UK Watch Forum banner

WWYD?

1K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Rotundus 
#1 ·
I have a quick WWYD (What Would You Do?) query for you all?

Ever since I started my initial search for a 'proper' watch, I have had a bit of a love affair with the Longines Conquest and Oris Aquis.

Wile the Aquis is out of my reach for now. I now have a good chance of actually owning a Conquest. In order to get it though, I need to release funds which means selling these two:

32241646108_39b96f560f_z.jpg

45949621305_b3b3821da7_z.jpg

So, my question is this...What would you do? *

*For the record, I'm not actually looking for you to make up my mind I'm just curious.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ideally, I'd like to keep the DeVille. It may well be the only Omega I ever own and I do like its simplicity.

The Tissot was purchased last week after hearing so many good reports about them and it is a lovely watch, perhaps just not as lovely as a Conquest.

My main concern is that I'll flip them, buy the Conquest and then regret my desicion. I'm deffo overthinking it I know.

I have tried on a black face quartz and it was realy nice (in the jewellers). The one I'm looking at now is a blue face auto which does look amazing in the pictures.

It is probably compounded by me reading about the member who sold a chunk of their collection to buy a Rolex and then hated it, mind you this isn't tin the same league I suppose.

#6 ·
Keep looking at the Longines for a couple more months then if you can't get rid of the itch scratch it and flip em!

I was in the same boat when I wanted an Aerospace - had to sell the Legend Diver but the time it took to save up the difference helped think about it.

#8 ·
A difficult conundrum, and I'm not sure we are going to be too much help to you.

The two watches you own look, to me, to be lovely watches. I would be loathe to let them go, especially the de Ville, which may be hard to replace. However the Longines Conquest looks to be a lovely watch too.

In an ideal world you would buy the Longines, see how you feel after a month or two, and them make such adjustments as required. Of course, we live in a world that is far from ideal.

There may be one for sale in the Sales Corner of that "other place", or the status hasn't been updated. I couldn't see any on our Classifieds except expired adverts. Obviously you would take less of a "hit" with buying secondhand, but I quite understand that some people are uneasy not buying new.

Good luck with whatever decision you finally make! :thumbsup:

#9 ·
Decisions decisions!!

Im a serial flipper...Ive lost count of the watches, ive lusted after for what seems like ages......To finally get it....then flip it later!

I find, if Im not wearing the watch, for whatever reason...its "probably", better to flip it, then get what you really want...at the time!...Then it starts allover again!

I have bought a few watches in "sales", can save a fair few hundred that way..........Thinking about it? The watches Ive kept....are mainly those ones?!

Its also possible to buy watches on 0% interest free credit.........Ive done this........I know some people dont like to do it...but? Personally...for me its a no brainer! My money can stay in the bank making bugger all interest!....While I pay monthly interest free credit on the watch!

Also..I once bought a watch in a sale.....it stated that sales items were not available for 0% interest free credit...it was a big saving by the way...I asked (either by e-mail or their online chat thingy) if I could have 0% interest free for the watch....they said I could...but only up to a maximum of 12 months! Which is what I wanted anyway! So I had a right result!

I must say,, that when Ive had a watch on 0% ...I have had the money to "buy" the watch .......Using my strange logic though! By using 0% I feel as if Im getting a better deal!

By the way, what Longines Conquest were you thinking of? I recently bought a Longines Flagship Heritage....and I love it!

#13 ·
For me it's about wearing it. I'd ask myself what I'd reach for first for I didn't have to sell. If your existing watch(es) come first, then no, wait. If the Longines would be first, then yeah, sell the others. Not easy of course because you don't have the Conquest at the same time to compare directly.

As others have said or intimated beware also that you might not bond with what you think you like when you buy it. It's happened to me many times. And I find your tastes change over time too.

#15 ·
Well, for starters, I'm not quite sure why you would consider a Conquest or an Aquis a "proper" watch, while considering this Omega and Tissot as the opposite. So I'm confused as to your definition of "proper", I guess.

That said, I would much rather have either a Conquest or an Aquis over both of those as well, so I guess I'm in agreement with your sentiment about what constitutes a watch being "proper". So yes, yes I would definitely get rid of those two in favor of either of the other, sought after, pieces.

#16 ·
@JayDeep It isn't that I don't consider the DeVille or Visodate to be proper watches but the Aquis & Conquest have been on my lust after list since my journey began. My worry is that I'd end up regretting flipping them.

@JonnyOldBoy Ideally I wouldn't flip either of them but thanks for the advice, I see where you're coming from.

I do also have my Orient SK that I could flip I suppose but I'd be reluctant to do so.

I might see if I could get the Conquest first before making any rash decisions. Watch this space.

Thank you everyone who replied, I appreciate it!

#17 ·
@JayDeep It isn't that I don't consider the DeVille or Visodate to be proper watches but the Aquis & Conquest have been on my lust after list since my journey began. My worry is that I'd end up regretting flipping them.

@JonnyOldBoy Ideally I wouldn't flip either of them but thanks for the advice, I see where you're coming from.

I do also have my Orient SK that I could flip I suppose but I'd be reluctant to do so.

I might see if I could get the Conquest first before making any rash decisions. Watch this space.

Thank you everyone who replied, I appreciate it!
It's always hard selling a watch you like. So I'll make it simple.

If you love the Omega and Tissot then you will regret flipping them, even if you love the Conquest or Aquis better. If you love them don't sell them, just save up and be patient.

If you don't love the Omega or the Tissot then ditch them. Your collection deserves to be made up of watches you only truly love, not just kind of like or tolerate.

Personally, I don't like either of those watches while I love the Conquest and Aquis to death! Decision's easy for me.

#21 ·
sell, buy, trade, buy, regret, sell, regret even more, buy again , save up, sell, sell, BUY. swear delete link to forum from browser.

crawl back, skulk in the shadows, buy , sell , you are doomed , buy , buy , sell, destroy whist modding , cry , buy , sell etc ad infinitum quelle fromage !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.