• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

How many of you use a watch as part of a work "tool". I did, a £25 Lidl chronograph, with a center seconds stop watch, for timing cement mixer drums, and working out hydraulic flows. Accurate enough for the job, and an indispensable part of my daily working tool kit. Is a real tool watch still a necessity,(other than divers), or a part of modern men's fashion. What do modern proper aviators wear ? :hmmm9uh:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Work ?  Now go wash your mouth out!     Due to hazardous working environments the wearing of a wristwatch was mainly ruled out, this was my preferred timepiece for over 25 years...  

Have a solar G Shock which has been beaten the living £$%^ out of! Used it when i did bathroom refurbs so it took an absolute pounding. Never let me down though!  Using this Casio SGW100 when i'm

I keep a few watches in my desk drawer at work. Don't really need all of them, but it's useful to keep new acquisitions away from the critical eye of my better half.

For work purposes I don't normally need a watch but today the battery in my wall clock failed and I was grateful for the watch on my wrist then.

40261389493_40004920a8_z.jpg

when the little hand hits 9 or 2 or 5 then its time for a tea break (fruit, sandwiches, pork pies & bounty bars may also be consumed) :thumbsup:

all safe an secure under 1 if not 2 pairs of gloves depending on the job. 

actual timing I can do on the equipment itself from onboard pc's clock or logs , otherwise getting someone to shout as required :teethsmile:

Edited by Rotundus

Work ? :swoon:

Now go wash your mouth out!  :tongue:

Due to hazardous working environments the wearing of a wristwatch was mainly ruled out, this was my preferred timepiece for over 25 years...

eZkiqhV.jpg

This too has now been retired (working), accompanied by a NOS variant purchased 2 years ago...

DfpfwWr.jpg

g2gKeC3.jpg

:inlove:

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I doubt anyone really needs a watch for work these days.  When I was working a perfect work watch would be one that runs slowly on your way in, speeds up until lunchtime, runs slowly again for an hour (or two) and then picks up the pace again until going home time.

Now that I'm not working, the perfect work watch should be one that does the opposite... and it should be compulsory for all workers :laugh:

My work involves pushing a mouse around a desk, and pressing a few keys on a keyboard, to create fine quality technical illustrations like this:

20181107_083659

So there's not much danger of damage, unless you count the possibility of desk diving marks on bracelet clasps.... :whistle:

I bought a new watch from Lidl in Austria this evening, thinking I could leave it here in the office in case I ever forget to put one on when I leave for Stansted airport every month (it's happened a couple of times now - nightmare! ).  However, I quite like it, so I think I'll take it home instead!  :laughing2dw:   It's ideal for work, comfortable to wear and light as a feather.  Best of all, it only cost €4.99 :swoon:

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Caller. said:

Bremont, judging by all the photo's they post. 

Biggles then. :laughing2dw:

1 minute ago, Davey P said:

So there's not much danger of damage

With that watch, and flimsy plastic keyboards, with your reputation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

With that watch, and flimsy plastic keyboards, with your reputation.

Good point, if there was a work based incident involving that TW Steel I think the desk would get broken before the watch :laughing2dw:

• Thanks 1

when i was working, due to the fees involved, most of the other lads wore something nice, though often undeserved, there were a lot of Patek or JLC. I spent mine on cars and women. 

retiring 10 years ago when i was 34 was a good idea. 

I travel quite with work so a GMT watch is something I use

large.1361862122_IMAG05932.jpg.5ab1598c1ce1b7bc719034ec45a8609a.jpg

In a previous role I needed to time things so various chronograps were used, X33, Aerospace, O&W including this Mirage

large.IMG-20110715-00067.jpg.9394ab51ae48250d684d8d74df4b20e3.jpg

But the watch I have used most is, like @Karrusel , a Smith's pocket watch which I used when working underground and still take underground with me on the occasional trip.

large.PC150343.JPG.bfdc74a7b96a50ce58832e72a4c784a7.JPGlarge.1167089026_IMAG06952.jpg.6e2e9074b772edea4194a4936a6dd050.jpg 

The GMT was developed in the 50s by Rolex in conjunction with Pan Am to assist their pilots when crossing several timezones, but that was before the advent of computers....the pilots were flying on instruments alone. These days, with all the electronic gear, computer aided displays and atomic time keeping, pilots don't really need a GMT watch, but I'll bet a lot of them still wear one, as do a heck of a lot of non pilots....just because they're interesting watches.

You know, I've been racking my brains to think of a profession that still has to wear a dedicated work watch, up at the hospital visiting today, and it  came to me. A specific Tool watch for less than a fiver. 

fob-watches_7090.jpg