UK Watch Forum banner

Movements without Calibers?

916 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Nucejoe 
#1 ·
If you have a movement, several in my case, which do not have the caliber, is there anyway of knowing say for instance, a Broken Balance Shaft, which one to obtain? or another way of finding which caliber it is

#4 ·
The shape of the Setting Lever Spring is like the watches " Fingerprint". The " Bestfit" catologues documents may of the old Calibres. By comparing your watch setting lever shape with pictures in the catologues, you can identify your watch.

Flume3 Has pictures of many movement front plates. Which is yet another way to identify a movement, if it has no numbers engraved on the movement plates. Offering pictures of the back of a movement seldom assist with ID.

Hope this helps.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ancient French measurement dating to about 18c when they used inches. From Wiki....

The standardized conversion for a ligne is 2.2558291 mm (1 mm = 0.443296 ligne),

An excellent reference library for identifying calibres is Ranfft. Has pictures of upside and downside and stem and balance staff details.

Only problem is ideally you need an idea of what you are looking for or you are faced with searching through many hundreds of pages. If it's vintage look for the common ones first like AS, FHF etc.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk

#9 ·
Vinn Caliber is basically known as movement, which most use latter nowadays.

Just ordered a Best Fit book, old one goes upto 1959 but as most watches predate that ii have should help. Annoying as Shop is about 7 mile from me but i can not leave house. :) just have to wait.
Hate to say this now you've ordered it but Bestfit Part 1 and Part 2 are available online for free download. Should be able to find the link with a google search. I don't want to put the links up in public because they are privately owned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.