• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
HogWatch

My 6139-6002 is on its way to the doctors...

The year is 1976. I was a newly minted constable in the Queensland Police Force. My first day on the job, someone asks "Why aren't I wearing a watch?. Every copper has to have a reliable watch." So, at the first opportunity I popped down to the local jeweller's to pick out a watch. The one with red on the ring thing and a couple of buttons on the side looked interesting enough. The price was right and it was a Seiko. I knew precious little about watches but I knew about Seiko watches from my Dad who had purchased a couple during his tour of duty over in Vietnam in 1966 and he swore by them. So the purchase was made.

For the next 15 years that watch stayed on my wrist. Four years in a first response unit, three years in outback Queensland, chatting with shearers about whether or not they should retire for the night,  meant that the watch and I regularly took a beating. Needless to say that this watch and I shared many adventures together. It was in the early 90s that I became a police diver and required a more suitable watch, so I retired the Seiko and bought a Tag 1500 Pro which I still wear from time to time, to this day. The  wife, the Seiko and I became separated and it was for another 15 years that my daughter was able to retrieve the watch on my behalf. That was six weeks ago, the watch still goes after a bit of a shake but is badly in need of some TLC. The pushers are jammed up with gunk and as you can see by the photo, the glass could do with replacing.

So off to the doctor's it goes.

That's my story about about a 6139-6002. It hasn't been into space but it's done just about everything else.

Cheers

Hog

33059446278_dfc0782d22.jpg

Seiko 6139-6002, a little worse for wear

33059448048_2b0bb78971_m.jpg

Seiko 6139-6002-At the Post Office

46880425342_f41f3f499b_m.jpg

Tag 1500 - Still on the wrist

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Great story dear Hog - I love the fact that you haven't given up on the old veteran yet.  It is going to be reborn; if only we humans could do the same.:biggrin:

• Like 1

Well done, Hog! I had one for my 21st in 1975 and like you, wore it all the time. Sadly, that one got lost in a house move, but I eventually bought another and set about restoring it. I still post it on here from time to time.

large.20170910_131040.jpg.888b286c1acfcfe504592d472366d3cf.jpg

• Like 1

On 31/01/2019 at 23:25, Always"watching" said:

Great story dear Hog - I love the fact that you haven't given up on the old veteran yet.  It is going to be reborn; if only we humans could do the same.:biggrin:

Never give up on family. :thumbsup:

On 01/02/2019 at 02:15, Roger the Dodger said:

Well done, Hog! I had one for my 21st in 1975 and like you, wore it all the time. Sadly, that one got lost in a house move, but I eventually bought another and set about restoring it. I still post it on here from time to time.

large.20170910_131040.jpg.888b286c1acfcfe504592d472366d3cf.jpg

That's a very nice example. I'm not sure if that variant was an option in the 6002. Either way, it may have been a bit too flashy for young Queensland cop. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HogWatch said:

Never give up on family. :thumbsup:

That's a very nice example. I'm not sure if that variant was an option in the 6002. Either way, it may have been a bit too flashy for young Queensland cop. 

It definitely was an an option, along with the two other colourways, the rare silver dialled model, and the dark blue like yours. The yellow version is the only variant to be properly labelled a 'Pogue', as this is the variant that Col. William Pogue wore on the Skylab 4 mission. The 600x number donates the areas where the watches were destined for...6002 for Europe, 6005 and 6009 for the USA. There's a lot of info on the 6139's and their different guises here, and if you look at the 'executions' near the end, it gives a better explanation of the 600x numbers. :thumbsup:

https://thespringbar.com/blogs/guides/the-seiko-6139-600x-collectors-guide

More here...

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f281/how-buy-seiko-6139-600x-chronograph-collectors-buying-guide-140803.html

• Like 1

@HogWatch great story and so glad you were able to recover it, looking forward to seeing the finished result

Well, it's been a few months since I posted that story and it's time for an update. The news from the service people is that this 40+ year old watch did not need a full service. They put it on the watch analyser and obtained the following reading

48232725562_e4f58c11c0.jpg

So after getting a new lease on life with a new glass, seals, pins and being regulated my old watch is back with my daughter and looks like this:

54353976_787761644942604_1111946172278243328_n

The best news is that later this month my daughter is visiting me here in Indonesia and will be bring the watch with her.

Regards

Hog

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PC-Magician said:

Excellent, who did the work? Spencer Klein by any chance?

No, not Spencer. I used a watch repairer by the name of Andy, owner/operator of Couger Watch Repairs, from Brisbane, Australia. I don't know the guy personally and it was the first time that I used him but I am generally happy with his advice, regular updates and only doing what was needed. 

• Like 1

So, finally, I flew down to Bali, met my daughter and after 30 years, I finally had my old Seiko back on my wrist. Looking at the watch on my wrist just brings back so many memories. It's been a great week, sharing time with one of my daughters and having this watch back.

Regards,

Hog.

IMG_6971Bali sunset with Seiko 6139

• Like 1