• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
mitadoc

Purchase from Japan

Has anyone purchased a watch  from Japan recently? Like last week or so. I read there is a trade deal between UK and Japan and no import taxes for the goods,it is supposed for watches too, but has anyone tried actually to buy a watch from Japan without paying import taxes? Thanks. 

14 minutes ago, mitadoc said:

Has anyone purchased a watch  from Japan recently? Like last week or so. I read there is a trade deal between UK and Japan and no import taxes for the goods,it is supposed for watches too, but has anyone tried actually to buy a watch from Japan without paying import taxes? Thanks. 

The trade deal has come into force but not all import duties/tariffs stop immediately - some will reduce over a period of time e.g the tariff on soft cheese imported to Japan will reduce over a 15 year period. The import duty on a watch is not an issue as there is a fixed rate for a single watch of euro 0.80 but HMRC do not collect anything under euro 0.90. I did check with HMRC (part of another thread) and they said VAT would still be payable at 20% as would excise duty on imports of alcohol so no cheap Japanese whisky :fyou:

Isn't this just a trade deal, just is too small a word but it simply means that Japan will reduce or levy lower import charges for EU goods and the EU will do the same for Japanese imports.

From what I've read it started on the 1st of this month and we'll have the benefit of it until that date that shall not be named in March :D Should hopefully reduce the prices of certain goods but as far as I know customs and duty will still have to be paid by mere mortals like us. 

Edited by IAmATeaf

I have been buying from the far east and the USA for many years now from Ebay and other outlets and it seems it all depends on whether your parcel gets stopped at customs or not, none of my watch purchases from the far east have ever incurred taxes and one was valued at over £4000.. but one parcel from the USA containing Motorcycle parts was once processed and the VAT was added.. there was also a Royal mail charge  I cant remember what is was but I think it may have been about £8 for what I have no idea.. I think its just the luck of the draw as they cant possibly check every item...

2 minutes ago, Speedy112 said:

I have been buying from the far east and the USA for many years now from Ebay and other outlets and it seems it all depends on whether your parcel gets stopped at customs or not, none of my watch purchases from the far east have ever incurred taxes and one was valued at over £4000.. but one parcel from the USA containing Motorcycle parts was once processed and the VAT was added.. there was also a Royal mail charge  I cant remember what is was but I think it may have been about £8 for what I have no idea.. I think its just the luck of the draw as they cant possibly check every item...

Off late they have been more strict and most goods are being stopped and duty charged from what I've read?