• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Roger the Dodger

Comex Subs on AR tonight.

Blimey! I knew Comex branded Rolex Subs were pricey, but an ex pro diver rolled up as the last feature on tonights Antiques Roadshow with not one, but two Comex subs that he had worn for his job. The first didn't have the logo on the dial, but it was engraved on the caseback. The second was the iconic one we all know with the Comex logo just under the hands. Both with complete sets of boxes et al, plus divers logs to go with the second one. 20K for the first and 30 to 40K for the second.

The guy seemed quite happy! :rolleyes:

• Like 2

twice the price for one with a white box and comex in black letters on the dial, I would have though the first with rolex comex engraved on the rear case only was equally as rare if not more?

deano

Edited by deano1956
  • Like 1

I would think that anyone sitting on one of these will be fully aware of their value without going on the telly to find out. Sorry.

Warhols-15-Minutes.jpg

• Like 1

The 'expert' pointed out that collectors would particularly like the dive logs to go with the second watch.  The thing to remember is that it's a collector's market atm; they're stainless steel with any value determined by the desirability of the brand names on the dial, relative rarity and provenance (the dive logs).  Collectors markets have a habit of becoming a bubble and then crashing and burning.  I'm not forecasting anything, but if I were that retired diver of advancing years, I'd be selling up and enjoying the £60k, or whatever he actually gets for them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RTM Boy said:

I'm not forecasting anything, but if I were that retired diver of advancing years, I'd be selling up and enjoying the £60k, or whatever he actually gets for them.

Yep ... my gut feeling also ... the market for "niche" rarities is indeed cyclical and at times fickle. 

• Like 1

I must admit I just don't get the Comex thing. So what that some other bloke has dived with the watch for his job? Will the Domino's Rolexes be equally sought after 50 years from now?

• Haha 5

15 minutes ago, GASHEAD said:

I must admit I just don't get the Comex thing. So what that some other bloke has dived with the watch for his job? Will the Domino's Rolexes be equally sought after 50 years from now?

Also ... I don't get the "Tiffany's" Rolex nonsense... simply because after a bit of research it becomes clear that the "Tiffany's" era was a time when Rolex lost control of their marque temporarily  and the Tiffany's in house watch workshop pretty much made it up as they went along..... any one that pays £20,000 more than usual for one of those "collectables" needs their head tested because there is no one on Earth who could 100% confirm authenticity one way or the other.....

7 hours ago, RTM Boy said:

The 'expert' pointed out that collectors would particularly like the dive logs to go with the second watch.  The thing to remember is that it's a collector's market atm; they're stainless steel with any value determined by the desirability of the brand names on the dial, relative rarity and provenance (the dive logs).  Collectors markets have a habit of becoming a bubble and then crashing and burning.  I'm not forecasting anything, but if I were that retired diver of advancing years, I'd be selling up and enjoying the £60k, or whatever he actually gets for them.

Markets can be fickle,I’m with you ,sell while the goings good.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GASHEAD said:

The Domino pieces are extremely sought after Now let alone another 50 years...any Rolex that has the slightest of difference is highly collectable with those with very deep pockets..these pieces remain incredible investments  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Speedy112 said:

The Domino pieces are extremely sought after Now let alone another 50 years...any Rolex that has the slightest of difference is highly collectable with those with very deep pockets..these pieces remain incredible investments  

Agree with this as I've made on selling two Rollies with slight differences. One was a GMT master with a so called stick dial and the other was a Daytona from the first year of Rolexes in house movement but with thin hands.  In both cases I virtually doubled my money and this a long time before the current price hikes.   How long it will last is another issue altogether but I've seen boom and bust in other collectors markets such as art and rare cars ( eg Ferrari 250LM and such) so would be wary of trying to buy at such a level even with all the provenance.   After all, no commercial diver relies on a Submariner or similar for safety these days, neither do commercial pilots rely on GMT watches... 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, ong said:

Agree with this as I've made on selling two Rollies with slight differences. One was a GMT master with a so called stick dial and the other was a Daytona from the first year of Rolexes in house movement but with thin hands.  In both cases I virtually doubled my money and this a long time before the current price hikes.   How long it will last is another issue altogether but I've seen boom and bust in other collectors markets such as art and rare cars ( eg Ferrari 250LM and such) so would be wary of trying to buy at such a level even with all the provenance.   After all, no commercial diver relies on a Submariner or similar for safety these days, neither do commercial pilots rely on GMT watches... 

The Stick hands GMT is a great example of what people will pay for a slight variation from the Norm...trying to make sense of the Rolex Steel sports market over the last Two years is difficult with many people prepared to pay double retail on pieces like the Ceramic Daytona,.the new Pepsi and the Blue sea dweller...I remember the days not so long ago when all these piece's sat with Rolex AD's sometimes for many years unable to sell them..and then speculators realised there is serious money to be made and we are where we are..how long it will last I have know idea but when a stainless steel piece sells for more than solid 18k gold its utter madness..

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Speedy112 said:

and then speculators realised there is serious manipulation to be made 

That's more like it.

16 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Blimey! I knew Comex branded Rolex Subs were pricey, but an ex pro diver rolled up as the last feature on tonights Antiques Roadshow with not one, but two Comex subs that he had worn for his job. The first didn't have the logo on the dial, but it was engraved on the caseback. The second was the iconic one we all know with the Comex logo just under the hands. Both with complete sets of boxes et al, plus divers logs to go with the second one. 20K for the first and 30 to 40K for the second.

The guy seemed quite happy! :rolleyes:

Nice top-up to the pension!

Rarity comes at a price, good luck to those who can afford one :thumbsup:

• Like 1

He took the news very calmly indeed!  He surely must have had some idea of the two watches worth though?  If someone told me that two watches I had sat in a drawer with no clue of their value were worth the guts of 60k  I'd be doing cartwheels!!!!

12 minutes ago, Lann said:

He surely must have had some idea of the two watches worth though?  

Rolex Comex ? Google search. Hmmm. :hmmm9uh: