• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
andyclient

seiko crystal pic heavy

Just playing around and thought i'd share , got this old Seiko with a badly scratched crystal , so thought i'd have a play and share the results.
Would normally use masking tape on the case or remove the crystal , but this was just an old scrapper so didn't bother on this occasion 
Pic 1 showing the deeply scratched crystal , probably scrapped a wall around the 10-11 mark

Crystal

Pic 2 : Starting to get down to bottom of deepest scratch with 800 grit wetland dry

Crystal

Pic 3: Pretty much there now

Crystal

Pic 4: Now change to 1200 grit wet and dry

Crystal

Pic 5: Finish off with polywatch

Crystal

Crystal

Edited by andyclient
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Just bought some polywatch as I have managed to scratch two crystals just lately.

Thanks for the post as I now know what to try :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good result and informative series

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I strongly suggest using masking tape or something like that to cover the case. It's very hard NOT to scratch it when you're polishing the crystal and the sandpaper will definitely leave marks. :)

Good thing stainless steel cases can be polished. Gold plated ones, that's a different story. :(

Good result.

Edited by gimli
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, gimli said:

I strongly suggest using masking tape or something like that to cover the case. It's very hard NOT to scratch it when you're polishing the crystal and the sandpaper will definitely leave marks. :)

Good thing stainless steel cases can be polished. Gold plated ones, that's a different story. :(

Good result.

Many thanks, Agree completely I did mention this in original post , as below 

6 hours ago, andyclient said:

Would normally use masking tape on the case or remove the crystal , but this was just an old scrapper so didn't bother on this occasion 

Edited by andyclient

@andyclient ..... am presuming crystal on your old seiko is acrylic?.....would same technique work on mineral?...think i read an article on TWF suggesting it can be done but needs more elbow grease?

• Thanks 1

With mineral glass it's more complicated and I think you need one of those hand tools or a professional polishing machine to do it. I don't think that there are many people that have polished mineral glass.

You can use sandpaper on it like you would on acrylic but you cannot use the abrasive substances that work on acrylic. Glass is simply much stronger than acrylic and won't polish that easily.

Edited by gimli
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, enfuseeast said:

@andyclient ..... am presuming crystal on your old seiko is acrylic?.....would same technique work on mineral?...think i read an article on TWF suggesting it can be done but needs more elbow grease?

Yes it is acrylic , mineral can be done i believe but by using special compounds , I pretty sure @scottswatches did one using a kit made by polywatch

• Thanks 1

Just now, andyclient said:

Yes it is acrylic , mineral can be done i believe but by using special compounds , I pretty sure @scottswatches did one using a kit made by polywatch

I got a new box today and was just doing it, as the square crystal I was polishing was hard to get hold of.  It is not perfect, and it is hard work.  Better to get a new crystal tbh

(And it doesn't work on Sapphire either)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1