UK Watch Forum banner

Seiko mods

6K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  UnfrozenCaveman 
#1 ·
So I'm at the stage where I really want to start getting into modding watches and creating really unique and personal stuff. I've yet to try anything, however have ordered a cheap Russian piece and am planning a bezel swap to start with.

I've also just ordered a modded watch from a guy in the US who's got a cool business model that I really liked. He does some modding and offers parts just like many others, but unlike the rest, he does it with refurbished timepieces, which keeps costs down. He offers new parts should you wish, and you can create your own unique watch with a couple of offerings he has on his site, Mad Mod World. I'm guessing, him being in the US, none of you have tried him.

Here's a peak at what I ordered, except I opted for snowflake hands and GMT bezel. It's basically a Batman homage, but since I loathe Mercedes hands I asked him to swap it with snowflake for me, which he was glad to do. Has new double domed Sapphire, new NH35 movement, coming in refurbished case and oyster bracelet for $329.
large.double-1.jpg.fc0ad1bcae937a299555be99127915a2.jpg

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks good. :)

Be sure to check the movement when it arrives to make sure you're getting what's advertised. There are lot of SKX modders offering movement swaps for the NH35 but some were using cheaper movements instead. Since the SKX doesn't have a display caseback it can be hard to spot if an alternative movement has been used.

#7 ·
Looks good. :)

Be sure to check the movement when it arrives to make sure you're getting what's advertised. There are lot of SKX modders offering movement swaps for the NH35 but some were using cheaper movements instead. Since the SKX doesn't have a display caseback it can be hard to spot if an alternative movement has been used.
Not bad advice. And an easy thing to spot quickly. I will do just that.

#5 ·
I went through a few financial issues over the last year and culled all of my high end watches, my focus then moved to quality vfm pieces... Since I started tinkering with SKX'S I can hand on heart say those watches I've modded myself have given me more pleasure and satisfaction then any of the big names I previously owned. Plus I never feel guilty about owning lower priced watches and don't feel the constant need to justify such a pricey purchase anymore.

Go for it! It's well worth it and ever so slightly addictive.

#6 ·
The only advice I can give is this (this comes from my own past experience ) you will buy a modded watch and then do research on how to mod yourself and eventually you will create your own modded watch and be happy with it .. and then you will think hang on I can do better so you will mod another and the cycle begins :)

Great watch purchase BTW I also detest Merc handsets so great choice with the snowflake :thumbsup:

#14 ·
I'm sure you'll have a great time experimenting, Jay....at least parts are cheap and Seikos are relatively easy to work on. Looking forward to seeing some unique pieces. :thumbsup:

Reactions: JayDeep
#19 ·
As stated above, be careful of scope creep!

This project is getting a little out of hand - I'm waiting for a black kanji day wheel and I'm plucking up the courage to get the recently arrived solid caseback engraved.

I don't even think I'll wear it, it's like an exhibition piece and it's been tonnes of fun to research and put together.

hVkYYPT.jpg

VDA669i.jpg

M4jk0DS.jpg

#20 ·
As stated above, be careful of scope creep!

This project is getting a little out of hand - I'm waiting for a black kanji day wheel and I'm plucking up the courage to get the recently arrived solid caseback engraved.

I don't even think I'll wear it, it's like an exhibition piece and it's been tonnes of fun to research and put together.

hVkYYPT.jpg

VDA669i.jpg

M4jk0DS.jpg
That's a fine looking piece right there! Who did you use for the case back? And how have you found the quality?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.