UK Watch Forum banner

1976 Rolex Explorer II; where to now?

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  JoT 
#1 ·
Greetings. I am thinking of replacing my venerable Rolex Explorer II, model 1655, bought in London in 1976, with a new Explorer - though I think the face-markings on the old model are preferable. Having just found out how valuable the older watches can be, I may hang on to it - or welcome a new owner who will give it a good home. I am wondering how best to do the latter and helpful comments would be greatly appreciated.

So far, dealers have given me estimates ranging from £5,000 to£17,000 subject to condition. Great. So I'm back where I started. That said, my sense is that on a good day a dealer might pay £10,000. I have no idea how much an individual would part with. As I live in Suffolk, UK, the nearer to base it is, the better.

The old watch has been great, a real battle-cruiser that can tell a tale or two as well as the time. It's done plenty of travelling, including to some dodgy parts of the world where sun-cream is at the bottom of the list when considering your health and well-being. So condition is fair, I suppose. But if a watch is going well at age 43 years, and after a major service by Rolex in Geneva in 2010 costing £860, condition might also be considered 'good'. Original box available.

As I said, helpful comments would be welcomed. Many thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
There was a Rolex Explorer 6150 circa 1953 at an auction in Suffolk just last wednesday at Lockdales , don't know if you are familiar with them ?
Their estimate was 12-15K which is quite surprising for them as they normally put low come and get me type estimates on their lots .
It fetched 9K plus comm

I would keep it and save up for the explorer 2 , I would imagine if you sold it you'd only regret it later , and it's only going to increase in value , probably at a faster rate than a modern piece too.
Just my opinion of course

#5 ·
In my view the Rolex Explorer II model 1655 is a masterpiece - and as it has been your sturdy wrist companion for so many years, surely you can't be serious about selling it?

Of course, the Explorer II is still a true classic even in today's iteration, and I wonder if you couldn't build up sufficient funds to acquire a new one in due course without having to selling the one you already have.

:)

#6 ·
Many thanks for your replies. The balance and clasp were replaced as part of the 2010 service. On checking further, it looks like the watch is a 1973 model.

I can't find a facility for posting pics.

I spoke to Mappin and Webb about ordering a new Explorer II and they say that there could be a 6-12 month wait because Rolex may be introducing a new model Explorer II at a watch fair/exhibition/watch trade fair, (presumably held in UK and/or Europe/Bsael) in the next 2/3 weeks. (If so, no doubt there will be a price increase; current UK cost is £6250.)

Has anyone heard similar?

#7 ·
I'd service it and keep it but I doubt there will be substantive updates at Basel-world 2019. They are probably just putting you off until the yearly price rise kicks in. Look elsewhere for a current model explorer, they aren't as rare as AD's like to make out often making it to window displays (where they sell quickly though).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.