• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I knew nothing about Russian watches, until I started thinking about having something from when I was born, and I was into the space race, not paying those $$$ for a Speedy, so came across the Strela clan.  And I bought a nice one, possibly paid top whack, but it ticked my boxes - crystal not the best I've seen, and the chrono can be sluggish to start - guessing it needs a service as running the chrono slows it down.  Anyhow - this is my point.  If I don't use the stopwatch (and I don't) it keeps good time.  And I now have 5 Russian watches, I keep them on display, so if they showed different times, that would really annoy me, but they don't.  They keep good time.  The only one I have to reset on an annoying basis is the newest my 'Strela' re-issue 3133 - the old Zim, Sturmanskie, Poljot and Vostok pretty much sit there.  I am not saying I never adjust them, but less than weekly, and some perhaps monthly.  Have I just been lucky?  I am guessing they may have been regulated with the crown at 3, and wouldn't be so accurate on the wrist, but I only wear them a day at a time now and again.

Have I just been lucky?

Edited by Jet Jetski
can't spell

All the Russian watches I have owned have been within -5 seconds to +20 seconds a day, some have been very accurate at a few seconds a day

• Thanks 1

Two of my most accurate watches have Polljot 3133, and 3105 movements, both "out of the box". Vostoks have usually been +15-20 seconds / day. Never had one that loses time.

• Thanks 1

OK, looks like I may have just been unlucky with my 3133 then!  It looks like it was hardly worn, so perhaps if it was not wound much, the oils have congealed (I heard that's a thing).  I bet there's a chap could sort it.

On 29/03/2019 at 13:15, Jet Jetski said:

OK, looks like I may have just been unlucky with my 3133 then!  It looks like it was hardly worn, so perhaps if it was not wound much, the oils have congealed (I heard that's a thing).  I bet there's a chap could sort it.

@simon2 (TWFs resident watch repairer essexclockandwatch.com) could be "your chap".... don't know how much a service for a chronograph would be though?