• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Help me choose my next watch

Hi guys. I've recently developed a full blown watch obsession and whilst i have been reading/researching on the net, i have to admit i could do with some help. 

I currently own several quartz and one automatic (fossil), not including my jaeger vintage pocket watch. 

My next buy i wanted to be a swiss made automatic. I've picked out 4 and wanted to know people's thoughts on these watches and if they are worth the money. 

1 - tossot pr100 powermatic 80, blue dial. £475. I recently saw the quartz version and it didnt feel as heavy or as nice as i thought it would for the price (i have a £200 diesel that feels loads better) 

2 - TAG HEUER CARRERA CALIBRE 5 MENS 41MM AUTOMATIC DAY-DATE WATCH - blue dial. Looks really nice, but £2000 for a tag? Which made me think of number 3

3 - omega, de ville, blue dial £2550. But only 3atm for the price puts me off. 

3/a - omega seamaster aqua terra blue dial £4000. Love this watch but i can by a rolex for similar price (what do i do) 

4 - rolex oyster perpetual £4300, chanoagne coloured dial. 

I wanted the watch to look dress smart and that ruled out omega seamaster for me which was £2500.

Cliffs, which watch is best value for money, best investment, best build etc, looks best? 

Tissot

Tag

Omega de ville

Omega seamaster

Rolex

Thanks

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you buy the Rolex then you will probably pay close to £500 when you have it serviced and that is more than the cost of the Tissot - so if the Rolex needs a service after 10 years then you could aff

I would also add that there are many micro-brands that offer Swiss Automatic movements and a great specification and design for a fraction of the price of some of the ones you’ve mentioned.   My nex

Known as Tossit in Burnley working mens clubs.  @mcb2007

If you buy the Rolex then you will probably pay close to £500 when you have it serviced and that is more than the cost of the Tissot - so if the Rolex needs a service after 10 years then you could afford to throw away the Tissot and buy a new one. The Rolex might hold value better but you have little to lose with the Tissot. Makes value for money very much a personal decision.

For a Tag, I would only buy from one of their outlet stores where you would expect up to 40% off rrp.

Which looks best - very much an individual choice - go for what you like as no one else can choose for you.

• Like 3

From those four choices I would have to say the Rolex all day long. It's a fantastic watch.... and unlike most of their models, its actually available to buy so I would say buy and enjoy ... for decades... 

The Omega De Ville is a different beast and more classical and less of an all-rounder.

The Omega AT is nice but the latest bracelets in my opinion are too "fairground" ... so either buy nearly new 2016-ish or avoid.

I have actually tried on the Champagne Oyster Pep about 4 months ago.. the colour did not work for me but the watch is almost perfect.....

• Like 2
Just now, JayDeep said:

I'm a Tissot fan here, mostly because I'm a bang for buck kind of guy. None of the others offer that at all or even close to something resembling it.

Known as Tossit in Burnley working mens clubs. 

Image result for burnley miners club brawl

@mcb2007

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks for your input guys :) it is much appreciated. 

13 hours ago, richy176 said:

For a Tag, I would only buy from one of their outlet stores where you would expect up to 40% off rrp.

How do i go about getting this? I looked at their online store and the price is the same. Is it a case of haggling (which I'm happy to do lol) at their store in person? Will they really go as low as 40% off? 

Cheers

I've got a Hamilton with the powermatic 80 movement in, and can confirm that it's... Well... It's an alright movement. Accuracy after a month is about +10s though which is within bounds I guess (was +2 for a week when I first bought it, was delighted! Sadly it settled a little faster) and the power reserve is vast obviously.

On the other hand it's not going to come close to a Rolex, for example. Personally I would consider picking up something in the sub-500 range and living with it for a bit before spunking the price of a 2-bed house in Leeds on a Rolex or Omega.

Alternatively, get down an AD, wear your Sunday best, and try some watches on.

1 hour ago, JayJay23 said:

How do i go about getting this? I looked at their online store and the price is the same. Is it a case of haggling (which I'm happy to do lol) at their store in person? Will they really go as low as 40% off? 

Cheers

Do an internet search for tag outlet stores and see if there is one near you. All the watches are marked down as they are usually discontinued models but sold with full manufacturer warranty.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, JayJay23 said:

Cheers

JayJay - not sure where you are basedbut there’s a TAG Store at Cheshire Oaks outlet village near Ellesmere Port. Apologies if that’s too far away 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

@JayJay23 if the Rolex is on your list, the chances are it will remain there. If you're comfortable with the service cost, then go for it, that would be my decision anyway. Good luck. :thumbsup:

And to add, if you get a Rolex that wears well and you like the look of, it's unlikely you'll ever be disappointed with the watch - I've only ever handled a few in the flesh but they really are quite spectacular as far as gentlemen's wrist-bling goes. The cost of ownership is another matter obviously.

The Tissot you may find you 'outgrow' if you want to maintain a small collection, and the Tag (which i'd been told, and some more smartererest members may be able to correct me if i'm wrong, depreciates like crazy) may leave you wishing you'd spent an extra few grand i the long run.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Yanto said:

JayJay - not sure where you are basedbut there’s a TAG Store at Cheshire Oaks outlet village near Ellesmere Port. Apologies if that’s too far away 

I live near sheffield and i believe there's one nearby in meadow hall, i will probably take a look. 

A rolex would be amazing but i dont think I'm quite there yet... Unless i can wait a year or so before i buy one haha

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 24/03/2019 at 16:19, JayJay23 said:

Hi guys. I've recently developed a full blown watch obsession and whilst i have been reading/researching on the net, i have to admit i could do with some help. 

I currently own several quartz and one automatic (fossil), not including my jaeger vintage pocket watch. 

My next buy i wanted to be a swiss made automatic. I've picked out 4 and wanted to know people's thoughts on these watches and if they are worth the money. 

1 - tossot pr100 powermatic 80, blue dial. £475. I recently saw the quartz version and it didnt feel as heavy or as nice as i thought it would for the price (i have a £200 diesel that feels loads better) 

2 - TAG HEUER CARRERA CALIBRE 5 MENS 41MM AUTOMATIC DAY-DATE WATCH - blue dial. Looks really nice, but £2000 for a tag? Which made me think of number 3

3 - omega, de ville, blue dial £2550. But only 3atm for the price puts me off. 

3/a - omega seamaster aqua terra blue dial £4000. Love this watch but i can by a rolex for similar price (what do i do) 

4 - rolex oyster perpetual £4300, chanoagne coloured dial. 

Tissot

Tag

Omega de ville

Omega seamaster

Rolex

Thanks

Hi guys, just an update:

I went to goldsmiths and tried all but the rolex on. I ended up buying the tag, they offered me 10% off if i bought it outright. Here's how i felt for those interested. 

The tissot felt cheap, wasnt keen on the design or the bracelet. Wife wasn't keen either

The tag just spoke to me. Love the weight/balance/feel of this watch. Size, everything. I have no regrets having bought it. And i love the simplicity of the design. 

The omega de ville was a beauty, but felt small and very smart - didnt think i pull it off on casual wear. 

The omega aqua terra, was another beauty, but i wasnt keen on the hands (i liked the older version of this watch). 

By the time i looked at the rolex i had already set my heart on the tag so couldn't really comment too much on it, other than it looked like a beautiful watch. 

I decided the tag, its at a price i can afford, whereas if i bought the rolex or omega de terra id be conscious that i could have paid to have lasik eye surgery (my next big buy one day). 

Maybe a rolex or omega one day but not right now. 

• Like 2

Damn I was going to suggest a Breitling superocean Heritage on the mesh bracelet. A total do anything watch (in my opinion ) that works with board shorts by the pool as well as it does with a suit in the board room.
Tag Heuer are a decent but under appreciated marque with a great history of innovation and quality. Resale isn’t great (neither is the Breitling) but I’m of the opinion that you should buy what you like after careful consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
Damn I was going to suggest a Breitling superocean Heritage on the mesh bracelet. A total do anything watch (in my opinion ) that works with board shorts by the pool as well as it does with a suit in the board room.
Tag Heuer are a decent but under appreciated marque with a great history of innovation and quality. Resale isn’t great (neither is the Breitling) but I’m of the opinion that you should buy what you like after careful consideration.

Totally agree. But what you like, not what you can sell it for. I’ve had my tag for a few years now and I love it and would never part with it. Great watch and oozes quality.

• Like 1

Cancel almost all of the watches and beans you're thinking. They're all overpriced *****! And that's being extremely kind.

With exception of these...

Tissot

Hamilton

Certina

Epos

I really wish you would drop the ridiculous need for "Swiss" made. Japanese offers much better for much better price. If I wasn't so drink I could come up with a plan least a dozen other brands that would fit the bill.