• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
yokel

Oh Poo !

Twenty days on the winder after working perfectly last time . . . . .

"Came to bits in me 'and. Sir" :sadwalk:

B4mxOvI.jpg

• Sad 4

8 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

Fear not - it looks an easy fix.  Can you see if the stem has snapped, or does it screw on?

Don't think it has snapped. Apart from being rotated 800 times a day, nothing has happened to it!

NCmr4jk.jpg

Just now, scottswatches said:

Is there an internal thread on the non crown end?

There is certainly a hole in it  -- but I cant get it to engage with anything. Presumably it won't be a left hand thread?

it might need stripping down to bolt these together properly, and it needs doing properly in a pin vice with loctite.  But having the crown end does make extracting the other end easier in 90% of cases.  Easier is also cheaper, and if you don't need parts then there is no need to involve Zenith with this repair.  I am pretty sure @simon2 would be able to help with this

• Like 1

Obligatory "It's ruined. I'll give you a fiver for it."

How did you manage that anyway, dropped off winding, or changing position?

• Haha 1

If, as you say it has a threaded hole on the end of the stem. Then it would most likely be a stem extension. Would need to remove the main part of the stem, from the movement and screw it back on, tight. no prob. Here if you need me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks all.

As:

--  this is one of my most worn watches,

--  I bought it from the sales corner on the dark side, and therefore don't have the history,

--  the crown extension "broke" without any known impact,

--  there is evidence (a damaged screw) that the case back has been removed before  -- rather unprofessionally,

I have decided to send it back for service. 

We'll see what they say . . . . . .

• Like 2

Argh never any closure in these threads! What did they say I'm the end @yokel?

(My generous five pound offer still stands, of course)

57 minutes ago, ry ry said:

Argh never any closure in these threads! What did they say I'm the end @yokel?

(My generous five pound offer still stands, of course)

They have sent it back to Le Locle, and given me an estimated return date of June 10th !

I'll expect you to keep your offer open until then :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I dunno, if you're going to mess me about I'm going to have to reduce my offer to £4 and a bag of beef hula hoops. :/

(Fingers crossed for you! Hopefully they can get it sorted. It really is a lovely watch)

• Haha 2

Update

Ernest Jones have sent it to Signet Jewellers in Birmingham, who have come back to me with a revised quote (up from £410 to £544) based upon the "fact" that the watch requires a new rotor. Apparently, this was caused by a knock at around 3 o'clock. Their photo . . . .

9NfvUbU.png

Interestingly, the condition report given by the manager at Ernest Jones (after lengthy examination with a loupe) shows only minor scratches, and no dents.

UyvGpJY.jpg

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that Signet are best avoided.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 07/03/2019 at 11:09, stdape said:

Where do they come up with their prices? 

Don't know.

However, I have to apologize to EJ. They did in fact send it back to LVMH, via Signet (which turns out to be their head office).

We finally agreed on the revised quote of £544, providing it included a refurbishment of the case.

Got it back today  --  looking like new  --  and with a 12 month service warranty from Zenith (who are owned by LVMH). Happy with the outcome, as I now have a watch (which, remember, I bought quite inexpensively on another forum with uncertain provenance) which has the manufacturers' certification of "OKness".

xkdQZGf.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yokel said:

Don't know.

However, I have to apologize to EJ. They did in fact send it back to LVMH, via Signet (which turns out to be their head office).

We finally agreed on the revised quote of £544, providing it included a refurbishment of the case.

Got it back today  --  looking like new  --  and with a 12 month service warranty from Zenith (who are owned by LVMH). Happy with the outcome, as I now have a watch (which, remember, I bought quite inexpensively on another forum with uncertain provenance) which has the manufacturers' certification of "OKness".

Good to see a positive outcome. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1