Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
n0deity

Help removing glued watch crystal - Grovemade watch

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

Looking for help with a glued watch crystal on my Grovemade watch. The hour hand has fallen off so I'm looking to reattach. I have removed the wood front to discover the crystal is glued (I think) in to the metal rim. There are no further screws and no available 'lip' on the watch to prise the front off (I tried this with a tiny screwdriver but don't want to crack the crystal and as you can see I have started to damage it).

I have read there is either heat or freezing methods to remove the crystal, but the rest of the watch mechanism is still attached. So I'm afraid either heating or freezing would damage the watch permanently.

They're made in the US while I'm in the UK, so replacement parts could be expensive.

Any ideas on a safe way to remove the crystal? help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Martin
 

hDh9XPG
https://ibb.co/hDh9XPG

tQvqnWx
https://ibb.co/tQvqnWx

0KYWgt8
https://ibb.co/0KYWgt8

8Xb2NCf
https://ibb.co/8Xb2NCf

sjGMhRg
https://ibb.co/sjGMhRg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, simon2 said:

If the glass is bonded in, then it will have to be damaged to remove it.

That's what I was hoping to avoid. It's actually plastic too, so difficult to heat it. I will try a hairdryer + as gentle prising as possible and see if it pops out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about chasing around the edge with a hot bladed knife?

Alternatively cut a section out of the centre using the same method, where it cannot be seen when the cover is back on. Hot glue back in situ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, eezy said:

How about chasing around the edge with a hot bladed knife?

Alternatively cut a section out of the centre using the same method, where it cannot be seen when the cover is back on. Hot glue back in situ.

I did think about the second method, although did wonder about moisture and damp getting inside over time through the hole. Thanks for the input I'm going to have a go this weekend.

Cheers,
Martin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I though that I would just illustrate the Grovemade wooden watch model 02, which is my favourite of the Grovemade wooden watches. Not cheap but really rather nice and so much more appealing than many wooden watches one comes across (pic from design-milk.com):

 

Grovemade-Wooden-Watches-1a.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

I though that I would just illustrate the Grovemade wooden watch model 02, which is my favourite of the Grovemade wooden watches. Not cheap but really rather nice and so much more appealing than many wooden watches one comes across (pic from design-milk.com):

 

Grovemade-Wooden-Watches-1a.jpg

 

 

Goodness, :swoon:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

The proper approach is removal of the movements.

No need to damage the crystal.

Not if it will only come out of the front (Front Loader)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, PC-Magician said:

Not if it will only come out of the front (Front Loader)

Ladies and Gentleman; tonight I heard not only someone has actually made a wooden watch but someone else has paid money to buy one.

I best run away, before I come accorss some one who has flown a swiss cheese quartz monkey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Ladies and Gentleman; tonight I heard not only someone has actually made a wooden watch but someone else has paid money to buy one.

I best run away, before I come accorss some one who has flown a swiss cheese quartz monkey.

Who bought one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...