• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Zoot

Old omega, issue.

I shall post findings on here. Great resource this forum- much appreciate the info & replies.

On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 10:40, Karrusel said:

Hi 

Sounds, from your description, that one of the 2 springs on the auto winding rotor has dislodged.  These cushion the auto winding rotor when it swings backwards & forwards. 

Your ‘boing’, commonly known as a bumper movement, is now being replaced with a harsher knocking sensation/noise.

Pictures of the dial side, back & movement will help us be more definitive.

If so you will need to get it looked at before the miscreant part gets lodged somewhere & creates further damage ?

:thumbsup:

i have an old Elgin pocket that runs and "boings"  what could cause that?  vin

Hi, Zoot. Have now seen your watch at my bench. It appears that someone in the past has taken the auto work to pieces and assembled it incorrectly. I offer you 2 options 1) take the auto work to pieces and assemble correctly £20

2) fully service the watch which includes resetting the rack on the auto winding. £240

Awaiting you advice.

Regards Simon.

ps. The telephone number you gave me is incorrect. Could you also give me your Email address.

53 minutes ago, simon2 said:

Hi, Zoot. Have now seen your watch at my bench. It appears that someone in the past has taken the auto work to pieces and assembled it incorrectly. I offer you 2 options 1) take the auto work to pieces and assemble correctly £20

2) fully service the watch which includes resetting the rack on the auto winding. £240

Awaiting you advice.

Regards Simon.

ps. The telephone number you gave me is incorrect. Could you also give me your Email address.

very good show !  i somtimes buy auto watches with a bad rotor or "bounce back" that will wind with the stem.   remove the auto mechinism and use the watch.  not somthing i would sell.   vin

On 07/05/2019 at 14:00, simon2 said:

Awaiting you advice.

Regards Simon.

@simon2 Back on board..

Replied via email/ yes to a full service. Let me know email received ok? will PM my tel no. thanks zoot.

Interesting is simon2's info on the bad bumper mech assembly: the mech, bar the spring dislodge, seemed to work fine before I sent it to Pragnell's for evaluation/ quote for service.. but no word on anything re. the bumper mech, in fact, they said 'nothing wrong with it, watch just needs a service'. Very odd: something obviously wrong with it, even from me not knowing what a bumper mech was. More strangeness followed, as when I rcvd it back (no work done- I couldn't afford their omega-certified-repairer's quote) the bumper mech A) felt different, not nearly as fluid, like weight was inhibited in its movement & the klonk not as apparant.. & B) it simply didn't work properly; it didn't power the watch as it did before wearing it, it kept running out of steam & stopping: before, even once the spring disloged, it worked without ever stopping.

Any thoughts chaps?