• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Weetabix

Help! Hamilton Watch Repair - not happy

Whilst most of us here are horrified, the lady was given a choice, made a decision and went ahead with the repair. 

Unfortunate but as @JoT already said an arrangement was made.

Not withstanding the sentiment how much is the watch actually worth. £150 and it might go or £150 and not only will it go it will keep great time for a few years then a five quid battery change for another few years.

And it is going now which for 99% of the general public would be a no brainier and they’d be happy with that.

• Like 2

I once enquired about putting a quartz in an old roamer mustang electronic and was told it involved a lot of work, so the hammy might be better of as it is now as bond says, just enjoy it, its working. 

Thanks all - I am happy it's working - but all along my issue and question has been regarding the box crystal that's been used!

It desperately needs a dome crystal and my question is:

It this now not possible to fit because the quartz has raised the central column and the second hand would not be able to move?

If this is the case - the quartz needs to come out and I somehow get the old movement back and working again so that I can fit the dome?

Is this correct?
Or can a dome crystal be fitted with the quartz?

2 hours ago, Weetabix said:

Thanks all - I am happy it's working - but all along my issue and question has been regarding the box crystal that's been used!

It desperately needs a dome crystal and my question is:

It this now not possible to fit because the quartz has raised the central column and the second hand would not be able to move?

If this is the case - the quartz needs to come out and I somehow get the old movement back and working again so that I can fit the dome?

Is this correct?
Or can a dome crystal be fitted with the quartz?

Just as an asides, is your mother unhappy with the outcome or is it just you. 

:whistle:

It reminds me of the countless classic cars show I used to frequent. A bit like here. There were the boys that for them it was a good day out, so your motor wasn't top notch but there was a bit of chit chat and ribbing and then you got the beardy hard core types, you know the type, swivel eyed looney tuners with all the pin badges for about fifty cars manufacturers that are no longer in business. 

And they are all over your motor with a fine tooth comb. 

"That's not the right jubilee clip Son" 

"The originals had 12 notches and your's only has 10"

A bit like vintage watch WIS types. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, simon2 said:

Even a high set pair of hands on a quartz watch should sit lower than needing a glass of that height. 

Thanks @simon2.

I have now had the movement returned and a full money refund (which I'm amazed at) - so I'll be in touch.
Thanks for your help everyone.

• Like 2

What an absolute abortion they have made of that, i have quite a few spares of Hamilton watches and also new old stock

To convert it into a quartz, well am just speechless, even quartz movements you can get them different heights for the hands...........

As already said whatever value the watch had being mechanical, easily £100, has been trashed in my opinion............

Am surprised the "watch repairer" did not just drop it into a bucket of petrol and give it a shake!! :laugh:

Even if your mother agreed to the work, no self-respecting watch maker should have done that. If they couldn't fix to a standard they should have apologised and said so, not carried out the assault like they have.

Have you managed to get the movement back?

Sorry, late to the thread but great news on the refund and return of the movement. Perhaps shows they at least weren’t intentionally scamming you which would have been much worse. 

“Oh I umm... lost the movement sorry” :whistle: