• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Forced to let one go

I know I know... These childish scenarios are probably getting annoying. It's like truth or dare, WIS style... Lol

But...

If you were forced, for whatever reason, just forced, to get rid of one of your watches, which is the one you could let go of? And if you can choose easily, like me, why do you still have it?

For me, it's too easy, my Tauchmeister 1000M diver. I never wear it, I don't like it, but it's the one I keep around to go River rafting, fishing, hiking, camping, etc in.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

If you were forced, for whatever reason, just forced, to get rid of one of your watches, which is the one you could let go of? And if you can choose easily, like me, why do you still have it?

Easy choice: the Stowa Flieger. Simplest (and cheapest) to replace.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

These childish scenarios are probably getting annoying.

I was forced to let one go on the bus tonight. The other passengers didn't appreciate it. 

any Timex.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
1 hour ago, Toronto John said:

It would be a tough choice between my Batman watch and the TW Steel.

Probably the TW Steel.

Batman watch?

Are we talking cheap plastic toy or Rolex? Or something else?

Edited by JayDeep

I have about 10 in my sick bay which lay in bits accusing me of neglect and incompetence which must go one day.several Sekonda's, Seikos and other ancient pocket watches and micro brands. I only hang on to them in the hope that I will suddenly develop magic fingers and fix them all- some hope!!

easy, it will be my christopher ward chrono, not gelling at all with the thing, as pretty as it is, as comfortable as it is, just doesn't do anything for me. why do i still have it, very good question, probably as im too lazy to look our the box, papers etc to sell it. though this may spur me on.

When passing through Dubai last year I looked in at the Rolex store along with all the other brands and just got chatting with the very pleasant Sales assistant, we were chatting about the scarcity of the Steel sports range with non on show just trying to kill some time being a 4 hour stopover and she told me they had just taken delivery of a No date Submariner 114060... for some reason I asked if it was for sale and it was and I bought it.. and it has remained in the box ever since it has never been on the wrist and I have No emotional attachment with it whatsoever being just an impulse buy...I have made no attempt to sell it and would be the one piece that I would let go, what made me buy it I have no idea... did the Rolex hype get to me... Probably...    

• Like 1

I'm letting em all go - just not sure in which order or when.

No idea why but I've kinda gone off watches. So parting with them and I'll buy an old car I think. No idea how much they're worth so don't know what old car to get.

JLC Master Control MechaQuartz Chronograph
Omega Speedmaster reduced chronograph (triple date)
Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow, Moonphase.
Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch (vEarly 70's "Straight" text)
Omega Seamaster Pro (auto, Blue wave dial) MidSize
Rolex Sub 14060
Tudor PreTiger Chronograph (Oyster bracelet and case, Similar case, crown, pushers as daytona))

I shall be letting some go to new homes soon, mainly because I just don't wear them. Seiko G757-4010 (Octopussy style digital watch), brand new yellow Tauchmeister 1000m auto (I prefer the quartz version), Seiko 7T32 Guigaro plus several others that never see the light of day.

On 03/02/2019 at 00:44, vokeyuk said:

easy, it will be my christopher ward chrono, not gelling at all with the thing, as pretty as it is, as comfortable as it is, just doesn't do anything for me. why do i still have it, very good question, probably as im too lazy to look our the box, papers etc to sell it. though this may spur me on.

This is how I feel when I look at any and every Christopher Ward. I know they're nice, they look good even, but they just don't do it for me.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, JayDeep said:

This is how I feel when I look at any and every Christopher Ward. I know they're nice, they look good even, but they just don't do it for me.

its funny how some watches make you react, I am the same with Hublot. just as well we have as much choice :)

• Like 1

I think it would be the 9ct 1920's Rolex...  

20160720_105339

It doesn't get worn very much...

As to why I still have it... firstly it is my only rectangular watch.   Secondly I am not sure exactly what it is worth or how best to sell it since it is quite uncommon.  Thirdly what is the hurry, there is nothing wrong with it and it is not doing any harm sitting in my box.

On 02/02/2019 at 16:06, JayDeep said:

I wasn't forced, but I am need of money. And a private offer came in to take my Mk II Graywater off my hands. I set a price a little higher than the last couple of private sales, as mine was in VG condition, with extras. Buyer accepted. Deal concluded. Why? 

The watch was a definite keeper, great design, solid value, excellent timekeeping. But ... it was part of a forum project, only 38 of the 50 planned series completed. The forum owner who contracted with Bill Yao for the project, as it was near completion, befell a tragedy (shot his wife and then himself, leaving their 14 yo daughter an orphan)  and the forum closed suddenly. A forum friend revived the forum under a new name, and handled fulfillment for the LE series. ... About once a month I would reflect on this as his initial (R) was on the dial. It nagged at me. Superb watch, some horrid history. (It was a sad affair, so please don't make light of it.)

I miss it, but I'm glad to've let it go. 

Edited by Chromejob