• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
pauluspaolo

Best digital watch

I've been wearing my cheap & cheerful Casio digital recently - partly because I like it & partly because I've been helping with some work we're having done on the kitchen & it tends to be the watch I wear for such duties.

Anyway it's got me thinking about high(ish) end/better quality digital watches & wondering what your recommendations would be? 

My hypothetical (maybe not depending on what suggestions come up) budget could be up to £100 but would, preferably, be a fair bit less than that. That probably rules out the Braun BN10 which is a watch I very much like the look of but having read, & watched, some online reviews I'm not too sure about now. 

A digital watch, to me, usually means a Casio or Timex, a fashion brand or the very cheap offerings (such as Skmei - however you pronounce it) that you find on ebay & Amazon. Also retro/simple works best for me so I'm not particularly bothered about having an altimeter, barometer, tide timetable etc etc.

Just curious to know what you'd go for :thumbs_up:

Edited by pauluspaolo

Simple answer for me is my G-Shock. Does everything I would ever need, looks good and is tough enough to do diy with it on, no problem..

zCGD328.jpg

• Like 3

A high end digital watch is much more than £100. G Shocks (premium models made in separate factories than lower end variants) range from £500-1000+ for the Frogman, Rangeman and MTG series. Then you have the likes of Omega and Breitling's offerings which are circa £5,000.

£100 is still a 'cheap' digital watch at the lower end of the spectrum. There is a huge difference between £100 Casio's and the £500 variants which is why they cost a lot more.

35 minutes ago, Igerswis said:

A high end digital watch is much more than £100. G Shocks (premium models made in separate factories than lower end variants) range from £500-1000+ for the Frogman, Rangeman and MTG series. Then you have the likes of Omega and Breitling's offerings which are circa £5,000.

£100 is still a 'cheap' digital watch at the lower end of the spectrum. There is a huge difference between £100 Casio's and the £500 variants which is why they cost a lot more.

I did say "high(ish)" & I know that the £500 Casio's are completely different to the lower priced variants. To many people on here - & to those outside the watch collecting world - £100 is a lot to pay for any sort of watch whether quartz or mechanical, digital or analogue. 

I was hoping for some different suggestions than Casio/G-Shock. I've owned G-Shocks in the past & find most of them too big apart from the 5600 shown above. I like these well enough but have already owned a couple so, as I say, was hoping for some different suggestions.

:)

23 minutes ago, pauluspaolo said:

I did say "high(ish)" & I know that the £500 Casio's are completely different to the lower priced variants. To many people on here - & to those outside the watch collecting world - £100 is a lot to pay for any sort of watch whether quartz or mechanical, digital or analogue. 

I was hoping for some different suggestions than Casio/G-Shock. I've owned G-Shocks in the past & find most of them too big apart from the 5600 shown above. I like these well enough but have already owned a couple so, as I say, was hoping for some different suggestions.

:)

My GShock was £100 second hand/mint condition, but I have owned a few Lorus sports chronos, for running that sort of thing. They held up very well to some rough treatment too. The decent 100m WR ones only come in at around £50.. a great buy :thumbsup:

Twenty odd quid and I believe at one point Argos were knocking them out for even less. 

po2w52vAj

I have a few G-Shocks as well which seem pretty indestructible for not a lot of money. 

poMkUISdj

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pauluspaolo said:

My suggestion would be to look at Nixon, they have got some interesting digitals that are a bit different: https://www.nixon.com/uk/en/mens-watches  I've got "The Unit" in black, which is nice, and comes fitted with the best strap I have ever seen:  https://www.nixon.com/uk/en/unit/A197.html?dwvar_A197_color=000&dwvar_A197_size=00#start=1  Alternatively, the Regulus looks pretty cool I think: https://www.nixon.com/uk/en/regulus/A1180.html?dwvar_A1180_size=00&dwvar_A1180_color=001   Or, if you want something completely bonkers, how about "The Dork" : https://www.nixon.com/uk/en/dork-too-talking-watch

:thumbs_up:

Thanks Davey :thumbs_up:

The Regulus is too big I think (but I like the look of it) - the Dork just doesn't appeal at all - whilst the Unit looks pretty good & I may have to have a look for one of those :) 

29 minutes ago, pauluspaolo said:

the Unit looks pretty good & I may have to have a look for one of those :) 

If you want to try it out in the flesh, I could send you mine for a trial if you like?  I need to fit a new battery cos I've just noticed it is dead, and I'll also refit the original strap (it's been "borrowed" by another watch) so it might take a couple of days to get round to posting it to you, but I'm happy to do it if that helps.

Mine is this one:

2013-04-11 10.30.25

It's not for sale, and it's not in mint condition (there are some small scratches around the outer edge of the bezel), but it might give you an idea of what they are like anyway.

Send me a PM if you're interested mate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pauluspaolo said:

was hoping for some different suggestions than Casio/G-Shock. I've owned G-Shocks in the past & find most of them too big apart from the 5600 shown above. I like these well enough but have already owned a couple so, as I say, was hoping for some different suggestions.

Pulsar are worth a look.

P5A030X1-l.png

P5A015X1-l.png

PQ2059X1-l.png

• Like 1

I picked up a complete set of super rare Casios with the practically unheard of Module 75. All in NOS condition and complete with paperwork. Thought I had hit the jackpot and had the Best Digital Watches ever. Within a year, however, every single one of them was playing up.

I have to agree with the G-Shock supporters. My GW-5000-1JF has been absolutely dependable and always spot-on accurate. It is pretty much the only watch I would bother grabbing come the apocalypse.

5 hours ago, enfuseeast said:

hey.....that first pic is @WRENCH s watch from today.... and his "jumper/shirt" from yesterday with "the cuffs tucked in".....whats going on @BondandBigM ....:)

I doubt if @WRENCH is strolling around the Scottish Highlands wearing an Armani dressing gown.

:whistle:

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

I doubt if @WRENCH is strolling around the Scottish Highlands wearing an Armani dressing gown.

:whistle:

Versace Silk Baroque, actually.

silk-baroque-robe_000000006065904001.jpg

You cheapskate. :laughing2dw:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I would love to get another one of these

w0296.jpg

in either Lorus or Seiko 

if it’s good enough for a shuttle mission it’s good enough for me 

just a shame I lost mine 20odd years ago :(

17 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Versace Silk Baroque, actually.

silk-baroque-robe_000000006065904001.jpg

You cheapskate. :laughing2dw:

2019-03-06_07-17-42

You were saying

Although Big M gave me one of her looks when I asked her where my Versace smoking jacket was. 

"Yer not sitting in that just to watch Corrie are you"

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

I asked her where my Versace smoking jacket was. 

Under your smoking cap, where it should be.

embroidered_smoking_cap_burgundy_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Not my sort of thing, to much of a Lord Knobber look. Or that daft Horsey bloke that used to be on the telly waving his arms around. 

On the other hand I don't mind a cap

2019-03-06_07-52-23

Big M is giving really funny looks now

"why are you wearing a cap" 

Random Bloke on the tinternet, conversation, pictures, you know the sort of thing. 

I can't print her reply 

:biggrin:

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

my gran would have called that a poof

i can see why. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

my gran would have called that a poof

i can see why. 

Oi ! :nono:

Pouffe.

• Thanks 1