• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Too much lume?

JayDeep

Is there such a thing as too much lume?

What about fully luminous dials? That seems a bit overkill to me.

What quantities as too much lume for you? Where's the line drawn?

For me it's at full dial. I love all the hands and hour markers, even the bezel being luminous, but the entire dial is just crossing my line.

• Like 1

Yep, got this one which looks kind of impressive but actually lumed hands and markers on a lumed face just renders the whole thing completely illegible in person. Plus the lume is spread so thin it's ineffective after a couple of minutes anyway: both too much and not enough in the same watch.

ArVbxv.jpg

Quite like a lumed bezel though..

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I do like bright lume...one of the reasons I'm not keen on tritium gas tubes...they seem dull in comparison to some of the modern compounds. This Seiko 'Frankenmonster' has pretty bright lume...

Seiko 'Frankenmonster' lume

...and I also like different coloured lume, especially blue as on the Citizen 'Orca', 'Ecozilla' and some Rolex.

The 'Orca' has 3 different colours, blue indicies, turquoise hands and a green pip.

Citizen 'Orca' lume

Citizen 'Ecozilla' lume

• Like 4

Lume IMHO is better when it's judicious, and functional. Like the Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra. Or the old Rolex 6542 (this is my Mk II Key West). 

hNDOlwdl.jpg

wsla2Bll.jpg

I'm fond of my Nassau 3-6-9, too.

7ydiewel.jpg

hva5pyHl.jpg

Mk II's Graywater LE is gorgeous, a Benrus Type 1 case with Omega Flightmaster style hands, and a distinctive light saber style sweep seconds hand. 

ZLKt4Z8l.jpg

20141211-0993_graywater_maratacsand_suns

Edited by Chromejob
  • Like 2

On 13/02/2019 at 17:50, Roger the Dodger said:

I do like bright lume...one of the reasons I'm not keen on tritium gas tubes...they seem dull in comparison to some of the modern compounds. This Seiko 'Frankenmonster' has pretty bright lume...

Seiko 'Frankenmonster' lume

Regarding Seiko’s bright lume, isn’t that why they call it Lumibrite? :yes:  Its fiery on my Silver Knight, lasts all night. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Noj said:

I would say that the only time there is too much lume is when you are being hunted by snipers :)

Noj

Have that happen often enough that you can relay the message from experience huh? Lol

You must be a wanted man. Is there a bounty? Because I just might want to go a hunting myself. Lol

25 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

Have that happen often enough that you can relay the message from experience huh? Lol

You must be a wanted man. Is there a bounty? Because I just might want to go a hunting myself. Lol

You are saving for a new watch aren’t you hahahaha

Noj

• Haha 1