• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Even though I am meant to be taking things very easy at the moment, as a dedicated watch nut I can't help but keep my hand in and look at what is going on in various parts of the watch market. This time, I have been perusing the Lorus.com website in order to find out exactly what watches they are currently producing, initially with a search for any classic rectangular cased examples. Lorus have good form when it comes to having rather classy-looking rectangular watches in their range and I was pleased to see that they are still offering two models - one with a date window and the other a timekeeper only -  each one with a variety of colourways/strap options. I was even more pleased when Kristina kindly purchased the blue dial/leather strap version for me after we spotted that Argos have just started selling this watch, initially at an excellent price of about £25. These analogue beauties, either with date or without, are all stainless steel and have 50 metres water resistance. There are versions with stainless steel wrap bracelets and leather straps.

The Lorus rectangular blue dial model RH911JX9 that I have just acquired (pics from loruswatches.com and thewatchhut.co.uk at cloudfront.net):

RH911JX9-l.png

100023358-2-1531835234-5563.jpg

Having briefly discussed the Lorus classical rectangular watches, I shall now move on to my main reason for telling you about my perusal of the Lorus website. While looking at the Sports watch category, I came across a really rather nice Lorus chronograph which came out last year but which still seems be bedding itself in. Indeed, one reason for looking at the website of a watch company is that you are, hopefully, shown those models in actual current production and in all the colourways/versions on offer. A problem with trawling through watch retailers' sites is that you may not actually see the full range of model versions/colourways available from the producer, and also, included in watches for sale will be those that are no longer current - sometimes by a few years. Of course, I am speaking here from the viewpoint of the researcher looking at current trends in watch design rather than as a potential customer looking for a variety of watches to choose from, included discounted models.

The chronograph watch in question, in what I would call its "primary form" - and certainly my favourite version - is designated as Model RT351GX9. In this version we have a black sunray dial and a stainless steel wrap bracelet; with other colourways available some have a colour-matched fabric strap rather than a stainless steel bracelet. Note that in the case of Lorus, each colourway/version of a model is given a different model number. Anyway, this chronograph model was introduced last year and it still seems to be bedding itself in; on Amazon UK, the version denoted above is available for sale at a price of £88.40. This chronograph is unashamedly retro in style and is an obvious homage to the European (especially Heuer) style of chronograph of the 1960s associated with motorsport. Many other watch companies have produced similar models looking back affectionately to these classic "racing" chronographs and I have no problem with Lorus doing the same, especially as the watch they have produced in this vein is very attractive and with plenty of different versions to cater for all tastes.

Lorus chronograph model RT351GX9 (pic from cdn.uhrcenter.de):

23184176270_1.jpg

The basic specifications of Lorus Model RT351GX9 and all its sibling varieties are a 44mm wide X 11mm thick stainless steel case, screw down steel back, flat mineral glass crystal, 100 metres water resistance, tachymeter bezel, date window, and chronograph functions down to sub-seconds. As far as the chronograph functions are concerned, I have not been able to find exactly how the chronograph is arranged with regard to fractions of a second because I do not have the caliber details. It may be that the sweep hand operates as the sub-seconds chronograph with the lower register showing running seconds.

More views of the Lorus RT351GX9 chronograph (pics in descending order from timeshop24.com, Insta Stalka on Instagram.com, and novotime.pl):

rt351gx9_side.jpg

Here we have the watch with a non-standard but effective leather strap:

46954170_284029965625951_801406063841377

pol_pl_ZEGAREK-MESKI-LORUS-RT351GX9-9669

When buying a Lorus wristwatch, the question of what is a sensible price cannot be separated from the position that Lorus occupies in the market place as a budget (quartz) brand. It is true that the link with Seiko gives a reputation boost to Lorus that, in my opinion, is well-justified, and some Lorus models are very good value for money. The chronograph discussed here is getting rather close to the £100 barrier, and its popularity may be awaiting the hands of discounters or sale prices. My preference would be for the model number given here above, and with its stainless steel bracelet this watch is a handsome addition to those watches one can wear without worrying too much about loss or damage.

I have not shown any of the alternative versions of this chronograph and this is really through lack of time/energy; plus it would make this topic unwieldy. I do recommend anyone thinking of buying a budget chronograph to take a good look at the Lorus.com website. I have been amazed at the variety of Lorus models on offer, some of which are very attractive and well specified. Lorus chronographs will be found among the main watch retailers, sometimes with considerable discounts. However, I reckon that not all the colourways and versions of any particular base model will be readily available, and certainly not at a discount. Indeed, I was surprised at the sheer variety of colourways/versions of the chronograph discussed here, some of which might be difficult to source in the general marketplace.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

That is a smart watch - I can overspend with the best of them, but I have been admiring quite a few Lorus watches lately, never put one on my wrist though - I anticipate something flimsy - but I will almost certainly look up one of these and test my prejudices.

• Like 2

nice honor thanks for taking the time & effort to do this , well I really like the rectangle one you got with a nice blue dial ( maybe the water resistance should be on the back not the dial on a dress watch)but dispute that it might be nice to have one !MMMMM

deano

Edited by deano1956
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for the positive reactions and posted comments. It's funny but I have never felt that the manner in which Lorus tends to boldly print the water resistance on the dials of many of its watches is particularly intrusive. I have always just considered it part of the branding characteristics of Lorus. Looking again at the rectangular watch, I suppose the water resistance could be more subtly put on the dial, but it doesn't put me off. Another point stated by Jonesinamillion is that the chronograph I highlighted would look good on a leather strap, and he doesn't like the stainless steel bracelet supplied with the watch. I myself do like the steel bracelet but I agree that this watch can take a good quality third party leather strap, as I indicated in one of my illustrations.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 15/03/2019 at 14:53, Always"watching" said:

Many thanks for the positive reactions and posted comments. It's funny but I have never felt that the manner in which Lorus tends to boldly print the water resistance on the dials of many of its watches is particularly intrusive. I have always just considered it part of the branding characteristics of Lorus. Looking again at the rectangular watch, I suppose the water resistance could be more subtly put on the dial, but it doesn't put me off. Another point stated by Jonesinamillion is that the chronograph I highlighted would look good on a leather strap, and he doesn't like the stainless steel bracelet supplied with the watch. I myself do like the steel bracelet but I agree that this watch can take a good quality third party leather strap, as I indicated in one of my illustrations.

You won't believe it but I found one of those chronographs on sale via Italy, and it should be here next week.  Not often reduced, I checked regularly since your post and this model has always been full price, notwithstanding some of the other colourways were on sale. 

I also have several spare 22mm straps, and of course others currently on watches that I can play strap-o-rama with, until I find the right one!

IMG_20201013_212227518(1).thumb.jpg.884b37269c8fbc8a2aecb4e0d14866c0.jpg

I may be being unfair to Lorus, but at full price I thought they were steep for the brand.  I will give you a review when it arrives!

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 2

As a Seiko chronograph nut I have had a good look at Lorus, and Pulsar.

I own Y182, and YM62 models mainly which are 7T32, and 7T62 models in a 'different jacket' and to be honest I can't fault them for the price.

I think Seiko allows Pulsar, and Lorus to spread their wings a little more creatively which has lead to some good, and some bad designs. I like their 2010 ish Fusion range which had some decent designs in the range.

I own a number of the 7T62-X105 as the case is an unusual shape, and the bracelet is decent for a budget watch. When I started collecting I would never have thought I would own the amount of Lorus, and Pulsar as I do, but I like odd/weird/wacky stuff.  

5caabe3200b59f3e547debc34074dfbd.jpg

Thanks for shining a light on a brand that doesn't get much love. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

the bracelet is decent for a budget watch

The chrono above comes on a folded link bracelet, so it will definitely get changed, I have a feeling the strap in the middle of my collection above will be ideal, looking at the lugs, but if not, it will be on the NATO left of picture.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

The chrono above comes on a folded link bracelet, so it will definitely get changed, I have a feeling the strap in the middle of my collection above will be ideal, looking at the lugs, but if not, it will be on the NATO left of picture.

Thats good we need nato see todays wruw

Nudge wink....

We have a hair flick ask @mcb2007

However rob seems currently miserable and locked down over monkey bridge give him a nudge jon. 

So here it is, from Bella Italia, it's a hunk of burning love!

IMG_20201015_173053668(1).thumb.jpg.2bdf52a963d48e793903619cc6e9e33e.jpg

I have not sized the bracelet yet, folded links and hollow end links drape off the lugs - the watch has a decent heft ...

IMG_20201015_172716147(1)(1).thumb.jpg.042c6a48f6c2a8fe2fb51f2245df5f23.jpg

I wondered how it might look on leather, it turns out the pins are right at the bottom of the lugs. Probably a tenth of a mil too low, even a fifth, for the end links.

IMG_20201015_175647373(1).thumb.jpg.61c8f03754fc6408382589e8c4caa922.jpg

So I tried a 'normal' strap, and the reflection off the case provides interest.

IMG_20201015_174649467(1)(1).thumb.jpg.42b0ac98d675e0cd4aa48666d0aa9e2f.jpg

But only half convinced by the amount of case showing, even though it does make the watch extra prominent in the wrist 

IMG_20201015_175008291(1)(1).thumb.jpg.065461bfc4c728e98540814be4a4bfc1.jpg

The underside of the case is chamfered at the lugs,

IMG_20201015_180130671(1).thumb.jpg.e6f1f910b8c8fb9ae78f269d93f2384d.jpg

so coupled with the low bar position you get a very short and easy path for a NATO.

IMG_20201015_180510720(1)(1).thumb.jpg.e4a9791bee2068711fd9be7bdb50c374.jpg

I'll probably put it on this nylon if I feel particularly sporty!

IMG_20201015_181354225(1)(1)(1).thumb.jpg.83d0c6a5dec91c779f0bcab0c5555323.jpg

I like the reflection off the case even more, there's a shared space between the angular case and the organic strap in that reflection between the lugs, so they don't just crash into each other.

AOB:

44mm stainless case.

Seiko movement Cal. VD53

Running centre seconds.

Pushers don't 'click'.

Lume OK but not Seiko special.

Second hand hits the indices pretty well, inevitable misses occasionally with a quartz.

I can read the date but I think it's unnecessary.

100m WR with normal crown.

Screw back.

Very cool.

Like me.

Thanks for @Always"watching" and spotting these!

:thumbs_up:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice and you took me back with the 'burning love' to my dads daimler sov 4.2 when i was 14. Loved that car. Nice watch too. Its just the watch doesnt have a casette player. Used to listen to this sat int daimler in the garage in Barrowford.

You cant beat the king

• Like 1