• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Is this quartz Seiko rare ??

It's an elegant design, but when I used Google to find out anything about it, all I come across are non-working sample watches - and not a full working version.

This one I have in the picture here is a fully working Seiko 7N42-0FG0.

Any Seiko buffs out there come across this one before? They don't seem to be common place!

46059286055_52391f8b6c_z.jpg

33097523818_dac02db288_z.jpg

• Like 1

If you type in that model number to Google choose images and look at the ones with Japanese writing /sites underneath you will see several that have been sold/advertised using the translator button also gives all the info in English.

I would deduce that they are Japanese domestic market models.

Less common but not ultra rare.  :)

3 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

I have a very similar model to the one you show, Hickory, but I am not at home at the moment to check if it is exactly the same. This classic Seiko design has appeared in a number of variations on the theme, and I absolutely love it.:)

I wouldn't mind seeing it when you get a chance - there don't seem to many about in the UK so yours would be a welcome relief.

By pure coincidence, I bought another Seiko - because it looked interesting - which again is a Quartz movement! I've started a separate thread about it to find out more ....

Dear Hickory, if you have a look at images of Seiko watches online, you will see that this basic dial and hands design has been used quite a bit by the firm over the years, in both quartz and mechanical watches, Indeed, to me personally, in its purest forms like your watch, it represents one of Seiko's "finest hours.":)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Always"watching" said:

Dear Hickory, if you have a look at images of Seiko watches online, you will see that this basic dial and hands design has been used quite a bit by the firm over the years, in both quartz and mechanical watches, Indeed, to me personally, in its purest forms like your watch, it represents one of Seiko's "finest hours.":)

Thanks again for your feedback. Looking at this watch you can admire its pure simplicity as you say.

I'm looking forward to seeing your example (and anyone else's if indeed anyone else has one). It's time to ramp up Google's search statistics on this watch by introducing others here on this forum who own the same or very similar design.

Dear @Hickory Dickory Dock, just to say that my own quartz example in this style is indeed exactly the same model as your own example, except it has a black dial and stainless steel bracelet. Not long ago, I purchased a brand new automatic Seiko model with a blue dial and stainless steel bracelet. This watch is also in a pure and minimal version of the style and is a bit of a beauty. I illustrated the watch in a post entitled, "Sad Week for a New Seiko," posted by me on 19 January and available in my Honour's Topics section of the Forum.:)

I've just had a look. Firstly, sorry to hear about your fathers passing ...

So this is the automatic variant of my quartz! As most people say, it's simple and elegant.

Almost identical on the face, but on closer inspection I notice where the hands crossover at the bottom, your watch is slightly different - and the markers around the face are tapered on my watch. At first I did not notice anything at all.

When you get a chance - post a photo of your quartz model.

Edited by Hickory Dickory Dock
On 07/02/2019 at 07:44, Steve D70 said:

I don’t care if that’s a quartz, it’s gorgeous .:thumbsup:

edit; How much are they and where can I get one?

A sample model without movement (and "gently cemented" crown) can be found on eBay US for around £40 including delivery and prepaid import charges: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEIKO-MENS-SGEF95-MODERN-NON-WORKING-100M-SAMPLE-QUARTZ-WATCH-7N42-0FG0/283373519710?hash=item41fa60c35e:g:N-EAAOSwKu5bd6Un:rk:4:pf:0

New movement available via CousinsUK for £10 excluding VAT.