• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Doxa Chinese made?

4 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

True , it just means you have less control on quality and have to trust the producer. Fine for a watch costing a few bucks , but for me a few grand is problematic.....

There must be millions of eta, Seiko, Miyota powered watches out there, assembled by "secondary" suppliers, what's not to trust in these cases regarding quality control. For me, a watch is problematic if it unreliable in its use. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@JonnyOldBoy Exactly, Doxa and many other mid-priced brands are not 100% Swiss parts and don't claim to be. Parts like case blanks, case backs, crystals, bracelets, and packaging are likely to be outs

If you still cannot find the answer for your questions please contact us using the form below, choosing the right department      

Yes I know Watchlords has been banging this particular conspiracy drum for years, but it is nice of you to acknowledge they do qualify as Swiss made now run along and go and play on your own forum

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

There must be millions of eta, Seiko, Miyota powered watches out there, assembled by "secondary" suppliers, what's not to trust in these cases regarding quality control. For me, a watch is problematic if it unreliable in its use. 

I never said there is something "not to trust" , my point is that control is lost in out sourcing but I have not an issue with that for a sub £1000 watch... none whatsoever... 

• Like 1

"airbus".....outsource to various different countries within the E.U.  and assemble in Toulouse.... @WRENCH @JonnyOldBoy...... when i get on a plane... i'm not that bothered if the wings are better than the engines or airframe.... just that it gets to the destination on time....and doesn't crash into the sea..... at which point my "DOXA".... can be tested against the "SUBMARINER" on the wrist of the guy sat next to me on the plane....as we gargle our last breaths and our relatives await the results recorded on the "black box"......:)

• Haha 1

also .... when i buy a courgette from asda/sainsbury.....i want to know it is not a genetically modified zukini....and all the profits don't go to walmart....or even worse a hard working eastern european on minimum wage picking them.....sigh....the joy of consumer choice

@WRENCH where is the guy on a bike with a stripey vest and a bunch of onions round his neck?

3 hours ago, enfuseeast said:

"airbus".....outsource to various different countries within the E.U.  and assemble in Toulouse...

Not true really is it. Airbus don't outsource to "different countries" for main component assemblies , for instance Airbus near Broughton is not an outsourced manufacturing/assembly operation , it's an Airbus manufacturing operation. 

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 12:01, enfuseeast said:

Interesting @WRENCH
 Harley Davidson had a maufacturing plant in Hiroshima in 1929...I won't ask if it's still there

a Japanes  made harley flathead 70;  that would somthing to have.   vin   

10 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Exactly

• Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...
On 20/02/2019 at 23:22, JayDeep said:

Was recently faced with a potential realization that Doxa watches aren't "Swiss made" as claimed. Some guy in another forum claimed that it's part of some watch group based and produced in China. Or at the very least definitely not Swiss.

He claimed that nobody has ever seen or been inside of the supposed Doxa Swiss factory, which was his proof of his findings.

Any thoughts or knowledge?

Screen shots taken from walca asia site by me in 2009. After publication at watch forums the links went 404. Doxa has claimed to be swiss made but no one has ever toured their factory. Wonder why?

[url=http://www.walca.ch/index.php?m=100&c=100]http://www.walca.ch/index.php?m=100&c=100[/url]

[url=http://www.walca.ch/index.php?m=100&c=100]http://www.walca.ch/index.php?m=100&c=100[/url]

[img]http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz133/fuzzy-rabbits/ASIAN%20WATCHES/LZ2F0929_duplex1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz133/fuzzy-rabbits/ASIAN%20WATCHES/chino-swiss2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz133/fuzzy-rabbits/ASIAN%20WATCHES/chini-swiss.jpg[/img]

Jenny Family aka Walca owns Doxa also.

Walca is a Swiss private label manufacturer owned by the Jenny family who also own the Doxa brand. As is common with many small brands Doxa are made by a private label manufacturer.

Doxa watches are assembled in Switzerland by Walca, inspected in Switzerland by Walca, have Swiss movements and a minimum of 60% of the value of components are Swiss so meet the criteria for "Swiss Made". Doxa are also on record as saying the cases for the Doxa Sub watches are also made in Switzerland and that they exceed the 60%. Walca also have a far-east factory which makes non Swiss branded watches and some components which may or may not be used in Swiss branded watches which of course they are entitled to do.

A lot of it comes from lack of knowledge of a many internet experts who think every brand has their own factory, "Doxa haven't got a factory" is a common cry. The internet page screen grabs you posted are often cited as evidence that Doxa are made in China, sorry but it isn't evidence, it's an image in the background put in by some web designer. Doxa / Walco would be foolish in the extreme to lie given the penalties for fraudulently labelling a watch as Swiss Made

Quite frankly this old chestnut was put to bed years ago by most people 

• Like 2
On 24/10/2020 at 05:11, JoT said:

Walca is a Swiss private label manufacturer owned by the Jenny family who also own the Doxa brand. As is common with many small brands Doxa are made by a private label manufacturer.

Doxa watches are assembled in Switzerland by Walca, inspected in Switzerland by Walca, have Swiss movements and a minimum of 60% of the value of components are Swiss so meet the criteria for "Swiss Made". Doxa are also on record as saying the cases for the Doxa Sub watches are also made in Switzerland and that they exceed the 60%. Walca also have a far-east factory which makes non Swiss branded watches and some components which may or may not be used in Swiss branded watches which of course they are entitled to do.

A lot of it comes from lack of knowledge of a many internet experts who think every brand has their own factory, "Doxa haven't got a factory" is a common cry. The internet page screen grabs you posted are often cited as evidence that Doxa are made in China, sorry but it isn't evidence, it's an image in the background put in by some web designer. Doxa / Walco would be foolish in the extreme to lie given the penalties for fraudulently labelling a watch as Swiss Made

Quite frankly this old chestnut was put to bed years ago by most people 

Actually it has not been put to bed except by doxa fan bois. The cases are made in china, the ebauches are sent to Walca East from Switzerland and then returned to Switzerland for final assembly and inspection. That is the only way Doxa meets the Swiss made criteria. Not any different than the spin about orange dials being the best for underwater use.

This is an easy way to conceptualize the current Swiss law, which raised the limit from 50% to 60% in 2017 — but it requires some unpacking. That line is actually only one of the four main requirements listed. In addition, a watch’s movement must also be considered “Swiss,” the movement must be encased in Switzerland, and the final manufacturer’s inspection must take place in the country.

In perfect legalese and dotted with copious footnotes, the law goes on to qualify each and every term. What criteria, for instance, make the movement itself “Swiss?” It must be assembled and inspected in Switzerland, and 60% of its manufacturing costs generated there (50% of all movement parts’ value, excluding the cost of assembly, must also be Swiss). Other elements like the case have similar provisions.

These rules are meant to be quantifiable by referring to “manufacturing costs” and “value,” but these are dense terms. Manufacturing can involve a number of processes, and costs are generally much higher in Switzerland than, say, a country like China — leaving room for significant parts and labor to not be Swiss. It’s no secret that many parts used in Swiss Made watches today come from China, but it’s not exactly advertised, either. The parts and labor associated with producing a watch will differ significantly on a case by case basis. It’s safe to say that many companies go to great lengths to comply with the “60% Rule.”

6 hours ago, koimaster said:

Actually it has not been put to bed except by doxa fan bois. The cases are made in china, the ebauches are sent to Walca East from Switzerland and then returned to Switzerland for final assembly and inspection. That is the only way Doxa meets the Swiss made criteria. Not any different than the spin about orange dials being the best for underwater use.

Yes I know Watchlords has been banging this particular conspiracy drum for years, but it is nice of you to acknowledge they do qualify as Swiss made now run along and go and play on your own forum

• Like 3
8 hours ago, JoT said:

Watch makers/companies etc etc have to make money ... They also have a reputation. I would not be sucked towards a watch that had it case made in China , but I understand how price points work and how margins are achieved by outsourcing overseas the making of the more expensive agricultural parts of a watch. It's also interesting to hear how people over egg the "Swiss made" thing, as you suggest, is a qualification , not a stamp of quality per se.

@JonnyOldBoy Exactly, Doxa and many other mid-priced brands are not 100% Swiss parts and don't claim to be. Parts like case blanks, case backs, crystals, bracelets, and packaging are likely to be outsourced and bought from where they are cheaper - they are not Rolex when all said and done. Do they still meet the Swiss Made criteria? Yes.

There's a very detailed guide to the use of Swiss Made for the anoraks amongst us

https://www.fhs.swiss/file/8/Guide_FH_v.5_en.pdf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1