• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
IanE

Experiences selling on EBay?

Wondering about selling a watch on ebay.

I've sold things on ebay before - over a 1000 sales - (so yes, my feedback is well over 1000) but mostly new computer parts 50 to 200 quid or so.

My experiences have been mostly good but occasionally I've had a bad one. For example buyer receives the item and then complains to pay pal that the item wasn't as described. Pay Pal always sides with the buyer and the payment is taken back out of the seller's account. Occasionally it's simply that the buyer didn't understand the 'tech' so didn't know what he was buying and, once or twice the part was DOA. In those caases I obviously make good and keep my 100% good feedback. But on one occasion the buyer returned the item to me and it wasn't even the same item I'd sent - I'd sent him a new one and he returned an old one and, as I said, pay pal don't care and there's no way to prove it either way anyway. As I said it seems that pay pal always side with the buyer.

Anyway. Wondering about selling a watch. Maybe around £2.5K Is it feasible to require payment by Bank Transfer?

Anyone had bad experiences selling something of value on ebay?

I have bought and sold many watches on the Bay. Only bad selling experience was a 1950s Cortebert. The watch was a stunning example of it's type, and arguably one of the best available. I can't remember the model, but it was rare. The buyer requested a refund as there were a few marks on the back. I obliged, and resold the watch almost immediately. She paid £120 for it, and about 18 months later she could have trebled her money. 

Unfortunately buying from eBay has become harder. The most annoying thing is sellers claiming to be UK based, when in actual fact they aren't. As a result items take weeks to arrive instead of days. I presently have an ongoing situation with a bad seller. I bought a pair of home phones, and one of the hand sets is faulty. He requested I send it back and he would replace it and refund my postage. After receiving the handset he told me he was unable to test because he required the base unit. I would have thought he had a base unit if he had a spare handset, but what do I know. He requested I send back the rest of the phone set for a refund, which I did. He does not reply to my messages, and he hasn't given me the refund. eBay will now have to step in, and he will get some stinking feedback. 

I’ve said it before on the forum but I’ll say it again.

treat eBay like gambling and only bet what you can afford to lose. You have experienced difficulties with 50-200 computer parts but are looking to deal in £2.5k watches, if you can afford to lose it then I wish you luck in your venture 

Edited by andyclient

Pay through PayPal, everyone is protected that way. If you feel so inclined offer to pay a bit towards the fees to help it along. BT on something like that on ebay wouldn't be something I'd want to do unless collecting and inspecting first. 

Re-read and see you are selling. PayPal is part of the cost of selling so factor it in.

Edited by al_kaholik

My eBay rating is 6200 , I have been selling on there for 2 decades.... however... I would proceed with extreme caution if selling a watch on eBay. I would stipulate strict conditions on the sale. I would only sale to UK buyers. I would NOT accept PayPal for a watch over £1500. I would accept bank transfer or cash on collection only. Its complete nonsense that Paypal always find for the buyer if there is a dispute ... however ... there are just too many subjective aspects in watch buying and if a Paypal case for "not-as-described" did materialise, its unlikely that the agent dealing with the dispute would have the expertise and/or relevant knowledge to settle the despite properly.

Another problem with selling online ( anywhere ) is that there are buyers rights to a refund in many cases. Even if the seller stipulates that "no refunds" applies.... This is often counter productive because if a buyer receives the watch and then ( for whatever reason ) decides they don't want it, asks to return and then is refused , the buyer is then very likely to open a "not-as-described case". Paypal or no PayPal, eBay can still insist on a buyer refund and if paid by wire , then seller refusal could lead to problems.

Would I sell a £2500 watch on the Bay ? Yep ... but I would first seek out a retailer on there who may offer me 85% of what I would get selling privately first and if I did then go ahead with a sale privately ... stick to very tight stipulations.

• Like 1

I've bought and sold all sorts of things on Ebay over the years. To sum up the experience in a few words, mainly good but some noteworthy issues.   Probably worst was the US buyer of a Breitling who did a recall on his credit card via PayPal.  Eventually this got sorted but he'd probably used the time to sell the watch on....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andyclient said:

I’ve said it before on the forum but I’ll say it again, treat eBay like gambling and only bet what you can afford to lose

This ^ is the best advice you can get I'm afraid.  I would not even think about selling a £2.5K watch on ebay, too many idiots and scammers on there for my liking, making it too risky for me - But good luck if you do decide to go ahead with this one.

I've bought and sold loads on ebay, my feedback is over 800 and 100% positive so I'm a regular user, but I wouldn't buy or sell anything of great value.  My upper limit on watches is 200 quid anyway, regardless of where they come from, and most are a lot lower than that.  I've just won yet another Fat Face watch a couple of days ago for £8.50 including postage, so you can see I'm very much sitting firmly in the cheap seats around here :laughing2dw:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Would I sell a £2500 watch on the Bay ? Yep ... but I would first seek out a retailer on there who may offer me 85% of what I would get selling privately first and if I did then go ahead with a sale privately ... stick to very tight stipulations.

Sound advice. :yes:

Regarding selling by BT, what's the potential pitfalls for both buyer and seller ?

A seller cannot insist on bank transfer only. PayPal must be a payment option. 

I've been a very regular ebay buyer and seller for over 15 years and I've had very little go wrong to date (fingers crossed). But for a 2.5k watch I'd rather sell it cheaper somewhere like here (not 100% safe but very good overall), or sell to someone like watchfinder which may work out not too bad considering there's no ebay fees etc involved. 

the buyer has zero cover on BT.  I take chances, but I wouldn't take that one.

I only sell projects on eBay that I have neither the time nor inclination to get fixed.  Everything marked as not working, for you to fix, spares or repair, and always sent registered/signed for post.  I have tried selling watches in the price band you mention, with mixed success and many fraud attempts.

Image result for nigerian fraud gif

I've not had many problems buying watches on eBay, but selling can be a pain in the backside (to put it politely!).

I have found you can trust most buyers, as far as you can throw them. Rant over! 

My advice would be clock up enough posts on this fine forum and sell to someone (half) honest! :rofl:

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Regarding selling by BT, what's the potential pitfalls for both buyer and seller ?

As a seller there are virtually no pitfalls. As a buyer , you have to be more careful but as a general rule of thumb , buying from a business seller gives you your statutory protections but I would never use BT as a buyer from a private seller. That is way too risky.

Edited by JonnyOldBoy
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

As a seller there are virtually no pitfalls. As a buyer , you have to be more careful but as a general rule of thumb , buying from a business seller gives you your statutory protections but I would never use BT as a buyer from a private seller. That is way too risky.

Sorry for the dumb question - What's "BT".

39 minutes ago, Allthingsmustpass said:

A seller cannot insist on bank transfer only. PayPal must be a payment option. 

eBay insist on Paypal as an option, but sellers are allowed to make reasonable stipulations and hence sellers are not forced to both offer and accept PayPal in all circumstances . There is no mechanism to prevent a buyer from automatically paying using PayPal in most cases , but if they did so whilst ignoring a plain instruction from the seller then , the seller can just refund the money and cancel the transaction. There is no way I would sell a £2500 watch on the Bay and accept PayPal as the payment method, unless it was selling to a recognised trader and even then I would ask for wire payment first. 

6 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

eBay insist on Paypal as an option, but sellers are allowed to make reasonable stipulations and hence sellers are not forced to both offer and accept PayPal in all circumstances . There is no mechanism to prevent a buyer from automatically paying using PayPal in most cases , but if they did so whilst ignoring a plain instruction from the seller then , the seller can just refund the money and cancel the transaction. There is no way I would sell a £2500 watch on the Bay and accept PayPal as the payment method, unless it was selling to a recognised trader and even then I would ask for wire payment first. 

All very true, the trouble is, if you get a few buyers using the PayPal option in a row, then not only are you sitting on the watch for weeks or more, but genuine buyers who have been watching for a while may smell a rat with the watch being constantly relisted, even if you are doing nothing wrong or immoral. 

Edited by Allthingsmustpass

The last outfit in the world I would trust as a seller is Paypal.  They have screwed me over a few times over the years & I despise them! :huh:

9 minutes ago, Allthingsmustpass said:

All very true, the trouble is, if you get a few buyers using the PayPal option in a row, then not only are you sitting on the watch for weeks or more, but genuine buyers who have been watching for a while may smell a rat with the watch being constantly relisted, even if you are doing nothing wrong or immoral. 

There are ways to restrict payment until after you have invoiced .. and if a buyer ignores a stipulation , you can re-list saying so....  

• Thanks 1

I'm looking at starting to sell some limited edition and collaboration model G Shocks on eBay (yes some are over £1k so not exactly cheap).

One thing I have learnt is to cover your back. In a lot of jewellers who receive deliveries of valuable gemstones they have a post room that has a few cameras around it. This take a video of the parcel being received, weighed, then opened and the contents examined.

If the parcel weight doesn't match what the seller has on their receipt or if anything is missing, you have the video footage as supporting evidence.

Turn the tables round and think of the scenario as a seller. You have an item on camera and video it being packaged. You want to focus on the serial number of the item, the weight of the watch on its own, and the weight of the total parcel. The weight of the parcel should almost match what the post office or courier shows in their receipt. You want to ensure your covered in case of any claims of a missing watch in the box (this has happened on the Rolex forum) or if the buyer claims it was damaged and not in working order.

This is a bit of a headache to set up but if you are a volume seller or want to sell valuable items this is a must.

4 minutes ago, Igerswis said:

I'm looking at starting to sell some limited edition and collaboration model G Shocks on eBay (yes some are over £1k so not exactly cheap).

One thing I have learnt is to cover your back. In a lot of jewellers who receive deliveries of valuable gemstones they have a post room that has a few cameras around it. This take a video of the parcel being received, weighed, then opened and the contents examined.

If the parcel weight doesn't match what the seller has on their receipt or if anything is missing, you have the video footage as supporting evidence.

Turn the tables round and think of the scenario as a seller. You have an item on camera and video it being packaged. You want to focus on the serial number of the item, the weight of the watch on its own, and the weight of the total parcel. The weight of the parcel should almost match what the post office or courier shows in their receipt. You want to ensure your covered in case of any claims of a missing watch in the box (this has happened on the Rolex forum) or if the buyer claims it was damaged and not in working order.

This is a bit of a headache to set up but if you are a volume seller or want to sell valuable items this is a must.

Or to take it a step further, take the watch, box, packaging etc to your post office (at a quiet time), and do the filming of the packing and weighing there with the post office clerk in the film receiving the package. Extreme perhaps, but perfectly feasible for the odd high value item. 

I don't like eBay for the same reason I'm guessing many of you don't buy as much online as we in America do... The fees! They take a pretty hefty cut, as far as I'm concerned, from the seller.

I'd much rather sell on a forum.

bought e bay  items over 2.5 K, would never sell something for 2.5 K, can you not stipulate collection only? , I have travelled to pick stuff up, face to face . cash payment of BT ?

deano

of course you may have a robber turn up on a moped to your doorstep with a shotgun , but that's rare :laugh: 

Edited by deano1956

1 minute ago, JayDeep said:

I don't like eBay for the same reason I'm guessing many of you don't buy as much online as we in America do... The fees! They take a pretty hefty cut, as far as I'm concerned, from the seller.

How do you guys go about selling (or buying) on a forum. I mean how do you check each other out to make sure you're dealing with somebody honest? Do you then send cash/goods through the post or meet up somewhere public - or what?

28 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

The fee for selling a watch on the Bay is £50 capped rate. So in other words , someone selling a Breitling Avenger for £2500 pays just 2%. And it's free to list ( effectively ). eBay is "hefty" in terms of selling many many things , but watches certainly is not one them....

25 minutes ago, IanE said:

How do you guys go about selling (or buying) on a forum. I mean how do you check each other out to make sure you're dealing with somebody honest? Do you then send cash/goods through the post or meet up somewhere public - or what?

if you hang around on here for long enough ... its easy to sell and buy on here because people who are established are not about to trash their reputation on trying to rip someone off... I have sold a couple of watches on here ... and bought one from an independent broker recommended by someone on here.... but in all three cases the members were established and trust was never an option.