• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

3 hours ago, enfuseeast said:

now i am haunted by that terrifying phrase "are ye leeking fer a mars bar"

You only need to get worried if you're threatened with "the malky". :huh:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, enfuseeast said:

Malcolm Frazor ...the name rings a bell ... @WRENCH

Rhyming slang for open razor.

• Haha 1

Hi

I have a few knives and bought two more last week from the bootsale!!

One is an Enzo carbon blade (Have a kit with a stainless blade somewhere unmade!), The other is (So i'm informed) made by a chap has been outed as a bit naughty after claiming to have made these from scratch when actually the blades were made in Pakistan!

axz0can.jpg

JXh265X.jpg

ZHDDRJg.jpg

9buneIa.jpg

I paid £35 each which I reckon is something of a bargain!!

I was duped last year when I swapped my BSA Superstar carbine mk2 and a Webley Hurricane for these, The Spidies and Hinderer are all clones and almost worthless, The lad told me one Spidie was a clone but he wasn't sure which :mad0218:

ccoeNuQ.jpg

Some of the others..

dn5vX5T.jpg

John :)

20 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

I also built up a quite large collection of old and new knives, mainly folders and the multi-blade Swiss pocket knives from Wenger and Victorinox but also including sheath knives and knives for marine use. I even had a small Spanish-made woodman's axe in the collection. Over the years I was collecting, I began to feel uneasy about possessing these knives and I must admit that the news stories about knife crime did make me think seriously about the wisdom and morality of collecting knives. The result was that I sold off about three-quarters of my collection through a reputable auction house, and am only glad that watches, and other things I was interested in, were easily able to supplant knives as a collecting interest.

I attach no opprobrium to others who still enjoy and collect knives, and can still appreciate a really good knife, old or new.:)

I understand your feeling uneasy about knives and collecting them. I've got a couple of dozen but haven't bought any new ones for quite a while. I don't think my wife is keen on my interest in knives but I balance this by also liking (and having several) teddy bears.  In the past, I've had a knife "seized" at customs and received a Border Force letter advising me that I can appeal. This was an assisted opener and certainly not a flick knife. I appreciate that customs officials can't spend too much time in distinguishing between technicalities of knife operation but my understanding is that a knife which can be flipped open with blade pressure from a "tension bar" and not a spring attached to a handle-button is legal. Crime never seems to involve decent quality collector knives. I like the craftsmanship of a good knife in the same way I can appreciate the work that goes into repairing a high-end pair of shoes. I'd guess that many people (mostly men) who like "gear" share a wide range of interests. Watches, pens, knives, shaving equipment, tools etc are all functional items which can be cheaply made and almost disposable or premium quality over-engineered collectors' items which can last a lifetime. I feel some uneasiness about having so many knives but if I wanted to go on the rampage I would probably only take one of them. Most people have need for a knife on a reasonably frequent basis. Some will struggle to open their parcels with scissors (or a spoon) and others will use a well made folder. Strangely I think it's been a lack of money that's led me to have so many knives. If I had more available funds I'd probably buy one £1,000 custom-made piece rather than numerous £20+ knives. If I'd saved most of the money I'd spent on watches over the last 25 years I'd be able to buy the Omega Speedmaster I've always wanted. Enough rambling....

Cheers.

Gary

• Like 1

3 hours ago, johnbaz said:

Hi

I have a few knives and bought two more last week from the bootsale!!

One is an Enzo carbon blade (Have a kit with a stainless blade somewhere unmade!), The other is (So i'm informed) made by a chap has been outed as a bit naughty after claiming to have made these from scratch when actually the blades were made in Pakistan!

axz0can.jpg

JXh265X.jpg

ZHDDRJg.jpg

9buneIa.jpg

I paid £35 each which I reckon is something of a bargain!!

I was duped last year when I swapped my BSA Superstar carbine mk2 and a Webley Hurricane for these, The Spidies and Hinderer are all clones and almost worthless, The lad told me one Spidie was a clone but he wasn't sure which :mad0218:

ccoeNuQ.jpg

Some of the others..

dn5vX5T.jpg

Plenty of fakes around ,some are difficult to spot,bit like watches and many other things.

• Like 1

Yes, Bonzo, there are many fakes out there and other knives that are just plain crap. As with watches, nothing beats experience and knowledge when it comes to choosing a good one.:)

• Like 1

Like the logic. @GaryH
Offsetting your knife collection with teddy bears :laugh: .....let's hope yer  Mrs. don't wake up one morning and find the room strewn with sawdust and stuffing...and one of your knives missing....after a "rampage" lol :taz:

30 minutes ago, enfuseeast said:

Like the logic. @GaryH
Offsetting your knife collection with teddy bears :laugh: .....let's hope yer  Mrs. don't wake up one morning and find the room strewn with sawdust and stuffing...and one of your knives missing....after a "rampage" lol :taz:

Good point mate :biggrin:. I will blame my Sweep glove puppet.

• Haha 1

nice collection @johnbaz ..... are you a "blades" fan by any chance? lol..... or wednesday? :).... bet there's some great knives bobbing around on the boot sales up there in sheff.....you cant beat "old" sheffield steel (pre stainless)....for achieving a razor sharp edge....even those old sheffield steel butter knives with the bone handles you can sharpen well enough for a shave :thumbsup:

On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 18:17, enfuseeast said:

well if this is an"amnesty"......here's 2 of mine i'm handing in... (found on boot sales in Pompey).... 2 W.W.2....."dangerous"....bully beef tin openers/boot lace cutter/horse hoof cleaner?/owel  oul ?cant spell auel (hole maker?)....anyhoo....they both sharpen much better than any of my other knives (stainless steel kitchen knives)......but be aware.....i was stopped once by a cop here who removed a 3cm keyring folding stanley blade from my person....and when asked what i used it for,,,,i had to admit (embarrassingly).....it was for removing small pieces of plastic from a frame to make model aircraft.....sigh.....and also was just about to warn @Teg62x about the dangers of receiving "knife gifts"......from scottsmen ...... until i noticed "the kingdom of Fife".....in his profile.....and @WRENCH......was the donator ......now i am haunted by that terrifying phrase "are ye leeking fer a mars bar"....Scotts translation...."are you looking for a scar"....lol.....anyhoo here they are

IMG_20190223_170109IMG_20190223_170018IMG_20190223_170037

Great knives, these are the type I collect. I've got over a hundred.. yes it's an obsession ! :naughty:

• Like 1

On 25/02/2019 at 10:59, enfuseeast said:

nice collection @johnbaz ..... are you a "blades" fan by any chance? lol..... or wednesday? :).... bet there's some great knives bobbing around on the boot sales up there in sheff.....you cant beat "old" sheffield steel (pre stainless)....for achieving a razor sharp edge....even those old sheffield steel butter knives with the bone handles you can sharpen well enough for a shave :thumbsup:

I'm afraid I can't stand footy but the wife is a 'Blade'!! :whistle:

I have found some great old Sheffield made knives at the bootsales around here too!! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

The red Victorinox is a gift from a well know and respected forum member; the black one a military issue gift from a Finnish pal. The red one lives in the kitchen and gets used a lot, from peeling, to an excellent can opener, to opening wine and beer bottles :drinks:. The black one is rarely used as the Leatherman trumps it in every department.

large.1551542634278118166397450169368.jpg.d190c81ccfa38ae569cd43574633061d.jpg

One of the Leathermans is generally in a pocket or on my belt, ne'er a day goes by with it getting some use (normally a blade, the pliers or one of the screwdrivers). they're an amazingly versatile and strong tool.large.15515422605832872844209883473496.jpg.3accbfe60b1f0408b60c98b38b4ab004.jpglarge.15515423011314205137477010701173.jpg.c90b020c980600279ed287444a2a507d.jpglarge.15515422295794989688120668249901.jpg.30da6e33bcf96cca53f733fcbfa769dd.jpg

The British army knife stays in the potting shed and gets plenty of use in the vegetable patch.large.15515421827577109513528763252730.jpg.f920e97189cab0b716a9ac2f15414687.jpglarge.15515421447675718836518974178908.jpg.c0bbb6e2b0c3773028b4fb50fe57c2d7.jpg

Whilst the Opinel lives in the Land Rover.

large.15515440277313067074503183243948.jpg.127bdbb0adad0774303f45b935b3903f.jpglarge.1551544047473585679845996697614.jpg.ce80447044fccf1be8928a6dd01ed55b.jpg

Edited by Deco
  • Like 1

I have a couple of unusual ones...The first is a Browning Sports knife which my other half bought me when I first started working on the estate and realised I had to shoot lots of rabbits. I complained that I didn't have a sharp knife for skinning etc., so she went to a sports shop and was sold this. It has filled my freezer with rabbit many times over.

Browning Sports Knife.

Browning Sports Knife.

Browning Sports Knife.

Browning Sports Knife.

The second is a 'knife' I inherited from my father, who I believe had it from his. Its quite a large thing (13") with a strangely curved blade which locks into place with a powerful spring clip. I can only assume it's some kind of folding billhook, used to cut small branches and limbs from trees and shrubs.

Folding billhook

Folding billhook

Locking clip on top of the handle.

Folding billhook

Folding billhook

Folding billhook

I have cleaned up all the old knife threads and merged them into this one. Well worth a look at Big Rick's collection, his posts start here:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

some kind of folding billhook,

Sometimes referred to as a "Spar Hook" and used by thatchers.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bonzodog said:

Thinned my collection down to three users,this one arrived yesterday.

large.77A2DB5B-D15C-44ED-B13E-837944C7CFD9.jpeg.56c603002ed4248de4fc05bcdab55409.jpeg

I'm going to have a  clear out. I've read the current law, and what's being proposed for the future. It would appear current "legal carry" knives that can be opened one handed will be outlawed. As I do a lot of walking carrying camping gear, I don't want to fall foul of some over zealous constable, carrying an axe also worries me.

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

I'm going to have a  clear out. I've read the current law, and what's being proposed for the future. It would appear current "legal carry" knives that can be opened one handed will be outlawed. As I do a lot of walking carrying camping gear, I don't want to fall foul of some over zealous constable, carrying an axe also worries me.

My understanding is one hand opening if a lock blade.

16 minutes ago, Bonzodog said:

My understanding is one hand opening if a lock blade.

Unfortunately the whole thing is open interpretation. Meanwhile, kitchen knives with 8" blades are for sale in TK MAXX, where any scumbag can be off with them.