyway Longines didn't seem impressed someone was selling fake Hydros!! Watch out guys. Any with misaligned Bezels 100% fake. I have no idea how they are ripping so many people off. Pretty upsetting as these are going for the going rate of genuine examples! 

Thanks  

Just had a quick look on the Bay and one alarm bell for sure is that all their "used" Longines seem to be quartz...... 

In your case , do you think you actually received the watch that they pictured !? 

Also , you can get a refund under eBays guarantee , made more straight forward now you have evidence from the Manufacturer that the watch serial number is fake.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got the new version of the hydro from fraser hart in the sale....and still managed to get a discount too. paid £900 and its a cracking watch...65 hour power reserve, runs very accurately. brushing t

Likewise, although I have a sneaking suspicion that OCD and horology go hand in hand!

Posted Images

large._20190123_153848.JPG.c2b0418f149b44c3154cfbe7a09d310c.JPG

16 minutes ago, Jamesinorbit said:

Longines logo writing is the wrong colour

Looking back at the above pic, does the 'Longines' lettering on the dial look a bit thick to anyone else? As i remember from mine it was fairly delicate. With slim lettering. CF.

Related image

4 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

Looking back at the above pic, does the 'Longines' lettering on the dial look a bit thick to anyone else? As i remember from mine it was fairly delicate. With slim lettering. CF.

The "S" gives it away.....

• Thanks 1
Just now, wrenny1969 said:

Many on here prefer 2nd hand watches to keep the cost down. though I'm sure your were just jesting :biggrin:

no

whats 800 quid for a watch? its nowt. 

50 minutes ago, Jamesinorbit said:

Forget the lettering just look at the sloppy lume pips. That's the main giveaway. 

The savvy crook will use a genuine image to flog their rubbish on eBay. There was a post on here a while back where the picture had been copied and pasted from the manufacturers web site. Hamilton I think, another ebay fakers fave. :angry:

1 hour ago, Jamesinorbit said:

I'm in the process of getting a refund. I went back through the sold listings and it's truely shocking how many of them are fake. Forget the lettering just look at the sloppy lume pips. That's the main giveaway. 

Also .... thinking about it, decent eBay trade sellers for watches in the £300-£3000-ish bracket almost entirely sell using BIN because they bought originally legitimately wholesale and so have a fixed business margin and work the market accordingly. Why would anyone put a Longines on Auction as a trade seller... unless... they paid peanuts for it in the first place.

I've been having a bad run on eBay recently. Until then I was definitely up. Once picked up a genuine midnight blue hydroconquest blue dial for £200! Best deal I've never got and yes it's been authenticated by Longines themselves. But it's a minefield. So many fakes you need to be super clued up to spot it. In this instance I was sloppy and because the images were slightly low resolution couldn't see the finer details. The seller knows what he is doing and I suspect all the inventory is fake or Frankenstein watches. Who knows maybe the case and movements are genuine with some fake parts thrown in. It's really difficult to know for sure. 

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

I won't be bothering with Ebay again after my experience with what looks like being a snide Hydroconquest.

Although I won't be getting a refund as it's been nearly a year since i bought it, at least the seller has been shut down, twice.

First of all the seller was shut down under the name of the company I dealt with, watchcompany-1 of Walthamstow.

Then he sprung up again on Ebay recently with heaps of positive feedback and got shut down again.

He hasn't just been flogging snide Hydroconquests but Tags, Omegas, what have you.

Edited by Turpinr
  • Like 2
16 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

I won't be bothering with Ebay again after my experience with what looks like being a snide Hydroconquest.

Although I won't be getting a refund as it's been nearly a year since i bought it, at least the seller has been shut down, twice.

First of all the seller was shut down under the name of the company I dealt with, watchcompany-1 of Walthamstow.

Then he sprung up again on Ebay recently with heaps of positive feedback and got shut down again.

He hasn't just been flogging snide Hydroconquests but Tags, Omegas, what have you.

The best eBay sellers also list on chrono24 ... just cross-check. Its always better to buy on the Bay if they list on both places ....

• Like 1

In all fairness for what they cost new the HC is probably best bought somewhere like Goldsmiths or for a possible saving Iconic, i bought a new LLD from Iconic in 2016 for about 1200 quid when the high street price was nearer 1500.

https://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/longines-hydroconquest-quartz-39mm-l3-688-4-19-6.html

i remember paying about 800 quid for a hc in 2015 it was the 42mm auto black.

at the moment John Lewis have them cheap enough.

https://www.johnlewis.com/longines-l38404966-men's-hydro-conquest-date-bracelet-strap-watch-silver-blue/p3360748?sku=237207987&lsft=s_kwcid:2dxLIA-FASHION,tmad:c,tmcampid:2&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgubz0uWq5AIVlojVCh1v5wyfEAQYBSABEgLpSfD_BwE

but its the qtz in blue. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Sat in a nice pub in Keswick yesterday and got talking to a bloke sat next to me about my dog and the other dogs in the pub.

I then noticed his watch and we got talking about our collection.He had a 41mm Hydroconquest Auto on, in black and he took it off so I could look at it.

I've got to admit I still couldn't tell any differences and the LONGINES lettering even looked the same as mine ??

PS That was the first time I've ever noticed anybody's watch even though my missus claims I have.

7 hours ago, Turpinr said:

Sat in a nice pub in Keswick yesterday and got talking to a bloke sat next to me about my dog and the other dogs in the pub.

I then noticed his watch and we got talking about our collection.He had a 41mm Hydroconquest Auto on, in black and he took it off so I could look at it.

I've got to admit I still couldn't tell any differences and the LONGINES lettering even looked the same as mine ??

PS That was the first time I've ever noticed anybody's watch even though my missus claims I have.

Have you taken the back off yours to look at the movement ?

• 6 months later...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184254914747

This is the latest fake Quartz Hydroconquest on Ebay.

I don't think I've ever logged on Ebay and not seen a fake hydro.

The usual tells are still there, misaligned bezel, thick font, the gap between hour markers and lume pips are too narrow.

The lume pips themselves usually look like fried eggs.The seller doesnt mention it's a 39mm but the caseback is from a 39mm Automatic, if it's real.

The sellers don't show the movement anymore as there is another tell where the button to release the crown stem is.

20200417_081716.jpg

I got the new version of the hydro from fraser hart in the sale....and still managed to get a discount too. paid £900 and its a cracking watch...65 hour power reserve, runs very accurately. brushing to case and ceramic bezel is very good for the price.....and will be cheep to service with the eta movement (modified by longines)

• Like 2