• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
JParson

19 year old Tissot Powermatic Autoquartz

Greeting!

Here's the backstory - I bought a Tissot Powermatic in Switzerland in 2000. It ran great for five years then just stopped. I took it to the only local Authorized shop that I could find in at the time and they said the gaskets needed replaced and quoted me $233.00. That wasn't in the budget at the time so I put the watch away planning on getting a second opinion. Not long after that, we moved and the watch got misplaced. We moved two more times and I just found it again last summer.

I dropped it off at a different shop and they called and said the capacitor is likely bad and it would be $100 to replace, if that is the actual problem - they did not open it up as far as I know. As I understand it the capacitor/battery is only good for about five years and will need to be replaced again.

So here's the question, which would the community suggest?

1. Pay the $100 and plan on doing that again in five years
2. Keep looking to see if I can find someone cheaper or get the tools to do it myself
3. Put it on eBay and see what I can get for it

I wore it everywhere so the case and bracelet are pretty worn, but the crystal is perfect.

What say y'all?

Might be flat battery? Not sure on that watch. Battery lasts roughly five years in most cases. But prices seem well over the top you got quoted without knowing actual fault. Hopefully an expert will help you Simon2 our forum repair shop, should be able to advice you if no one else

A bit fiddlly to do yourself, as the capacitor is deep in the module under the auto work. Best left to an expert. £50 would be a fair price. The caseback gasket is reasonably cheap. Here if you need anymore help.

True, I can see the capacitor and there are some other bits that would need to be moved first. I'd give £50/$65 to have it done if I could find the right shop. Now if the module needs replaced since it's nearly 20 years old, that could change the equation.