• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Classic_1

Omega Seamaster 300 Help

2 hours ago, Vindolanda said:

Yes really. What does ‘I’m selling because I lost my job’ or ‘I’m selling because I have too many watches’ tell the buyer about the watch? The question will only elicit information about the seller’s circumstances, which might not even be true. Asking questions about the watch itself would be more helpful.

You obviously don't buy much on eBay..... 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

You obviously don't buy much on eBay..... 

Why obviously?

So I caved. Fell for the new Tissot seastar 1000 powermatic steel bracelet blue Dial. Just ordered it. Stunning watch. From authorised dealer at a good price. No stress or worries of being sold a fake :)

18 hours ago, Vindolanda said:

Why obviously?

Because you see no value in striking up a warm conversation with a private seller of a watch worth a lot of money to try and find out as much as possible about the situation around the sale. Its a fairly basic fundamental when buying from non-traders with high value items.... It usually pretty easy to smell a rat ( or not ) from any such responses.... Just a case of the more you can glean from a seller the better especially in the case of a non-trader....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Classic_1 said:

So I caved. Fell for the new Tissot seastar 1000 powermatic steel bracelet blue Dial. Just ordered it. Stunning watch. From authorised dealer at a good price. No stress or worries of being sold a fake :)

Good watches well done!

• Like 1

Because you see no value in striking up a warm conversation with a private seller of a watch worth a lot of money to try and find out as much as possible about the situation around the sale. Its a fairly basic fundamental when buying from non-traders with high value items.... It usually pretty easy to smell a rat ( or not ) from any such responses.... Just a case of the more you can glean from a seller the better especially in the case of a non-trader....

I think it shows little more than he’s skeptical, not necessarily an inexperienced eBayer.

37 minutes ago, Chromejob said:

I think it shows little more than he’s skeptical, not necessarily an inexperienced eBayer.

Experience would dilute any skepticism.....Being skeptical of sellers honesty and being skeptical of the validity and use of asking a question are two entirely different matters.

On 10/03/2019 at 11:29, Classic_1 said:

I think its got an 80 hour power reserve. Let us know how you get on with it 

On 10/03/2019 at 18:16, JoT said:

Good watches well done!

On 09/03/2019 at 19:20, Classic_1 said:

Right, looks like I'm going to buy this  seamaster 300 on ebay  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OMEGA-SEAMASTER-PROFESSIONAL-300m-41mm-JAMES-BOND-WATCH-REF-25318000/153336140323 is there anyway where I can get confirmed it's the real deal after I've bought it without sending it off to omega? 

Er…

"Unfortunately we are unable to accept returns on antique, vintage or second hand goods including second hand vehicles, watches, jewellery, aircrafts or boats."

Yes you are – by law, and by eBay rules as a business seller.

I wouldn't risk it  :huh:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, it'salivejim said:

jewellery, aircrafts or boats.

They also don't know the plural of "aircraft" is "aircraft". For that reason, I'm out!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Boots said:

They also don't know the plural of "aircraft" is "aircraft". For that reason, I'm out!

That fact that they do jewellery, watches AND aircraft and boats makes me smile :)

• Haha 1

On 10/03/2019 at 14:01, JonnyOldBoy said:

On 15/03/2019 at 12:42, Chromejob said:

On 15/03/2019 at 13:21, JonnyOldBoy said:

Experience would dilute any skepticism.....Being skeptical of sellers honesty and being skeptical of the validity and use of asking a question are two entirely different matters.

Just happened to revisit ... and agree with you. The old "buy the seller, then the watch" applies when striking up a dialogue with the seller, inquiring about the history of the watch, reasons for selling. I think it applies more to private sales like on forums than the madcap bazaar that is is FleaBay, which rivals Mos Eisley spaceport as a wretched hive of scum and villainy. But on Ebay the "ask the seller a question" generally refers to the product on offer, not "hi, how're ya, what's the reason you're selling?" Because the answers are publicly posted on the auction description (by default, or mandatory?), I can understand some sellers declining to impart any information other than related to the sale item. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chromejob said:

I can understand some sellers declining to impart any information other than related to the sale item. 

Exactly... and I can't remember ever buying from one such seller.... taking the time to get a bit warmer to the seller has worked well for me on eBay. eBay should be a "community" and obviously its ideals and ethics have been polluted over the years but there are still some great sellers on there and I would never "take a punt" so to speak... :thumbsup: