UK Watch Forum banner

Back To Front!

450 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Kilrymont 
#1 ·
Evenin' all.

Got this back to front in that I've posted already about a watch I hoped to get some advice about - and hadn't done the decent thing previously.. For which, apologia...

Name's Ian, I'm in East Central Scotland.

Guessing I'm maybe an oldie compared to many. I'm retired, and living a boring sedentary retired life - and am absorbed by collecting "stuff" - the latest category of which appears to be - watches.

I like watches with springs that drive wheels that rotate hands that I can see to read the time without the need to squint to see teensy digital readouts that are sometimes sunk down inside the glazed area, then need interpreted. A clock face, on the other hand needs zero interpretation; you see the hands, you know the time even if your reading spex are across the room.

But I do have other, digital watches. Two Casios, like many others. Both Solar. One's a waveceptor so serves very handily as a reference time piece for setting others to one base standard. The other's a huge black lump of a Mudman. Weird name to choose for a watch! Also a small number of analogue quartz watches which are soulless creatures, only one step less so than the casios. But they're efficient.

And like many here, I'm guessing, I've got some automatics. Not that many, as I'm kind of new to this as an actual interest. Didn't set out to collect watches, but found myself rather drifting into repeat buying without that end in mind. Whether I can maintain the pretence of not being a "collector" is a moot point. But right now, I'm claiming that's the case.

Right now I have three watches away being regulated/repaired. And trying to fight off the notion of getting one of those really subtle :whistling: Invicta divers with the NH35 hacking/winding Seiko movement. I only have one right now that does that, it's a new Orient Ray 2. My, that's a real beauty. The Invicta I thought of getting is the blue bezel/dial Grand Diver- big enough to serve in a smash & grab raid or as an offensive weapon in a tight spot? Just to see what it's like to have half a pound of polished S/Steel strapped to my wrist. Might develop a muscular left arm wearing one too much? Owners seem to either really like them - or lack the gumption to admit they wish they'd never bought the thing?

I'm not, nor will ever be - in the position to buy expensive watches. Submariners and Speedies - no chance. Don't really lust after them either, truth be told.

I don't know much. I'm learning, which is good. I nearly went in pursuit of a decent Bulova Accutron before common sense caught up. Just as well.

Probably too much for a second/first post - in that this should have been my first.

Think that's it?

K

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, Ian, and welcome to the forum! Plenty to keep you interested here, I'm sure. Like you, in another few weeks I shall be retired and able to devote more time to this great hobby!. Plenty of your fellow countrymen and women here, so join the party and have fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.