• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
relaxer7

Rolex Deep Sea Special

All fairly standard physics I guess ... apart ... from the bit where the glazing is fixed to the case at the contact point. Thats fairly amazing that they managed that bit "back in the day" because I would assume the tolerance thresholds of "non roundness spells disaster" would be minute.

Aesthetically !?!? The Jurys out for me ... :thumbsup: :laugh:

This was new to me btw ,,,, great article .... 

• Thanks 1

One of my friends is an ROV Superintendent on the DSV,s (dive support vessel) and he strapped his deepsea to the side of there ROV along with one of the ROV pilots G Shocks and filmed them on one of the dives. Needless to say the G Shock come up totally f@cked with a cracked screen but still went way beyond its rating by about 3 times and the deepsea didnt even break a sweat... It was a 3 mile dive...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just shows you how much you get paid being offshore! Bit of a gamble but good bragging rights in the end!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, relaxer7 said:

Just shows you how much you get paid being offshore! Bit of a gamble but good bragging rights in the end!!

He actually won the watch on a Christmas bonus ball it cost him £100 the lucky bastuard...:laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here is my homage to this great piece.

I also requested #123 (Jan 23rd, 1960) to coincide with the original dive date...

d2883b0a-f8f9-4970-9b83-ecd02e3bddea_zps

At over an inch tall (27+mm) it also has the largest sapphire crystal of any production watch.

HelbergCH1_61_zpscfdb010e.jpg

20181001_115843_zpsabm9ctcb.jpg

Nearly identical to Rolex Prototype #1 - Low Glass.

Totally cool and yes, I do wear it!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rob.B said:

One of my friends is an ROV Superintendent on the DSV,s (dive support vessel) and he strapped his deepsea to the side of there ROV along with one of the ROV pilots G Shocks and filmed them on one of the dives. Needless to say the G Shock come up totally f@cked with a cracked screen but still went way beyond its rating by about 3 times and the deepsea didnt even break a sweat... It was a 3 mile dive...

That's the best advertisement I've seen for a G Shock, if you have documented the dive, contact Casio. They could be financially grateful.:wink:

13 hours ago, Rob.B said:

He actually won the watch on a Christmas bonus ball it cost him £100 the lucky bastuard...:laugh:

Rob, are you saying one of your friends has one of these??!!

There were only 7 or 9 made (we're not quite sure) and the one that made the dive is sitting in the Smithsonian!

There were a few fakes made that have surfaced and even these go for big bucks!

51 minutes ago, Mechanical Alarm said:

Rob, are you saying one of your friends has one of these??!!

There were only 7 or 9 made (we're not quite sure) and the one that made the dive is sitting in the Smithsonian!

There were a few fakes made that have surfaced and even these go for big bucks!

No he has the James Cameron Rolex Deep Sea not one of them...I never opened the article just seen Deepsea

9 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Bit of an ulgy brute, isn't it? :hmmm9uh:

I think it looks quite 'cute' :flushed-face:

• Haha 1