• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

[Rado] Hardly ever see these on here, what are the community's opinions on Rado watches?

PETER3456

I'm brand new to the watch owners community and to the subreddit as well. This is the first decent watch I will own and first automatic one as well. I received it as a gift from my in-laws yesterday and am a bit overwhelmed. I'm also interested what kind of caliber I am dealing with here. Rado doesn't seem very often discussed here. What are the general thoughts on the brand here? What about this particular style of watch?

I have to say I really love the clean style of it and the color. I don't like too many complications but really liked the idea of including a power reserve indicator.

• Like 1

Some excellent vintage models Voyager. Purple Horse Golden Castle The Captain Cook etc.  Of course as @relaxer7 says can be a minefield. Always found them decent quality if you steer away from the bling :laughing2dw: although there are some dodgy vintage bracelets out there with dubious heritage also.

The newer Swatch models look fairly good build quality in the price range from the ones I have handled although some of the quartz are a little pricey IMO.

Sadly hold there value like a Cadillac driving off the forecourt :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've always had a soft spot for their 'ceramica' dress watches, I'd really love one but they fall into that gap between 'bargain' and 'lust' that other wonderful brands like Longines, Oris and the like do (for me anyway) where the cost of one would be either 2 or 3 nice bargains or the deposit on a 'lust' watch at 0% interest - assuming the money saved to buy one hasn't been spent on some emergency or other :laugh:

I’ve heard them referred to as 'Indian Rolex's’ because they are very popular on that continent. A friend of mine has a tinted glass ceramic one and it was commented on several times by waiters when we were on a cruise a few years ago - they spotted it a mile off and were all over him! 

On 14/03/2019 at 21:32, WRENCH said:

I'd have this. :yes: 37mm.

r33522153_s.png

As would I, to the point that I did look at a couple of original vintage going on the bay recently.  When passing a Rado AD I often look to see if they have the 2017 37mm Captain Cook, but never seen one in stock.... much like a Rolex Sub :tongue:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, andyd30 said:

When passing a Rado AD I often look to see if they have the 2017 37mm Captain Cook, but never seen one in stock....

I've had them both on. The 45mm with the blue bezel is too much in your face for me, whereas the 37mm is just about right. Goes well with pyjamas too.

RadoCC-9.jpg?ixlib=rails-1.1.0&auto=form

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Funnily enough a girl that I am friendly with is thinking of buying a watch for her 40th, and she really likes Rado.    My gut reaction was "you are going to lose your money" because I know from pawnbroking them that they don't hold much value but as actually watches I quite like them (well the ceramic ones anyway) 

They are called the Indian Rolex because of their popularity on that continent, here they don't get much attention and aren't easy to sell but if you are going to keep it forever then meh who cares?

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I wanted a watch with better than basic Sellita SW200 or ETA 2824 automatic and found this with big discount and bought it.... so that's how my love for Rado started.
Rado Diamaster R14077136
ETA 2892-A2 elaboré movement, 41mm x 10mm, 47mm lug to lug, 100m WR, sapphire crystal, exhibition caseback.
Case is carbon diffused steel which is about four times harder than steel used in normal watch cases.
I think carburizing is the term in industry to this treatment and hardness of 800 Vickers is achieved.
Damasko uses similar technique in some of their watches.

Straps I use are Fluco genuine teju lizard straps.

5tOkIwr.jpg  CYzlapJ.jpg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Egsise said:

I wanted a watch with better than basic Sellita SW200 or ETA 2824 automatic and found this with big discount and bought it.... so that's how my love for Rado started.
Rado Diamaster R14077136
ETA 2892-A2 elaboré movement, 41mm x 10mm, 47mm lug to lug, 100m WR, sapphire crystal, exhibition caseback.
Case is carbon diffused steel which is about four times harder than steel used in normal watch cases.
I think carburizing is the term in industry to this treatment and hardness of 800 Vickers is achieved.
Damasko uses similar technique in some of their watches.

Straps I use are Fluco genuine teju lizard straps.

5tOkIwr.jpg  CYzlapJ.jpg

I love the watch but the strap would have to go

• Like 1

There were certainly built to last. My mother inlaws is around 50 years old, it had stop working, when she found out I was a watch nut she asked me to get it looked out. 1 quick service later all up and running again.

My Dad's Rado is going on 40+ years just sits in a box and a few shakes and it fires up as it should. Only real let downs are the quality of the braclets they didn't to handle the test of time.

Indian/African sub continent Rado's were tend to given as wedding presents.

Rado Autos are great watches if you get the usual 25% off... some striking and well finished pieces.

For me the brand is under achieving in that they are surely the brand that should have launched more classically styled yet contemporary dialled sports watches over the years. Given the marketing in the sports world etc etc.

Apart from their over marketing to jaunty Italian types I would suggest they are a decent brand indeed... :thumbsup: