Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Rolex Daytona fake?????


Recommended Posts

On 07/02/2019 at 10:47, suzublu said:

Please remove if in breach, but I came across this site *deleted*

I wonder if anyone has ever actually received one of these watches after sending payment - I see the site promotes payment by bank transfer or Western Union so no recourse for no shows :wacko:. Also suspicious that they produce so many different models - each with its own different case size and one or two only released by the manufacturer in the last year or so.

A fool and his money are easily parted I guess

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ah, now there we do have photographic proof.

A Website based in a country with virtually no laws banning fraud and contraband and demanding payment upfront for counterfeit items ... what could possibly go wrong !?

I find the constant challenging of reality tiresome....  I know its the engine of Forums ( or is it Fora ) but when hobbyists suddenly become forensic scientists its exhausting....

On 07/02/2019 at 18:42, JonnyOldBoy said:

A Website based in a country with virtually no laws banning fraud and contraband and demanding payment upfront for counterfeit items ... what could possibly go wrong !?

they might send you a fake like this...look at the font on the dial :laugh: look at the spacing...

*Link Deleted* Do not post links to fake watch sites

 

ignore the duplicate video Jon i put that on again by accident. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/02/2019 at 19:12, Nigelp said:

they might send you a fake like this...look at the font on the dial :laugh: look at the spacing...

*Link Deleted* Do not post links to fake watch site

 

But it has flashy text demanding I buy now!? Surely only reputable dealers have access to such excellent internet skills!?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/02/2019 at 10:47, suzublu said:

Please remove if in breach, but I came across this site *Link Deleted* Do not post links to fake watch site

Pictures are one thing, even I could knock up a website with a few genuine pic but what you'll actually receive is another thing all together. 

bape-type-3-bapex-watches-silver-gold-00

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, relaxer7 said:

I'd just contact Haywood and offer to pay him for his time to inspect it. Make no mistake the guy is an authority on Rolex!

https://www.miltonsjewellers.com/

 

Or more specifically, https://www.miltonaires.com/about/our-watch-team . 

Edited by Chromejob
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/02/2019 at 10:41, JonnyOldBoy said:

On a side note .... I have a chum who purchased a vintage GMT master about 5 years ago at auction. On close inspection he noticed something "iffy" about the dial , the spacing of the letters on the word  Rolex were not consistent and the "E" was closer to the "L" than the "X" .... noticeably so.

He smelt a rat and sent the watch off to Rolex for inspection and service-if-genuine with a cover note explaining  his concerns. The watch came back serviced and gleaming and with an explanation that "in that period of manufacture , some of our printing was indeed a bit ropey in some batches and was only remedied once noticed etc etc " [ or words to that effect ].

I must admit when I saw the watch ( prior to him sending it away ) , I was convinced it had to be less than genuine. So Another example of how tricky this Rolex buying can be....

What real monster does the Loch Ness Monster look like then ? :rofl:

I once posted a picture of my friends Panerai Power Reserve on a forum. I was bombarded with comments pointing out slight differences. After some research it appeared the the same model had been modified many times over a period of years. people were simply comparing the picture with latest model which made it look like a fake. I have since seen the papers. I don't really like these threads, as even with photos it is almost impossible to tell. A good fake can't even be determined by an experienced jeweller, and even the original manufacturer can struggle, so what chance do we stand ?

16 hours ago, Halitosis said:

I wonder if anyone has ever actually received one of these watches after sending payment - I see the site promotes payment by bank transfer or Western Union so no recourse for no shows :wacko:. Also suspicious that they produce so many different models - each with its own different case size and one or two only released by the manufacturer in the last year or so.

A fool and his money are easily parted I guess

I have a friend who purchased a fake Rolex from such a dealer using Western Union. To be fair it turned up, and initially it looked quite good. He tried telling everyone it was real, but when I spun the 60 click loose fitting bezel around in fingers it became obvious it was little better than a looky looky watch. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen a lot of Rolex fakes and one of the things they all had in common was the way the model number and serial number was 'stamped' between the lugs..

I'm not sure how to describe it but think of it as a "Font". The Rolex 'font' between the lugs is very thin, the characters are carved, etched or whatever with a very fine line. The fakes, on the other hand, had similar numbers, correct model numbers etc but the text was just kind of "Stamped" in with a bold font.

I really can't describe it. You'd need to see them side by side. I don't know how Rolex put those numbers between the lugs, Maybe using a laser cutter or some super fine engraving tool but that tool is probably quite expensive.

On the other hand, it is quite a while ago since I looked closely at fake rolex  so maybe nowadays even the fakers have access to super fine engraving tools.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Big thread on this on the Dark Side. Here is a superfake Daytona:

4cd3302e19fc0fa76d9c5b1be8c51fbe.jpg

 

22e097d7619b76e55d08e4fe488e015f.jpg

 

Haywood Milton (who is THE man for Rolex) suggests that the only way to tell is in the movement, but even that would fool a non-expert.

When I buy a used Rolex (at some point), I think I will get it from Milton's shop!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Shoot - that's actually quite worrying - movements has all the bits in the right place for the 4130

Although if I spent daytona money on that I'd be taking it back to the shop to ask why that bracelet end piece (bottom left of the pic) looks like it was shaped with a blunt hacksaw.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, IanE said:

I've seen a lot of Rolex fakes and one of the things they all had in common was the way the model number and serial number was 'stamped' between the lugs..

I'm not sure how to describe it but think of it as a "Font". The Rolex 'font' between the lugs is very thin, the characters are carved, etched or whatever with a very fine line. The fakes, on the other hand, had similar numbers, correct model numbers etc but the text was just kind of "Stamped" in with a bold font.

I really can't describe it. You'd need to see them side by side. I don't know how Rolex put those numbers between the lugs, Maybe using a laser cutter or some super fine engraving tool but that tool is probably quite expensive.

On the other hand, it is quite a while ago since I looked closely at fake rolex  so maybe nowadays even the fakers have access to super fine engraving tools.

 

 

The machine(s) that Rolex use for engraving costs tens of thousands of pounds .... whereas the naughty boys "etching" equipment is a few hundred quids worth... There is a clear difference under a lens.... for those who know what the difference would look like... good post...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/02/2019 at 15:45, relaxer7 said:

I'd just contact Haywood and offer to pay him for his time to inspect it. Make no mistake the guy is an authority on Rolex!

https://www.miltonsjewellers.com/

 

 

15 hours ago, Chromejob said:

Or someone who possibly perpetuates the "Super Fake"  urban myth to enhance their business 

:whistling:

Feel free to call me an old cynic yet again if you like but I never trust anybody with letters after their name. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Roger the Dodger said:

That translates as Seiko kupits......which...er....doesn't make sense....?

So, non the wiser....sorry. :sorry:

 

1 minute ago, Roger the Dodger said:

That translates as Seiko kupits......which...er....doesn't make sense....?

So, non the wiser....sorry. :sorry:

That's what you get for using fake Google translate. :laughing2dw:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I'd do a screen shot, but I'm downstairs on an android tablet that can't do a screenshot and post......give me ten minutes and I'll go and do it on  the PC...

Watch out for garlic. :laughing2dw:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...