• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Quartz v Mechanical approaching the speed of light.

JonnyOldBoy

Just watching "Ancient Aliens" on History Channel ( as you do ) and they just mentioned Einstein's theory of Space-Time and how as a human theoretically travelled at a speed just short of the speed of light, then their watches would slow so that years would be passing relative to the traveller as minutes.... but my point , is , under that situation ... whose watch would be more accurate ? @Davey P's latest Quartz offering .... or @yokel's latest mechanical wizardry !?!?

I repair to my Chaise Longue to anticipate input from the forum ....:thumbsup:

Edited by JonnyOldBoy
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, ry ry said:

They would both be equally accurate, if fully isolated from gravity and any electromagnetic malarkey.

Although in practice the quartz will invariably be more accurate, by merit of being more accurate. ;)

What he said...I think. Hang on, my head hurts 

:huh:

• Haha 1

Half a lb? You're an animal! (It's all grams now, although I believe an eight of an ounce is a flat 3.5g because decimals are hard)

Now I think of it, will an auto Chrono be equally accurate in zero gravity, as it would be if adjusted for life on Earth?

I guess yes, given watches run differently depending which side they're on? 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, WRENCH said:

@Davey P wearing @yokel's obviously. I thought you would have known that.

@Davey P would have the more accurate watch  --  but we would have to work together. I would need to reset mine against his occasionally so that he could use mine as a reference after his battery changes :thumbsup:  --  some of these trips are multi-decade even at 0.95c.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Just watching "Ancient Aliens" on History Channel ( as you do ) and they just mentioned Einstein's theory of Space-Time and how as a human theoretically travelled at a speed just short of the speed of light, then their watches would slow so that years would be passing relative to the traveller as minutes.... but my point , is , under that situation ... whose watch would be more accurate ? @Davey P's latest Quartz offering .... or @yokel's latest mechanical wizardry !?!?

I hope it is a darkened room free of stimulants until you get over this bout.

59 minutes ago, Halitosis said:

Vaguely related newbie question - would an automatic watch self-wind in zero gravity?

Sensible question. Answer no. But interstellar ships would probably spin to give centripetal acceleration as a substitute.

Manual wind is the future :yes:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yokel said:

@Davey P would have the more accurate watch  --  but we would have to work together. I would need to reset mine against his occasionally so that he could use mine as a reference after his battery changes :thumbsup:  --  some of these trips are multi-decade even at 0.95c.

But........... what would happen if your mechanical watch was in the middle of being serviced by @simon2 (yes, you would have to take him along for the ride, so the mechanical bits and pieces could be lubricated and whatever the hell else he does with them...) and the battery on my quartz ran out at the same time?  An unlikely scenario, obviously, but these are the things that keep me awake at night :laughing2dw:  I guess the only answer would be to take some back up watches, just a few, a small... modest... collection.......... Aaaargh, and that's how this obsession starts! :taz:  And by "obsession", I mean "healthy interest", of course :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, yokel said:

Sensible question. Answer no. But interstellar ships would probably spin to give centripetal acceleration as a substitute.

Manual wind is the future :yes:

Actually I think it would self wind. Obviously there's no gravity to pull the rotor "down" but the act of simply moving one's arm would cause inertia ie acceleration, deceleration, would cause the rotor to spin.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ry ry said:

Now I think of it, will an auto Chrono be equally accurate in zero gravity, as it would be if adjusted for life on Earth?

2 hours ago, Halitosis said:

Vaguely related newbie question - would an automatic watch self-wind in zero gravity?

Col. William Pogue didn't seem to have a problem when he took his Seiko 6139 Pepsi on the Skylab 4 mission....which was incidently, the first auto chrono into space.

large.20170910_131524.jpg.62804947c1187a2a673e6d498af7dccd.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Traveling at, or near to, the speed of light causes huge shifts in relative time.  - but I think I read somewhere that even at our current, relatively low orbital speeds of a few 1000 mph there is still a time shift and something somewhere has to take the time shift into consideration.

So, two atomic clocks, one on earth and the other orbiting the earth do deviate by tiniest fractions of a second and some software somewhere in the systems has to take those deviations in to consideration

When we do eventually have interstellar travel each ship will have a few of those futurama 'nibbler' creatures as pets that poop dark matter and every one of us will have a dark matter poop watch that's so heavy that they need half a dozen people to carry one watch - or the muscles on my left arm will get bigger - to match the muscle in my right arm caused by all that, er, watch winding I do here on earth.

• Haha 1

Yes as already said time is relative to your position and speed so both watches would be equally accurate and perhaps the mechanical watch would improve in its accuracy due to gravity not affecting its performance

Interestingly they used to have to reset the onboard chronometre clock on Concorde as it was always out of sync with "world time" due to it travelling at high speed at basically the edge of space for considerably periods of time

• Like 1

Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity comes into play and the space-time continuum, you can't move in space without moving in time. Any cock or watch (quartz or mechanical) will appear to run slower to a stationary observer so to observe the timepiece running slower you would somehow have to be able to see the timepiece when it is in motion! Even a cheap quartz would be more accurate than a mechanical watch assuming that there is not an unknown effect of whizzing about near the speed of light  that fast on the movements!

• Like 1

Davey P (wearing his quartz)...,,sets off from position (a).....traveling at the speed of light,,,,,and yokel sets off from position (a).......(wearing his mechanical watch).....traveling at the same speed in the opposite direction......the control watch at position (a) (a chronograph).......records 1 second.....at which point......Davey P and yokel......switch directions and return to position (a)......traveling at the same speed ....question........how many miles have been covered in the space of the 2 seconds recorded by the control watch......and does Davey P's youthful appearance (blonde hair in pigtails).....describe some deep underlying meaning in the fabric of space and time......or has the entire experiment viewed from a quantum position.... been scaled up or down....does the tip of the second hand of watch move faster than the part nearer the center....or just cover a larger distance in the same amount of time?

33 minutes ago, enfuseeast said:

Davey P (wearing his quartz)...,,sets off from position (a).....traveling at the speed of light,,,,,and yokel sets off from position (a).......(wearing his mechanical watch).....traveling at the same speed in the opposite direction......the control watch at position (a) (a chronograph).......records 1 second.....at which point......Davey P and yokel......switch directions and return to position (a)......traveling at the same speed ....question........how many miles have been covered in the space of the 2 seconds recorded by the control watch......and does Davey P's youthful appearance (blonde hair in pigtails).....describe some deep underlying meaning in the fabric of space and time......or has the entire experiment viewed from a quantum position.... been scaled up or down....does the tip of the second hand of watch move faster than the part nearer the center....or just cover a larger distance in the same amount of time?

Oh, this is too easy, the answer is 186,282 miles x 2 = 372,564 in 2 seconds.

See, I'm not just a pretty face :laughing2dw:

• Haha 1

that guy off ancient aliens cracks me up....the one with the hair like beaker off the muppets.......he seems to attribute every single human achievement ......whether it be the  raising of the pyramids...stonehenge.......einstiein's theories......the work of maxwell or nikola tesla........to aliens..... or at least some kind of extraterrestrial manifestation ......this i think ....kinda diminishes us as a species........i dont understand entirely how a 1930s watch works....how each part was manufactured......and delivered to the place of manufacture........then assembled......this doesn't mean simon 2 is an alien for fixing it for me.....or does it?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, enfuseeast said:

that guy off ancient aliens cracks me up....

Do people take this serious ? Just had a look on YouTube. That's a five minute experience I don't want to re-live. Now, back to London buses on the moon. :laughing2dw:

• Haha 1