• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Davey P

£20K for a Tag Heuer...?

i like.. well.. nothing about that.

why is it so expensive? just the tourbillon?? not being facetious - i honestly don't know.

on the plus side, 10% off if you sign up for their newsletter!

Edited by ry ry

7 minutes ago, ry ry said:

why is it so expensive? just the tourbillon?? not being facetious - i honestly don't know.

Isn't it obvious?  "Not only does this stunning timepiece boast a Swiss tourbillon chronograph movement at an insanely reasonable price, but it is the first ever watch to have a hairspring made of carbon composite". 

So, now you know.

For what it's worth, I think it looks OK, but the insane price rules it out for the vast majority of normal human beings on the planet.  It truly is a watch that says "I've got too much money, and literally can't think what to spend it on..." :whistle:  Professional boxers and footballers will be queuing up to buy this one :laughing2dw:

1 minute ago, Davey P said:

normal human

on here? they will be lining up for one then!:laugh:

5 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Isn't it obvious?  "Not only does this stunning timepiece boast a Swiss tourbillon chronograph movement at an insanely reasonable price, but it is the first ever watch to have a hairspring made of carbon composite". 

So, now you know.

isn't there a chinese tourbillon for like 2k? 20k Tag seems arse clenchingly expensive even for a wizzy movement.

as i say, ii have no idea what occurs in the realm of 5-figure watches. it's never really seemed awfully relevant to my lifestyle :D

Edited by ry ry

Bond will be getting his serviced in 2040 if he is still here on miracle vodka life support and paying 400 grand for a polish and lube!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ry ry said:

20k Tag seems arse clenchingly expensive even for a wizzy movement.

Didn't you read the description properly?  It's an insanely reasonable price :tongue:

• Haha 1

OK i'm going to say it. 20K is retail, likely to get it for say 16-17k. For the specs that's actually not bad in watch circles. Would i wear it? Not at 45mm or for the price. 

• Like 1

Forgive my ignorance on such matters but, I thought the purpose of a watch is to tell the time? I can hardly see the hands for all the err, bits:blind:

• Like 1

I guess it’s all subjective... there will be someone out there who thinks it’s worth the £20k

Edited by jizzle

2 hours ago, Nigelp said:

Bond will be getting his serviced in 2040 if he is still here on miracle vodka life support and paying 400 grand for a polish and lube!

true, but whats that got to do with watches ?

:whistling:

2 hours ago, ry ry said:

isn't there a chinese tourbillon for like 2k? 20k Tag seems arse clenchingly expensive even for a wizzy movement.

Anyone that spends £20,000 on a TAG is fortunate of pocket.... Anyone that spends £2,000 on a Chinese watch is unfortunate of cranial capacity....

• Haha 1

I was in the market for the T02 piece in PVD and before the Blancpain I actually asked Xupes to try and source either an Omega Apollo 8 or Tag Heuer T02. I thought one of these pieces would add something different to the collection (why have watches that are all the same?).

The RRP for the PVD is around £16k and you can find lightly used for £9-10k which is about right for what your getting. The OP posted the carbon fibre version which will obviously cost more than the s/steel or PVD models and I have no doubt these will be available at a discount.

Do not dismiss the watch until you see it in person and hold it/wear it. Its a huge chunk of watch but you have to remember its also packing a tourbillon and a chronograph. Although the movement is not decorated like other high end pieces, it's finished to enough of a quality that makes you want to stare at it and admire the technology that's gone into the piece. You also have to remember LVMH purchased Zenith to use their movements and technology in their Hublot and Tag Heuer watches as they didn't want to stay still like many other brands (Carrera Mikrograph and El Primero Defy 21 for example!).

I guess that summaries the watch; its a technical exercise and not an emotional one.

Edited by Igerswis
  • Like 1

I'm not sure I would be prepared to spend $20k, even if I had it to waste, on anything that most of you would (I'm guessing).

For me it would need to be something very very unique and special, not just some everyday average Rolex or JLC etc. I don't like boring looking watches that cost thousands when I could buy the same looking thing for $100. I've already made that mistake with my Seiko spring drive GMT and others.

In these times of CNC machines and nano technology is it really that hard to build a tourbillon?

I have owned a tourbillon watch, and it is interesting for a bit.  But no more accurate than anything else.  The box is ticked for me and I've moved on.

However if a vintage AP tourbillon came up for sale I might be tempted!

14 hours ago, Davey P said:

The price is very reasonable compared to some of the Zenith Defy tourbillon watches. Saw one in Bicester village a few years ago being offered at a £33k discount off rrp so down to just £66k :yahoo: That would have been a better match for @Nigelp's Merc. :robot:

That one was a numbered limited edition of just 100 pieces worldwide but they did not sell well and at one point there were about 20 on offer on Chrono. There are a couple of Defy tourbillon on Chrono at the moment at around £100k but from the USA so there would be an extra £20k VAT on import.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Rotundus said:

true, but whats that got to do with watches ?

:whistling:

nothing

:tumbleweed:

:ooops:

i'm only trying to incite @BondandBigM and he is a reformed character now he is thinking of becoming a Priest. 

you remind me of my mate malcolm :)

• Haha 1

Tag isn't a brand I normally follow. I recall looking out for and then finally seeing their first skeleton style Carrera and truth be told, it was a bit of a let down and not as good in the flesh, as in the pics. But following the above link, I'm amazed at how many skeleton style Carrera's there are now - many variations on a theme and quite a change to the elegance of a traditional Carrera. I wonder why they didn't give the new style watches an identity of their own? I wonder how they're selling?

• Like 1