• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Mrs Wiggles

What's you definition of a luxury watch

Now, this is an interesting topic. Hypothetically, is the same watch costing half as much classed as luxury, or has price nothing to do with it. Can we not define a watch by it's specification as luxury, or does it have to cost your children their inheritance. What do you think ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mrs Wiggles said:

What do you think ?

I think it's a description coined by the marketing fraternity. Buy what you like, when you can, whether you can afford it or not, and remember, most of the time your watch is tucked under a cuff, so no one else hardly ever sees it or cares. :yes:

• Like 6

I think it depends on an individuals idea of what constitutes luxury.  To some it is about cost and brand, to others it may be more about bling.   Others may consider luxury to exist in the more spacious days of old so a vintage watch fits.  

I'm in agreement with @WRENCH on this one, one persons example of 'luxury' may not be another's. It is just a word I would describe as a price pusher in certain markets.

Luxury: A state of great comfort or elegance, 
             Especially when involving great expense.

I feel comfort having a choice of watches that I can afford but I wouldn't consider that they are at great expense to some.

The elegance bit? Mmm I don't think that word applies to me or any of my collection (but I did shave me head and chin the weekend so I don't look a complete urchin.) :hmmm9uh:

If luxury and exclusivity were bedfellows it would be a grey world. In the world of watches you can own fine pieces which are affordable. If you want to impress others you might need to spend more, depending on their perspective. 

• Like 2

Surely, a luxury item is anything which is significantly OTT by comparison with a similar item which is already well capable of doing the job (luxury vs. utility).

If we assume that the task of a mechanical* watch is to keep reasonable time, whilst looking reasonably attractive, and being both reliable and comfortable on the wrist, then the cheaper things which fulfill all those criteria define "utility". I would suggest that watches such as the Seiko 5 fulfill the criteria in every meaningful sense  --  which would mean that anything doing the same job which is more expensive is a luxury watch. After that, you simply decide upon the desired level of luxury, whether it be Tissot or F.P.Journe.

* On the same basis, you could argue that any mechanical watch is a luxury item when a quartz piece will actually perform better.

Essentially, with the possible exception of the eminently sensible @Davey P, we are a "luxury watch forum".

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, yokel said:

Surely, a luxury item is anything which is significantly OTT by comparison with a similar item which is already well capable of doing the job......

Nail on the head! I was gonna say something like “it’s something the same as you already have but a lot lot lot more expensive”

if somethings a luxury its something that isn't essential so virtually any watch apart from a 10 quid casio? Which is probably all is needed to tell the time, on the other hand if i was a pilot or deep sea diver then i might need a watch for that purpose and it might have to be say a Rolex Comex or APEX and in either case it might then be essential and not a luxury? But for me anything that isn't that 10 quid casio. So a 14 quid casio might be a luxury. Just like 4 pairs of undies are a luxury if you can manage with 2. 

Edited by Nigelp
  • Like 1

I once read somewhere that "luxury" is the cheapest thing you can't afford.

As a youngster, to me it was flying to the Mediterranean. Never did it until I was an adult. Now I do it all the time. Still get a thrill, though.

Watch-wise, I'm in the "buy what you like" camp with @WRENCH

Alas for my bank balance I like Omega and Cartier as well as 5-star hotels.:laughing2dw:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AVO said:

I once read somewhere that "luxury" is the cheapest thing you can't afford.

As a youngster, to me it was flying to the Mediterranean. Never did it until I was an adult. Now I do it all the time. Still get a thrill, though.

Watch-wise, I'm in the "buy what you like" camp with @WRENCH

Alas for my bank balance I like Omega and Cartier as well as 5-star hotels.:laughing2dw:

yep i agree luxury is what you want and cant really afford, but you do the man maths and do it!

Yep ... its been very well described above.... its the watch that is refined beyond the utility requirement.

The side screws on the bezel of the Breilting Super Ocean II 42 is a good example. 

The fact is that any watch much beyond the utility requirement is actually jewellery  --  and we all know how much really pretty things can cost :blush:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is quite subjective ,I gave a Mercer Brigadeer to a friend,just couldn’t take to it.It was not that expensive as things go ,but the recipient was over the moon with it .He said to me,he had never had an expensive watch before.We all have different levels of luxury.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bonzodog said:

We all have different levels of luxury.

We sure do. To develop an earlier theme, as a working-class lad I grew up envying those with detached houses, estate cars and holidays abroad.

My amazing parents supported me into and through a fabulous university, where I immediately discovered that the only thing that "mattered" was where you went to school.

So eventually I ended up with a decent house, nice car and holidays abroad, but by then I was envying those who grew up on country estates, went to Eton and had villas in St. Lucia.

Such is life, my friends. But I've still got my Cartier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, WRENCH said:

Peace quiet and contentment is a luxury, and to some, clean water. 

Ay-men to that. Puts our first-world problems into perspective.

• Like 2

While not the single definition for me, one is simply a watch I can't justify damaging. My SMP would be considered a luxury to many, but for myself, I worked my butt off so I could buy it purely so I could really enjoy and use it. As such, while it cost a good sum of money, I don't consider it a luxury, just money well spent. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AVO said:

We sure do. To develop an earlier theme, as a working-class lad I grew up envying those with detached houses, estate cars and holidays abroad.

My amazing parents supported me into and through a fabulous university, where I immediately discovered that the only thing that "mattered" was where you went to school.

So eventually I ended up with a decent house, nice car and holidays abroad, but by then I was envying those who grew up on country estates, went to Eton and had villas in St. Lucia.

Such is life, my friends. But I've still got my Cartier.

I'd agree with that I went from a normal secondary school to study Law at one of the best Universities for Law. When I got there lads and lasses were with me who had been sent to Eton etc. And they have all done a lot better than me! It is who you know not what you know... 

19 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Peace quiet and contentment is a luxury, and to some, clean water. 

never want for anything...because when you have it...you will always want for something else. 

I think we have twisted the meaning of luxury to one of one up man-ship except hugh, who nailed it just be happy with what you like. Thats that bloody @BondandBigM then in't it so smug and happy with his LV everyone elses is crap. :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

never want for anything...because when you have it...you will always want for something else

Tell you what's a luxury, not having a car, and watching everyone boiling as I spin past on my self propelled cycle. :laughing2dw: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Tell you what's a luxury, not having a car, and watching everyone boiling as I spin past on my self propelled cycle. :laughing2dw: 

Got to go now snookers on. 

Just now, Nigelp said:

Got to go now snookers on. 

There's another luxury I enjoy, no television. :laughing2dw:      :bash:

• Like 1