• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Citizen Eco drive. Any thoughts on these please? I'm still a newbie and in the learning phase so no nothing about them. Any thoughts would be much appreciated thanks 1010540a9e35ab67d5516b91a3b46b0e.jpg

Sent from my PCT-L29 using Tapatalk

Never go wrong with an eco drive. Accurate, reliable, go forever (well not really but a lot longer than most). Quality is usually decent, the only thing that has stopped me buying more is I rarely see a Citizen I really like - I'm just not usually inspired with their designs so if you see one you do like go for it.

I believe that if the battery does need replacing it could  cost a small fortune  could be as much as £30 - £50 fitted 

The Eco-Drive is a fine watch, if that's the only watch you own and wear.

I'm over Eco-Drive completely. They're way too high maintenance for me. I say, if you've only got 5 or less watches, an Eco-Drive isn't a horrible thing.

I also say that if you've got or plan to have anything near double digits for a watch collection, you'll grow to loathe any Eco-Drives in it.

8 hours ago, JayDeep said:

The Eco-Drive is a fine watch, if that's the only watch you own and wear.

I'm over Eco-Drive completely. They're way too high maintenance for me. I say, if you've only got 5 or less watches, an Eco-Drive isn't a horrible thing.

I also say that if you've got or plan to have anything near double digits for a watch collection, you'll grow to loathe any Eco-Drives in it.

Eh? Got into 3 figures and I've no problem with my Eco Drives and high maintenance? really not. As long as you don't sling them into a box/drawer in the dark they'll run for years with no maintenance whatsoever. Get one with radio control and  you've got a proper zero maintenance pick up & put on watch for a decade or more.(However if you ever look at a Kinetic - all of the above!!)

9 hours ago, chocko said:

I believe that if the battery does need replacing it could  cost a small fortune  could be as much as £30 - £50 fitted 

Yes battery replacement is a lot more expensive than a standard one but it should need doing a lot less often and it's a drop in the ocean compared to a mechanical service.

Sorry but I just don’t get the high maintenance comment. Couldn’t be further from the truth in my experience of having owned about 10 of these at various times over the years. 

I love my Radio controlled Red Arrows. 

15 hours ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Eh? Got into 3 figures and I've no problem with my Eco Drives and high maintenance? really not. As long as you don't sling them into a box/drawer in the dark they'll run for years with no maintenance whatsoever. Get one with radio control and  you've got a proper zero maintenance pick up & put on watch for a decade or more.(However if you ever look at a Kinetic - all of the above!!)

Yes battery replacement is a lot more expensive than a standard one but it should need doing a lot less often and it's a drop in the ocean compared to a mechanical service.

Not my experience at all.

Previously, I had my watches out, atop an entertainment system near a window, the one Eco-Drive I had depleted within a few months, down to the double skipping seconds hand. It not only depletes fast but also requires way more sunlight than the claims you're making would suggest. I now store them in a drawer, because I don't like nice things being out in the open. I don't trust people that aren't family. So I avoid giving them the chance to prove me right about them, by keeping things hidden. It's not paranoid, it's just logical and practical. Besides, I'm an extremely and meticulously organized and orderly person. I don't like things "out", or exposed, unless that's their designed purpose, like a television or refrigerator. So I keep everything, otherwise, neatly tucked, folded, hung and hidden.

Anyway, I will credit my second and newest Eco-Drive. I've owned it now 3 months and it's been only worn maybe 3 times, all indoors, and otherwise in a drawer, still with a full charge! So maybe the technology has come further, or maybe, my other being radio controlled, it requires and uses less energy than the first. In any case, I prefer automatics in every instance and always.

Admire the brand hugely but yet to find one I like on my wrist.  Tried on a lightweight ion plated type finish one a couple of years back that was RRP £299 but but on sale at £149 everywhere for months and it soon became apparent why. It was terrible. Tried on a noisy aviation watch last year and it was fantastic.... great price.... great finish... lovely watch , just a tad too big for me. So for me yes a very decent brand but there are duffers in their line-up .... 

7 hours ago, JayDeep said:

Not my experience at all.

Previously, I had my watches out, atop an entertainment system near a window, the one Eco-Drive I had depleted within a few months, down to the double skipping seconds hand. It not only depletes fast but also requires way more sunlight than the claims you're making would suggest. I now store them in a drawer, because I don't like nice things being out in the open. I don't trust people that aren't family. So I avoid giving them the chance to prove me right about them, by keeping things hidden. It's not paranoid, it's just logical and practical. Besides, I'm an extremely and meticulously organized and orderly person. I don't like things "out", or exposed, unless that's their designed purpose, like a television or refrigerator. So I keep everything, otherwise, neatly tucked, folded, hung and hidden.

Anyway, I will credit my second and newest Eco-Drive. I've owned it now 3 months and it's been only worn maybe 3 times, all indoors, and otherwise in a drawer, still with a full charge! So maybe the technology has come further, or maybe, my other being radio controlled, it requires and uses less energy than the first. In any case, I prefer automatics in every instance and always.

It's solar powered! of course it needs sunlight! I've got 3 and since I keep them by the window no problem at all. My wife has another 3, keeps them in a glass top box on the window sill, no problem. My son has one which is radio control too, and being 14 he stores his... wherever he last put it down and that's still going strong. Think it's just you, casting an aura of darkness on it maybe?

4 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Admire the brand hugely but yet to find one I like on my wrist.  Tried on a lightweight ion plated type finish one a couple of years back that was RRP £299 but but on sale at £149 everywhere for months and it soon became apparent why. It was terrible. Tried on a noisy aviation watch last year and it was fantastic.... great price.... great finish... lovely watch , just a tad too big for me. So for me yes a very decent brand but there are duffers in their line-up .... 

My thoughts exactly, that's why I've only got 3:wink:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

It's solar powered! of course it needs sunlight! I've got 3 and since I keep them by the window no problem at all. My wife has another 3, keeps them in a glass top box on the window sill, no problem. My son has one which is radio control too, and being 14 he stores his... wherever he last put it down and that's still going strong. Think it's just you, casting an aura of darkness on it maybe?

Don't feed the forum troll. Every forum has that one individual whose a bit 'special', just allow it.

8 hours ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

My thoughts exactly, that's why I've only got 3:wink:

Yeah, I know, never said they don't need sunlight. I said they need too much, for me. I'm not willing to have watches all strung out about the place, some in boxes, some in my safe, some on a window sill, some on my wrist... Nope, organization is everything to me. So again, as I've already stated, they stay in a drawer. So yes, I'm casting darkness upon them, literally though, not figuratively. They're in a damn drawer. Lol

It's like you didn't even read what I wrote. Lol

29 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

Yeah, I know, never said they don't need sunlight. I said they need too much, for me. I'm not willing to have watches all strung out about the place, some in boxes, some in my safe, some on a window sill, some on my wrist... Nope, organization is everything to me. So again, as I've already stated, they stay in a drawer. So yes, I'm casting darkness upon them, literally though, not figuratively. They're in a damn drawer. Lol

It's like you didn't even read what I wrote. Lol

Ah, got it, you're a vampire! no wonder they never get any sun. Secret's out now Nosferatu!!:evil9kf:

...Damn, that's 999 posts. Better shut up & figure out what I'm gonna do to celebrate the next one.:clap:

• Haha 1

I suspect you don't have to keep these things ON the window sill, just exposed to sunlight/UV a bit during the day. I remember reading of people who replaced the Citizen (or was it Seiko) capacitors with compatible batteries, and their power reserve performance was much improved. 

But in a drawer, I'd expect them to go dead, and the capacitor even going bad after a few short years.