• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Help! Hamilton Watch Repair - not happy

Weetabix

Question

Hello - We've recently had a vintage Hamilton watch repaired and we're not at all happy.

Originally, it was dropped and hence the movement stopped working and the screen protector had popped out and was cracked.

After being taken for repair, it came back with its innards removed and a quartz movement in its place - which we can live with (although the original movement has not been returned - I'm guessing because it must be worth a few bob as apparently they're becoming more and more difficult to source?)

However - it's the screen protector which we're most unhappy with - it's a large angular plastic one and rises over the face of the watch the same height as the watch itself - it looks *awful*

In speaking with the Horologist, he has said that he had to put such a large one on as a lower domed one would prevent the second hand from moving? 

He's unable to source an appropriate size as 'Hamilton are no longer in existence.'

Can everyone just confirm that this is the case?
The watch's diameter doesn't seem abnormal! Surely it would be easy enough to source a screen protector that doesn't catch on the movement of a second hand?

And should I expect the original movement returned with the watch?

We'd really appreciate any clues/suggestions as this watch has a great deal of sentimentality.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks all - I am happy it's working - but all along my issue and question has been regarding the box crystal that's been used!

It desperately needs a dome crystal and my question is:

It this now not possible to fit because the quartz has raised the central column and the second hand would not be able to move?

If this is the case - the quartz needs to come out and I somehow get the old movement back and working again so that I can fit the dome?

Is this correct?
Or can a dome crystal be fitted with the quartz?

2 hours ago, Weetabix said:

Thanks all - I am happy it's working - but all along my issue and question has been regarding the box crystal that's been used!

It desperately needs a dome crystal and my question is:

It this now not possible to fit because the quartz has raised the central column and the second hand would not be able to move?

If this is the case - the quartz needs to come out and I somehow get the old movement back and working again so that I can fit the dome?

Is this correct?
Or can a dome crystal be fitted with the quartz?

Just as an asides, is your mother unhappy with the outcome or is it just you. 

:whistle:

It reminds me of the countless classic cars show I used to frequent. A bit like here. There were the boys that for them it was a good day out, so your motor wasn't top notch but there was a bit of chit chat and ribbing and then you got the beardy hard core types, you know the type, swivel eyed looney tuners with all the pin badges for about fifty cars manufacturers that are no longer in business. 

And they are all over your motor with a fine tooth comb. 

"That's not the right jubilee clip Son" 

"The originals had 12 notches and your's only has 10"

A bit like vintage watch WIS types. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

• Haha 2

What an absolute abortion they have made of that, i have quite a few spares of Hamilton watches and also new old stock

To convert it into a quartz, well am just speechless, even quartz movements you can get them different heights for the hands...........

As already said whatever value the watch had being mechanical, easily £100, has been trashed in my opinion............

Am surprised the "watch repairer" did not just drop it into a bucket of petrol and give it a shake!! :laugh:

16 hours ago, Weetabix said:

...urgh.

Unfortunately it isn't working.
I've asked the horologist for a refund (this was actually his second attempt as fixing it) - so it's back to square one.

Sorry, did you take it back to him after all that?

No - I used someone that was recommended to me on this site - who has since had two attempts at fixing it.
I have the watch back with me - am just waiting for a refund so I can pay a local horologist that I've found to try and fix it.

@simon2 - I've only just seen your post - have you received my emails requesting a refund?

• Like 1