• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
MIKE

Aren't Some Forums Miserable!!!

Hi,

I went on another (non-watch) forum for the first time, having really only experienceing RLT and the odd post on the other watch forums, seeking some information on an old radio set.

I posted the relevent question in the relevent forum. Got just one reply in 24hrs which gave me the info.

In my post I thought it polite to include a bit about myself, as we see here when someone "firstposts"

Anyway my only reply also reminded me I was not in the right forum to post the bit about myself and would be wise to stick to the topics as per forum title :o

I thought it was a bit petty and not the kind of welcome we give our "newbies"

Don't think they would get on very well here and it makes you apreciate :rltb: where topics can go off in any direction :lol: and be none the worst for it :P

Mike

I think you're absolutely right Mike. Some forums are very chilly and not just watch forums. I'm a member of the PCLinuxOS forum and they are very much like we are here, a great group of helpful, friendly people.

I don't contribute to many .... but do browse most of the well known watch forums.

In my opinion I believe RLT is the most welcoming of all the fora.

It's a good mix of watches and off-topic subjects and a good place to hang about.

Try going on MWR and asking a stupid question!

Fire proof suit might be advisable! :ph34r:

I've heard that but not experienced it. I don't think of the military and a wrist watch in the same terms as some might. :lol:

But, I'm not going to there..... I may say something that would offend those that think military life is something it is not, in reality. ;)

OK, some people sell "military" watches to armchair warriors and good luck to them. :lol:

I suspect most military personnel took little interest in the watch they wore other than it told them the time properly.

Most of the time they were more interested in their ability to survive the conflict. ;)

Fire proof suit might be advisable! :ph34r:

I've heard that but not experienced it. I don't think of the military and a wrist watch in the same terms as some might. :lol:

But, I'm not going to there..... I may say something that would offend those that think military life is something it is not, in reality. ;)

OK, some people sell "military" watches to armchair warriors and good luck to them. :lol:

I suspect most military personnel took little interest in the watch they wore other than it told them the time properly.

Most of the time they were more interested in their ability to survive the conflict. ;)

Hi,

I went on another (non-watch) forum for the first time, having really only experienceing RLT and the odd post on the other watch forums, seeking some information on an old radio set.

I posted the relevent question in the relevent forum. Got just one reply in 24hrs which gave me the info.

In my post I thought it polite to include a bit about myself, as we see here when someone "firstposts"

Anyway my only reply also reminded me I was not in the right forum to post the bit about myself and would be wise to stick to the topics as per forum title :o

I thought it was a bit petty and not the kind of welcome we give our "newbies"

Don't think they would get on very well here and it makes you apreciate :rltb: where topics can go off in any direction :lol: and be none the worst for it :P

Mike

Hi Mike, Stan Et All ,

Long time since Ive been here .Ive been making some new loudspeakers for the living room and have been dancing around on the hi-fi and audio forums asking awkward questions -- Some of the people who can hear the differences between capacitors or pieces of wire can get quite funny if you play the old Kings New Clothes bit. WELL I ONLY ASKED

Hope your all keeping well.

Bill T.

pg tips Posted Yesterday, 11:50 PM

Fire proof suit might be advisable

:lol::lol: Reminds me of which when I was selling my titanium LandMaster a few weeks back on MWR, I put an ad there selling for US$1,300 (new watch price US$1,550) and someone posted whether I'd be supplying drugs with the watch I was selling :( . Apparently to his little mind I was mad or something probably for asking that much for a Seiko! :huh: The moderators took care of him so kudos to them. :)

Being still a newbie really ;) I also would agree that the RLT experience is definitely something good, I will admit to asking the odd silly question myself but I always get an answer in the end as well as the friendly bit of banter along the way. :)

I've been to other watch forums and have read other peoples post and the responding replies, some of them a tad to harsh I have to say. Which doesn't make it a friendly place to post myself. :(

The other reason for staying here is the great place to discuss watches along with other forum members and not forgetting our host as well :rltb:

I had the same welcome on a photography forum , I introduced myself nicely, explained what I had and what I was trying to do and then asked a question...

The one reply said I was in the wrong sub forum :( There were about 25 of the buggers!! :lol:

:huh: Just had a quick look and I have to admit I know more about watches than I do with anything on this forum :lol:

"Apolgies about going off topic just thought it would be polite to introduce myself properly in my first post.

Mike"

"It would be more polite to check the rules first and post in the appropriate places that would really impress us"

At the top in blue is a quote lifted from my reply, thanking the chap who replied to my post.

Underneath in red is the next and only post from the forums "Super Moderator" no less :o

Don't think I will be bothering in future :bb:

How come we don't have "Super Moderators" :huh:

Mike

How come we don't have "Super Moderators"

You do Mike, Im lovely :D

Jason is our deluded moderator!

I'll leave you to your own opinions about the others :lol:

Hi Mike, Stan Et All ,

Long time since Ive been here .Ive been making some new loudspeakers for the living room and have been dancing around on the hi-fi and audio forums asking awkward questions -- Some of the people who can hear the differences between capacitors or pieces of wire can get quite funny if you play the old Kings New Clothes bit. WELL I ONLY ASKED

Bill T.

I`ve come across them, very strange people, HI FI nuts can be seriously weird :wacko:

Thank heavens we`re all sensible watch collectors here :blink::rofl2:

Hi Mike, Stan Et All ,

Bill T.

I`ve come across them, very strange people, HI FI nuts can be seriously weird :wacko:

Some HI FI nuts resort to quackery and the supernatural to tweak their systems.

I remember one man selling pyramids which you placed over your turntable :o .

The green felt tip applied around the edge of c.d. was a cheaper sound improving option ;) .

We'll skip over Mac's application of black marker pen to his Vostoks shall we ;) :lol: .

quackery

I like that word, can describe a lot of peoples self professed theories

ps I won't mention guitar forums

Hi Mike, Stan Et All ,

Bill T.

The green felt tip applied around the edge of c.d. was a cheaper sound improving option ;) .

We'll skip over Mac's application of black marker pen to his Vostoks shall we ;) :lol: .

Ahh yes, I remember those days:

"Top Tips" included placing a sheet of A4 paper under one of the front feet of your Linn Sondek LP12 turntable and, for all types of equipment, polishing the pins of the mains plugs with duraglit. Even I fell for that one :ph34r:

Hi Mike, Stan Et All ,

Bill T.

Ahh yes, I remember those days:

"Top Tips" included placing a sheet of A4 paper under one of the front feet of your Linn Sondek LP12 turntable and, for all types of equipment, polishing the pins of the mains plugs with duraglit. Even I fell for that one :ph34r:

These anecdotes are great maybe someone should collect them NOT me I,m too busy with my LO-FI

Hi Mike, Stan Et All ,

Bill T.

I`ll have you know that since using the black marker the Vostok is now accurate to Atomic Clock Standards

and is capable of withstanding the Challeger Deep in the Mariana Trench at 10897m. :P

BTW regarding Hi FI tweaks, I remember one `guru` who claimed an improvement in sound quality by only having an equal number of CD`s in a room and also having two identical photo`s of yourself, one in the listening room and the other in a plastic bag in your freezer, I kid you not, also there is a theory that you can improve the sound of your CD`s by freezing them :blink:

Edited by mach 0.0013137

the bit about freezing cd's is apparently fact based tho you have to freeze to about -300f ,so popping them in the house freezer aint an option :D

http://www.stereophile.com/asweseeit/822/

the only thing that goes in my freezer for fast improvement is Chardonnay

Fair enough, trouble is I`ve heard so many bizzare Hi Fi `tweaks` over the years it is difficult to work out which are real and which are just cloud cookoo land :wacko:

BTW I did have special Audio Note K1 valve amplifer made after discussion with the designer which had higher quality caps and resisters plus solid silver wiring through out :P