• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Classic_1

Omega Seamaster 300 Help

You can buy the recent inky black/blues NEW for £2350-ish so personally I would buy one of those... oh... I did.... :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

You can buy the recent inky black/blues NEW for £2350-ish so personally I would buy one of those... oh... I did.... :thumbsup:

I'm seriously thinking about trading mine in for the blue .I was concerned about the co axial movement from what I read the 2500d has had all the early teathing troubles sorted out .very tempted to start the ball rolling today.

• Like 1

OP - my experience is that prices advertised on Ebay can often be "flexible" - send the seller a message with your mobile number asking them to call you. When they do, ask if they'd be willing to sell direct for £1400 - saving themselves 10% ebay sellers fees. Worst that can happen is they decline or make a counter-offer.

41 minutes ago, Halitosis said:

OP - my experience is that prices advertised on Ebay can often be "flexible" - send the seller a message with your mobile number asking them to call you. When they do, ask if they'd be willing to sell direct for £1400 - saving themselves 10% ebay sellers fees. Worst that can happen is they decline or make a counter-offer.

You get an Ebay warning if you supply your mobile number on a message or listing

5 minutes ago, Craftycockney said:

You get an Ebay warning if you supply your mobile number on a message or listing

Yes that can happen. think if I remember correctly I asked a question about item description. Also told the guy in that message I lived close to him .He sent me his number some numbers as o7eight tree 49.two5 you get the idea EBay don't pick up on it .

the craftycockney could be doing with being a wee bit more crafty :biggrin:

I do really like the co axial ones. Just too far out of my budget unfortunately..

Have you priced the typical service expense?

We have a saying around here, “buy the seller then the watch.” When you’re cruising eBay and other sales sites, just keep saying that to yerself.

Not only is that a red flag when a SELLER proposes that, but bypassing eBay removes the buyer protection the service offers.

Worst that can happen is the seller agrees, the private sale is made, and the watch isn’t genuine or the description was doctored. Buyer is then well and truly screwed, outside of Paypal or credit card protections.

11 hours ago, Classic_1 said:

Link to a watch.

If you link the auction, and state your offer, you're leaving yourself wide open to somebody seeing it and offering the seller fifty quid more if you've found something particularly nice.

People here are generally standup dudes (and dudettes) but it's a public forum and all that. Something to consider. :yes:

Edited by ry ry

On 04/03/2019 at 21:36, Craftycockney said:

If you are buying from a business seller on the Bay then they MUST provide seller contact information , with a business address at the very least. So if you are buying from a business then this does not arise. Regards private selling... Remember that selling a watch on eBay only costs the seller £50 final fee max , so asking them to risk their selling status for a sale at discount less the £50 is not always worth it..... 

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 23:18, JonnyOldBoy said:

This is a tempting strategy for me. A brand new watch with a 5 year warranty. Servicing and other costs are quite a lot further into the future than may be the case with a used watch.

@JonnyOldBoy, where did you find them for that price? £2,450 is the best price I have been offered, so far (from an AD).

Thanks, David

On 03/03/2019 at 21:01, martinzx said:

No it is a bit rough the edges are rough and the lume is not to good imo, the caliber is right the 1120.

Check out SMP bond buyers guides

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?421292-Seamaster-300m-buying-guide

Cheers Martin

Here is a good vintage buyers guide, some good advice

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/buying-vintage-omega-advice-beginners-722077.html#/topics/722077

Cheers Martin

I just clicked on that first link thinking 'this will be an interesting read' and then realised I had written some of it! :laugh:

One very quick comment I would make about this. Don't be fooled into buying one which needs much cosmetic work. Parts like the bezel and crystal are very expensive and not included in the std service fee. To make it work viably, a watch in need of either of those needs to be purchased at less than a grand, if it needs both, way way less. Getting a mint serviced SMP Auto at less than £1,500 today is basically impossible without a lot of luck. You'll see plenty cheaper, but there will often be big money needed to make minter out of them. To those that say, just get the ceramic at £2K, there are many, myself included who find the ceramic model inferior in several ways. Not knocking it as a choice but it is not a no-brainer to choose that over something like a 2254.

Edited by Padders
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Leatherseat said:

This is a tempting strategy for me. A brand new watch with a 5 year warranty. Servicing and other costs are quite a lot further into the future than may be the case with a used watch.

@JonnyOldBoy, where did you find them for that price? £2,450 is the best price I have been offered, so far (from an AD).

Thanks, David

That price was from Grey Market .... and the Warranty would have been the old structure so the £2450 from ADs with the full new warranty package is the way to go.... plus you should get a bit of interest free to soften the blow..... Seriously ridiculous price for the watch in my view. 

58 minutes ago, Padders said:

To those that say, just get the ceramic at £2K, there are many, myself included who find the ceramic model inferior in several ways. Not knocking it as a choice but it is not a no-brainer to choose that over something like a 2254.

Actually I would agree with this... those that maybe seek to appreciate more of the subtleties of this series of watches should indeed heed this advice and consider. Me personally, I did not need to fact in those issues , just after a very nice beater for daily wear ... etc etc ... but its a good point...

3 hours ago, Classic_1 said:

What's everyone's thoughts on the condition of the watch itself? 

Looking closely at that listing. The watch looks OK but the paperwork suggest the service cost £600 at 'The Watch Hospital' ie not Omega or STS (who are the best at these). They mention a 'replacement bezel insert'. This is a major worry since Omega do not supply just the insert, only the complete bezel at a cost of circa £225. This may be a bodged repair, or they may have stumped up for a full bezel, it looks OK but I would study this closely if I bought it. His £600 outlay would have paid for a full service, refinish and new bezel at Omega so he didn't get good value there!

Edited by Padders

I love the Omega Seamaster and Speedmaster ranges, but not sure I could wear a Speedmaster due to the size of my wrists

I think I'd really like one of the new black Seamaster ones with the adjustable clasp, engraved waves and co axial movement.

I really need to go try one on at some point...

On 02/03/2019 at 23:31, JonnyOldBoy said:

No obvious alarm bells..... The only question I would ask the seller is why are they selling it, because they appear to be an eBay buyer ,,,, usually.

No harm asking the question, but not sure it helps the buyer unless the seller says something like ‘I’m selling because it is broken’.

3 minutes ago, Vindolanda said:

No harm asking the question, but not sure it helps the buyer unless the seller says something like ‘I’m selling because it is broken’.

"Not sure it helps the buyer" .... really ? 

21 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

"Not sure it helps the buyer" .... really ? 

Yes really. What does ‘I’m selling because I lost my job’ or ‘I’m selling because I have too many watches’ tell the buyer about the watch? The question will only elicit information about the seller’s circumstances, which might not even be true. Asking questions about the watch itself would be more helpful.