• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
RoddyJB

Wanted: Case back for 1968 Omega Seamaster Chronograph

1968 Omega Seamaster Chronograph case back needed - I just need the back itself - Case reference no. 145.016.68

• Like 1

I would save a search for one on eBay, that way they notify you if anything comes up. I have seen them turn up on there before, worth a look 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RoddyJB said:

1968 Omega Seamaster Chronograph case back needed - I just need the back itself - Case reference no. 145.016.68

is it because there is engraving on the existing back?   if so, and you find a re placement,   save the original,  it might be history.  vin

• Like 1

8 hours ago, andyclient said:

I would save a search for one on eBay, that way they notify you if anything comes up. I have seen them turn up on there before, worth a look 

Search already saved Andy, thanks.

2 hours ago, vinn said:

is it because there is engraving on the existing back?   if so, and you find a re placement,   save the original,  it might be history.  vin

Nothing on the back that I know of Vinn, the old watchmaker just can't find the case back...:huh:

55 minutes ago, RoddyJB said:

Search already saved Andy, thanks.

Nothing on the back that I know of Vinn, the old watchmaker just can't find the case back...:huh:

he lost your case back?   you got him by the short hairs.  vin

No, he is a retired watchmaker, the watch was sitting in a container on his bench for years. 

I saw it & asked him about it & he decided to finally service it last month.  Unfortunately, now can't find the case back. :huh:

I did buy the watch a few months ago despite it missing the case back.

I ended up back at the same retired watchmaker's yesterday, while he was looking at a watch for me, I had a look around.  Low & behold, I spotted the case back in a small box with some other parts.  My watch is whole now. :yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RoddyJB said:

DSC0843.jpgDSC0841.jpg

i really like that, not seen a seamaster chrono before, much more interesting than the speedy, case looks like a sonic? Well done in finding the back, stroke of luck. Looks fab on that bracelet with clasp. Original? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

i really like that, not seen a seamaster chrono before, much more interesting than the speedy, case looks like a sonic? Well done in finding the back, stroke of luck. Looks fab on that bracelet with clasp. Original? 

That's how I got it from the watchmaker.  It had been set aside in his bench for years. 

I spotted it one day when buying something else and expressed an interest.  He finally got around to servicing it about 3-4 months ago and let me know that it was serviced but he couldn't find the back.  I decided to buy it anyway and started looking for a back but was sure happy to find the original.  I am/was assuming the bracelet to be original but certainly am not certain.  I'll ask him the next time I see him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RoddyJB said:

That's how I got it from the watchmaker.  It had been set aside in his bench for years. 

I spotted it one day when buying something else and expressed an interest.  He finally got around to servicing it about 3-4 months ago and let me know that it was serviced but he couldn't find the back.  I decided to buy it anyway and started looking for a back but was sure happy to find the original.  I am/was assuming the bracelet to be original but certainly am not certain.  I'll ask him the next time I see him.

thanks, it may well all be original ive never seen one before @scottswatches might beable to provide more info, anyway its very nice!

I need to find a link for it as well, it's just a tad snug.:huh:

I'm looking at it & have started thinking this is likely not the original bracelet.  :huh:  The end links are straight across but the case is slightly curved between the lugs. 

Dang, now a new hunt will have to be started for something more apropos. :(

Edited by RoddyJB

In answer to your earlier query Nigelp.. this is 100% in no way the original bracelet.  I was just looking straight down at it earlier, excited to finally get to wear it.

The first time I looked at it from the side I knew immediately it was not.  

I have never seen that bracelet before, but similar ones (non omega as you say).  If you like it on that bracelet then you can get bracelet clasp extenders.

Brave buy without a caseback, but really pleased for you that it paid off

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scottswatches said:

I have never seen that bracelet before, but similar ones (non omega as you say).  If you like it on that bracelet then you can get bracelet clasp extenders.

Brave buy without a caseback, but really pleased for you that it paid off

It wasn't really a "brave buy" at what I got it for, even sans caseback....

Definitely need a different bracelet though, or at least different end-links.  This bracelet looks okay straight down but from the side it is clearly wrong... 

DSC0844.jpg

A great looking watch, completely ruined by a horrible bracelet :(  You might like to consider one of Roy's rally style straps, which would compliment it nicely I think:

https://rltwatches.co.uk/home/81-81-black-rally-leather-strap.html#/28-lug_size-18mm

or the perforated black leather would be another good option:

https://rltwatches.co.uk/home/82-84-black-racing-calf-leather-strap.html#/28-lug_size-18mm

Whatever you decide to go with, it will look awesome mate, well done and I'm glad it all worked out for you in the end with the case back :thumbs_up:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davey P said:

A great looking watch, completely ruined by a horrible bracelet :(  You might like to consider one of Roy's rally style straps, which would compliment it nicely I think

Whatever you decide to go with, it will look awesome mate, well done and I'm glad it all worked out for you in the end with the case back :thumbs_up:

Thanks Davie,

The issue with other bracelets/straps is that they will mostly all sit where this one does and still leave that large flat wall of a gap above.  :(

DSC0845.jpg

My seamaster chrono on a rally strap 

Omega

14 hours ago, Davey P said:

A great looking watch, completely ruined by a horrible bracelet :(  You might like to consider one of Roy's rally style straps, which would compliment it nicely I think:

https://rltwatches.co.uk/home/81-81-black-rally-leather-strap.html#/28-lug_size-18mm

https://rltwatches.co.uk/home/82-84-black-racing-calf-leather-strap.html#/28-lug_size-18mm

• Like 1

That ^ is exactly how I imagined it would look.  Much better than the ill fitting bracelet, and the style is sympathetic to the retro watch design, plus the thickness of the leather fills in the curved case shape perfectly :thumbs_up:

• Like 2

Looking a little better today  andyclient Davey P Nigelp & scottswatches....

Not an Omega bracelet, the search is on for one, but I think it looks better.  The wall doesn't seem to look so pronounced but there you have it....

DSC0847.jpgDSC0846.jpg

Edited by RoddyJB