• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Roy

Classifieds

Hoping to have this ready also in a few days. 

Would anyone be interested in an Auction system too?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Roy said:

Sounds like a good idea.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, relaxer7 said:

Yeah great idea Roy - you could maybe take a nominal fee for the fundraiser too!

I agree with the above ^ could be a way of helping pay for the running of the forum. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roy said:

I think it is a great idea Roy

Sounds like a good idea Roy.

If it's an "eBay styled auction", can we set a reserve price though? That would be my only request. :thumbsup:

Sounds like it might be a bit of a chore to manage it and I have a reservation re the suggestion from MrF-UK82 sorry dont know your name, that if a reserve is set it will likely be at the price it would have appeared in the classifieds anyway which sort of defeats the purpose IMHO

• Like 1

I'm on a Land Rover club site that has a Friday auction night once a month or so. There's a lot of banter, some sales (reserves too high) and a few arguments (all auctions end at the same time leading to the arguments).

They're great fun with a bag of pop corn if you're staying in on a Friday night, otherwise they're a bit useless.

Agree with Niveketak above re the Classifieds, but these's no harm in trying it for a few weeks to see how it goes. I'd imagine it'd be difficult to moderate/organise though?

I think sellers should pay a fee to forum upkeep.

sales forum works well as is..auctions could cause complications 

Not sure about the auction system (as far as technical stuff goes, that is) but regarding the upkeep of the forum I have an idea.

What if on a weekly/bi-weekly basis Roy will purchase a watch that cost, say, 100 GBP, puts it up for a paid raffle (1-2 GBP per ticket with a 50-100 whatever ticket limit per user) and then we just wait until the pool of bought tickets reaches 130% (or maybe a bit more, say, 150%) and only then is the raffle being drawn.

This way some money is being earned by the forum. In this case around 30 GBP would go into the forum upkeep and one of the members gets a nice watch for a small sum.

This has been done before and perhaps it might be a good idea to continue.

Edited by gimli
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, niveketak said:

Sounds like it might be a bit of a chore to manage it and I have a reservation re the suggestion from MrF-UK82 sorry dont know your name, that if a reserve is set it will likely be at the price it would have appeared in the classifieds anyway which sort of defeats the purpose IMHO

Yes I agree totally. In which case, the auction probably isn't the best of idea's.

Oh and my names Chris... Some people call me Sir Chris or Lord Chris... You can just call me "Jesus"... :laugh: 

2 minutes ago, MrF-UK82 said:

Yes I agree totally. In which case, the auction probably isn't the best of idea's.

Oh and my names Chris... Some people call me Sir Chris or Lord Chris... You can just call me "Jesus"... :laugh: 

Blimey Jesus and Lord, think I will stick to Chris, 

Kevin

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, niveketak said:

Blimey Jesus and Lord, think I will stick to Chris, 

Kevin

Cheers Kevin...

Chris is a lot more polite than i get called normally, so i will take that!! :thumbs_up:

I’d vote no for an auction function. Could attract flies, and the upkeep and policing would require more time and diligence. There are sufficient numbers of auction sites elsewhere.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of the idea.  There are items that I genuinely don't know the value, so auctions work for those, but eBay is a much larger base than any forum for these items.  I have sold watches needing repair on eBay and been surprised at what they fetch - often meaning it makes more financial sense to sell them then repair them.