• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Roger the Dodger

A tale of two watches. (7T32 content)

Last year, I picked up a blue 7T32-7F70 to go with my yellow one. I bought it cheaply as it was advertised as non running and I thought all it would need was a new battery, but in the end, it was totally kaput. So I waited patiently for a working one to turn up, and last week, one did. It hung around for a while with no takers so I put in a cheeky offer and it was accepted. At this point the pair have cost just £40. Now it was a case of taking the best bits from both and making one good one. The cases and bezels of both were pretty fair for near on 30 year old watches (one dates to 1991, the other to 1990) with the usual odd scratch here and there, commensurate with age. Both crystals were good, but the working one had a bent crown stem and the piezo alarm disc on the inside of the caseback was worn away in places so it was hit and miss as to whether it worked...when it did it was very faint. Both bracelets were pretty badly scratched up and the one I kept would need refinishing.

These are the two watches with their bracelets.

Seiko 7T32-7F70

The one on the left is the working one, the one on the right is the duffer...it's also missing its minute hand from the sub at 9.

Seiko 7T32-7F70

Both bracelets are pretty much the same...really scratched up.

Seiko 7T32-7F70

So out with both modules...both crowns have to be removed first. To remove the main crown, pull out to the first click and press here...

Seiko 7T32-7F70

...and to remove the alarm crown, pull out to first click and press here. 

Seiko 7T32-7F70

Now the module can be removed. This is the duff one so I'm not being too precious about laying it hands down...normally this would be the other way up.

Seiko 7T32-7F70

Next, the bezel comes off...pretty filthy under there!

Seiko 7T32-7F70

All the bits I'm going to re-use now go into the ultrasound cleaner...this is before switching on.

Seiko 7T32-7F70

...and after the cleaning cycle...yuck!

Seiko 7T32-7F70

Time to re-assemble. First the bezel spring and 'O' ring are lightly greased. I now use one of these 'Lubriboxes' to grease gaskets...it's so much cleaner that trying to smear grease on by hand, and it applies just the right amount...

It has two sponges impregnated with grease...you just pop the gasket in, close the lid, give a twist and it's done. They come with various different greases in them.

Seiko 7T32-7F70

Seiko 7T32-7F70

Bezel and rehaut back in place.

Seiko 7T32-7F70

Working module back in, with the unbent crowns and caseback from the non worker so the alarm sounds correctly.

Seiko 7T32-7F70

I chose the best of the two bracelets and got to work with a Scotchbrite mop in the Dremel, then finished with a green Scotchbrite pad. The re finished one is on the right.

Seiko 7T32-7F70

Here it is with its yellow sibling...

Seiko 7T32-7F70

Finally, I have one, nice, working watch. Now I just need to find a black one to complete the trio! 

• Like 14

Well Done that looks great , I especially like how you have taken the time to source the parts required just to save an old and beautiful watch :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Good work Roger, worth a temporary move to another forum section!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

well done rog, 7t32 is becoming a classic, much nicer than the 7t92. Becoming an accomplished watch repairer on the quiet eh? :clapping-hands:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice job, the bracelet looks to have come up really well to match the rest. Enjoy:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1